Advertisement

FF #9 (I am an auteur Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

FF #9 (I am an auteur Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Another hilarious and fun issue of the secondary Fantastic Four title. I just love the wacky tone Fraction and Allred have struck for this series, and even though this issue has a fill-in artist, it’s still great. The best thing about this issue was the story with the kids. I felt in #8 that the kid’s stuff was a little tacked on, but here, it was pure awesomeness.

The story is basically that Bentley 23 is making a documentary about Vil and Wu, the weird fish kids. This documentary is brilliantly funny, Bentley’s character is so pompous, it’s great. I love how dark he is, how does a small child know what Fitzcarraldo is? I don’t even want to know. But I suppose this story does serve a function other than making me chuckle, Vil and Wu are mysterious, and I liked finding out a little bit more about them. I also liked seeing more of Ahura, and how Fraction subverted your expectations about him being an evil dick, you think he’s going to unleash his powers, but nope CAAAAANNNNOOONNBALLLL!

Yes, this issue was set at a pool-party, and it was great. Who was hosting this pool-party? Well, none other than Julius Caesar himself! OK, not really Julius Caesar, but the alien who pretended to be Caesar in the recent Fantastic Four #5. I’m really liking how Fraction is connecting these two books, and I’m glad it’s coming to the fore a little more. Caesar wants to help the FF go and rescue, well the other FF, which is going to be exciting.

As I said, the art here is a fill-in, but it’s Joe Fucking Quinones, who is awesome, so it doesn’t suffer at all. Quinones’ cartoon-style is similar to Mike Allred’s so it doesn’t miss a beat, and it really adds to the fun tone of this series. Plus, and I know this is going to sound skeezy, but Medusa, She-Hulk and Ms. Thing in bikinis… they looked pretty good (and I’m sure Scott Lang did too for any female or otherwise readers, and Dragon Man for any perverts out there).

This was just a top-notch comic, a really funny done-in-one plotline, and some very interesting set-up for the future. If the only Fraction you’re reading is Hawkguy, you should check this one out too Bro.

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: FF #9 (I am an auteur Spoilers)

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Which series is better: this or the main title?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:36 pm

superfictious wrote:Which series is better: this or the main title?

This

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Okay, that's what I've been hearing.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:13 pm

I liked seeing this series' and Fantastic Four's storylines really begin to crossover. I liked finding out more about "Charles Cotta." We didn't really learned all that much about him in his appearance in Fantastic Four.

Thank you Troy for the sig

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 am

I'm really surprised at how much I'm loving this book. I thought Allred would be the only selling point, but Fraction is really bringing his A-game.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand