Friday, July 1, 2016 • Morning Edition • "At least we're not The Comics Reporter!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What are you reading, Book-wise not comic-wise?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:17 pm

outsider wrote:So should I bump it down the list and move Peter Clines's ExCommunication to the top?

I mean its good... but not in the sMe league despite being more "iconic"
User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Trying to finish NOS4A2.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Spektre wrote:
There is a strange effect described correctly by quantum physics whereby if you pass light through two near field slits, two possible behaviors can occur.

If you measure the photons, so that you are aware which of the two slits they pass through, the light behaves as particles and clump up in a distribution of two lines on a film behind the slits.

If you do NOT measure the photons, and as such have no idea what slit they travelled through, the light acts as a wave, and what you observe on the film is an interference pattern like when ripples from two pebbles dropped in water interact with one another.

One explanation for the change in behavior between the two cases has classically been something in the measurement must have affected the photons and thus the outcome of the experiment.

So, an elaborate experiment was set up whereby (through beam splitters and prisms) you actually measure which slit the photons go through long in the future (long in a speed of light sense) from when they actually did and long after they have already formed either a clump of two lines, or an interference pattern. In fact we measure some of them but not others.

What we find is, the ones we measure actually formed two clumps, and the ones we do not formed an interference pattern. This is fascinating, as it would seem impossible that photons, that have already passed through a slit and struck a film, long before we actually measure which slit they passed through, could somehow be influenced by a measurement taken AFTER they struck the film...yet there ya go.


Sounds like the kind of book my father loves.
Did you think the book was easy to understand?
User avatar

achilles

Fagorstorm

Postby achilles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:00 pm

John Wesley Hardin's biography. Racist, self justifying bastard. And a mass murderer. But interesting for the dialect and look into the immediate post Civil War era from possibly the deadliest gunfighter of the Old West.

Xenophon's Persian Expedition. I understand they're making a movie out of that. It's sort of like 300, only with 10,000, and they make their way through the entire Persian Empire. It was a standard text in the original Attic Greek for schoolboys till about the end of the 19th century. It's a re-read for me.

Thus Spake Zarathustra. Like all philosophical books, not a fast read.
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm listening to James Patterson's "Sail".

It's a fun distraction, but nothing particularly surprising or imaginative, though.
User avatar

Cernunnos

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Cernunnos » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm

The Chronicles of Narnia
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:18 pm

achilles wrote:John Wesley Hardin's biography. Racist, self justifying bastard. And a mass murderer. But interesting for the dialect and look into the immediate post Civil War era from possibly the deadliest gunfighter of the Old West.

Xenophon's Persian Expedition. I understand they're making a movie out of that. It's sort of like 300, only with 10,000, and they make their way through the entire Persian Empire. It was a standard text in the original Attic Greek for schoolboys till about the end of the 19th century. It's a re-read for me.

Thus Spake Zarathustra. Like all philosophical books, not a fast read.


I've read Xenophon's book translated as Anabasis. I loved it when I first read it and I need to re-read it one of these days.
User avatar

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Arion wrote:
Sounds like the kind of book my father loves.
Did you think the book was easy to understand?


Like I said when I listed it, technically it is a white paper, not a book.
On the ease of reading scale I'd put it as very difficult. There is a good bit of wave function math to wade through.
User avatar

LoganRSA

penile prisoner

Postby LoganRSA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Running the Books

Essentially, the memoirs of a prison librarian. Very good book, especially for the glimpses of prison life from a rarely seen angle.

Image
User avatar

achilles

Fagorstorm

Postby achilles » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:08 am

Spektre wrote:
Like I said when I listed it, technically it is a white paper, not a book.
On the ease of reading scale I'd put it as very difficult. There is a good bit of wave function math to wade through.


I've never heard of any treatment of quantum mechanics that was easy...

It's just not an easy subject, since so much of it seems counter-intuitive.
User avatar

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Image

McTeague by Frank Norris - The classic book that Erich von Stroheim's classically butchered film Greed is based on.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:37 am

Image
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Spektre wrote:
Like I said when I listed it, technically it is a white paper, not a book.
On the ease of reading scale I'd put it as very difficult. There is a good bit of wave function math to wade through.


Ah OK. Good to know.
User avatar

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 pm

achilles wrote:
I've never heard of any treatment of quantum mechanics that was easy...

It's just not an easy subject, since so much of it seems counter-intuitive.


I wonder if it is counter-intuitive because we were taught so differently while growing up. I mean had you been taught QM instead of Newtonian physics would it seem easier?
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Spektre wrote:
I wonder if it is counter-intuitive because we were taught so differently while growing up. I mean had you been taught QM instead of Newtonian physics would it seem easier?


I think it would be difficult for me anyway. I always find science a little bit too complicated.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earth-2 NoctourneM, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 70 guests