Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby nietoperz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 am

It goes quickly, I know. Remember, though, that you also have Endless Nights, The Dream Hunters and the two Death minis to dip into, plus Overture is coming relatively soon.

The Kindly Ones is something special, isn't it?

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:43 am

When you finish that, start a Sandman thread so we can all gush about it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 105 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:45 am

nietoperz wrote:It goes quickly, I know. Remember, though, that you also have Endless Nights, The Dream Hunters and the two Death minis to dip into, plus Overture is coming relatively soon.

The Kindly Ones is something special, isn't it?

It's pretty crazy.

Has Gaiman ever actually said who hired Puck and Loki?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:48 am

Zero wrote:When you finish that, start a Sandman thread so we can all gush about it.

Will do.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 am

Punchy wrote:
It's pretty crazy.

There was a pretty long conversation about this in the AV Club comments for The Kindly Ones. The popular theories are Lucifer and Morpheus, and I lean towards the latter.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:13 am

Zero wrote:
There was a pretty long conversation about this in the AV Club comments for The Kindly Ones. The popular theories are Lucifer and Morpheus, and I lean towards the latter.

Yeah, I've been reading those threads, very good stuff. I don't think it was Lucifer, he's pretty much a good guy in Gaiman's world. I initially thought it was Desire, but now I think it being Morpheus himself makes the most sense, especially with his conversation with Death right at the end. He did it on purpose, but tried to pretend that he didn't. Like giving Nuala the pendant, but on a larger scale.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 am

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, I've been reading those threads, very good stuff. I don't think it was Lucifer, he's pretty much a good guy in Gaiman's world. I initially thought it was Desire, but now I think it being Morpheus himself makes the most sense, especially with his conversation with Death right at the end. He did it on purpose, but tried to pretend that he didn't. Like giving Nuala the pendant, but on a larger scale.

Odin says it best when he asks if he's a spider spinning his web or a deer caught in headlights. He's both. He's the fly and the headlights too.

Also Loki being 'fire and wit and beholden to no-one'. Puck and he would find the whole thing hilarious.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:17 am

Zero wrote:
Odin says it best when he asks if he's a spider spinning his web or a deer caught in headlights. He's both. He's the fly and the headlights too.

Also Loki being 'fire and wit and beholden to no-one'. Puck and he would find the whole thing hilarious.

Yeah, and Loki realising how much he was manipulated when he's back on the AcidSnake Table at the end.

It was so weird having The Corinthian back as a quasi-hero.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:26 am

Punchy wrote:
It's pretty crazy.

No. In fact part of my Masters thesis is the assertion that Morpheus did it himself - an assisted suicide of sorts.

glasgowceltic
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby glasgowceltic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:25 am

re-reading Sandman Preludes & Nocturnes

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1027 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 am

concreatjungle wrote:re-reading Sandman Preludes & Nocturnes

I'm seriously tempted to do that, after all this Sandman talk. But I've got so many other books in my mental queue!!

Just started reading Longshot last night. What's up with the odd talking (hearing color, tasting sounds, etc)? I didn't know that Ann Nocenti was writing like Grant Morrison before Grant Morrison was writing like Grant Morrison!
-

Zero
Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:35 am

I've been re-reading Sandman for the past month or so, lots of stuff in between too. It's still my favourite.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:07 am

I've always assumed that Puck and Loki weren't hired but rather bound to Sandman after he allowed them both to roam free after their respective stories were told as their masters/keepers didn't really notice their absence.

In a lot of ways, I think Morpheus was more calculating than we're led to believe. He does things with purpose and we see the purpose later on.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:17 am

Also, thanks GWAC for Age of Ultron.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby misac » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Foiled – I go through the indie books on DCBS before buying my books, and the second volume of this caught my eye, Curses, Foiled Again. It made me smile so I got this, the first volume. :D

Your typical teenager gets mixed up with a fantasy world story. It’s fun. Really liked the protagonist describing her life/family.

Art was really nice. Favorite part was when she first sees the fantasy world and the fairly queen just floats by. Also really liked when the super asshole dragon flies around and pulls her hair. The book is in black and white and the character is color blind, but when the fantasy world starts showing up she starts seeing color and they add it to the book so it was a cool effect.

Deadpool: Killustrated – This was disappointing, it wasn’t that funny. Apparently this continues the story of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe and ends with Deadpool Kills Deadpool I think the voice in his head/caption is what’s telling him to kill everything.

There were some neat bits, like DP teaming up with Frankenstein and a ripoff team like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I don’t know if I’ll get the next trade, it’s interesting but I don't know if it's worth it.

Are was great, Matteo Lolli! He used to draw the Marvel Adventures Spidey book I really liked.

Uncanny X-Force v.5: Otherworld – Wasn’t really enjoying this until the end. That was some hardcore shit from Psylocke, really cool twist to the story. Didn’t like her losing her emotions or whatever bs.

Was AoA Nightcrawler always a grumy pants? That’s why I didn’t like the thing with Psylocke, bunch of sourpusses on X-Force.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand