Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 172 posts

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby misac » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Foiled – I go through the indie books on DCBS before buying my books, and the second volume of this caught my eye, Curses, Foiled Again. It made me smile so I got this, the first volume. :D

Your typical teenager gets mixed up with a fantasy world story. It’s fun. Really liked the protagonist describing her life/family.

Art was really nice. Favorite part was when she first sees the fantasy world and the fairly queen just floats by. Also really liked when the super asshole dragon flies around and pulls her hair. The book is in black and white and the character is color blind, but when the fantasy world starts showing up she starts seeing color and they add it to the book so it was a cool effect.

Deadpool: Killustrated – This was disappointing, it wasn’t that funny. Apparently this continues the story of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe and ends with Deadpool Kills Deadpool I think the voice in his head/caption is what’s telling him to kill everything.

There were some neat bits, like DP teaming up with Frankenstein and a ripoff team like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I don’t know if I’ll get the next trade, it’s interesting but I don't know if it's worth it.

Are was great, Matteo Lolli! He used to draw the Marvel Adventures Spidey book I really liked.

Uncanny X-Force v.5: Otherworld – Wasn’t really enjoying this until the end. That was some hardcore shit from Psylocke, really cool twist to the story. Didn’t like her losing her emotions or whatever bs.

Was AoA Nightcrawler always a grumy pants? That’s why I didn’t like the thing with Psylocke, bunch of sourpusses on X-Force.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 386 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Otherworld was definitely the low point for Uncanny X-Force.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1133 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Keb wrote:Otherworld was definitely the low point for Uncanny X-Force.

Yup. Everything about it was just terrible.
ImageImageImage

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Deadpool v.1: Dead Presidents – This is more like it! I like those guys’ podcast so I liked the humor. Some of the one liners are dumb but they make me smile. I think the montage and the satellite were my favorite bits. :-D

I really liked Deadpool’s new sidekick. I didn’t like that Agent Preston was killed but at least she’ll still be around.

Art was great, Tony Moore! But I did have a complaint, Deadpool was drawn a lot of times without his mask. Made me think that if they do a movie it would be a lot like this. :P

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Grayson wrote:
Yup. Everything about it was just terrible.

Even the art? I like it mostly but sometimes it looks half finished.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:46 pm

misac wrote:Even the art? I like it mostly but sometimes it looks half finished.

In my opinion, the art was the worst part of that arc. :smt011
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:56 pm

The art was the worst part. Greg Tocchini or whatever his name is... HORRIBLE!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:32 pm

nietoperz wrote:It goes quickly, I know. Remember, though, that you also have Endless Nights, The Dream Hunters and the two Death minis to dip into, plus Overture is coming relatively soon.

The Kindly Ones is something special, isn't it?

I read The Kindly Ones 3 or 4 years ago. I completely forgot about the world while I was reading it.

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Picked up a couple of Hardcovers from half Priced books today. They were still in the shrink wrap and everything.

Avenging Spider-man vol. 1- Fun read. It was kind of nice taking a break from the Superior Spider-man and reading a series with good ol' wise cracking Peter Parker again.

Steve Rogers Super Solider- Haven't read it yet, but it looks interesting.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Keb wrote:The art was the worst part. Greg Tocchini or whatever his name is... HORRIBLE!

His work on Uncanny X-Force was just messy and incomplete. Almost like he said "fuck it" in the middle of working on it and just turned it in.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Yeah, I saw his name pop up somewhere in the Hickman F4 run and though "Oh god" but it wasn't as bad. I guess he filled in or phoned that shit in because it was bad.

Got the final book for the UXF run. Gonna read the last two tonight.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:55 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:Picked up a couple of Hardcovers from half Priced books today. They were still in the shrink wrap and everything.

Avenging Spider-man vol. 1- Fun read. It was kind of nice taking a break from the Superior Spider-man and reading a series with good ol' wise cracking Peter Parker again.

Steve Rogers Super Solider- Haven't read it yet, but it looks interesting.

I've never bought anything from Half Priced books, is the service good? do they have good offers?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Uncanny X-Force vols. 6 and 7: Final Execution books 1 and 2 - Gotta say I loved the end of this series. Phil Noto was a good choice for the last arc. All the artists were kind of hit or miss. Remender really connected with the characters in this.

Wish he could do that with Rogue in Uncanny Avengers.

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:51 am

Arion wrote:
I've never bought anything from Half Priced books, is the service good? do they have good offers?

Half Priced Books is technically a second hand store, so as far as selection and quality goes I suppose it would vary store to store. It all depends on what people have brought in and sold to the store. In regard to comics, on occasion I have found some hidden treasure there. It is a decent place to check out if you are trying to hunt down some back issues, though they may not necessarily have what you are looking for. Most of their comic issues go for $3 and under which is some cases can be a pretty good deal for older issues. Their trades and graphic novels typically go for approximately half the retail price. The only problem is, they don't tend to pay much attention to the condition of the comics they sell, so in some cases you may end up paying more than the book is worth if you don't check to see what it is going for online.

They also sell movies, cds, vinyls and stuff along those lines.

The one that is near my house has pretty good service overall. Basically what you would expect from a typical book store.

HNutz
P&#1062;&#1048;K&#1063; &#1042;&#1071;&#1025;&#106

Liked in: 732 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:05 am

Was this thread started by our friend who shall not be named?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand