Advertisement

Phantom Stranger review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 65 posts

Phantom Stranger review

Postby holtom2000 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Nah, not that thing DC is putting out these days - I'm talking the 1987 miniseries written capably by Paul Kupperberg with covers and art (though not finishes all the way through) by my favourite 'non clean' artist Mike Mignola.

I doubt this sort of comic would even be green-lighted today. It stars a bunch of C and D list DC characters, which were always my favourite as, let's be honest, there's always something about rooting for the under dog.
The Stranger was enjoying a higher profile in the DCU of late. A great appearance in BATO, a key role in Crisis, a starring role in Legends (where he jaws with Darkseid) and of course his own Secret Origins issue, where four possible origins were laid out. Which is better than what Johns definitely laid out -sorry, just saying.
In this series Eclipso is pulling the strings behind the scenes, empowered as the Lords of Chaos were set to finally take over and the Lords of Order were fading, as they felt they were supposed to.
Stranger, in a brief crisis of faith, proved powerless. Stripped of his powers, the Stranger was forced to rely on the help of some unlikely heros - Jimmy Olsen, Jim Gordon, Bruce Gordon (no relation that I know of), Val Vostok and more.
The story touches on what had been going on in Dr Fate but you don't need to read that to enjoy this.
This is a great little mini series that I find holds up. I even find some of the disasters depicted in this book a little disturbing (planes into buildings, rouge waves) seeing as how those actually went on to happen, but who knew?
anyway I'm sure you could pick this up fairly cheap and support your local comic store without reading whatever that series they're putting out is about. And some of you are young enough to HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN ALIVE WHEN THIS CAME OUT!!! Which makes me feel old... :)
Anyway, there you go, my retro review - go buy it!
Last edited by holtom2000 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Phantom Stranger review

Postby covalesky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Sounds great. If DC ever decides to reprint it I'm getting it.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 65 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:02 pm

I would too. Mine's held up over the years but I would be interested in a better quality printing.
Of course, they can barely bring themselves to reprint JLI or Suicide Squad from that era so I'm not holding my breath

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:08 am

Neither am I, but one can dream :)

There are a few books of that era I would love to read, Doctor Fate being one of them. But DC doesn't agree with me.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand