Advertisement

Batman '66 #1 (The Alf-Pole Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Batman '66 #1 (The Alf-Pole Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:01 am

DC’s tactic of releasing their digital-first comics in smaller weekly chunks ahead of the physical release is actually pretty damn clever. I was initially not planning on picking up this title, but the very positive word of mouth about the digital issues made me change my mind. Whilst I’m missing out on the innovative digital techniques, this is still a really fun comic that pays fantastic homage to the classic TV show.

The plot of this issue is mostly unimportant, The Riddler’s there, so is Catwoman, and Batman and Robin have to stop them. The true fun here is in how close it keeps the comedic tone of the TV series, and also how it’s not just a parody. It would be very easy for Jeff Parker to just go over the top with this, and just make fun of the show for being crappy and campy, but it’s clear he loves the show, and the jokes here are not at the expense of it, but make sense in context. Plus, he’s actually putting thought into the plots, into Joker’s riddles. This isn’t a throwaway sketch, it’s a proper Batman comic, just with a different type of Batman. DC are not embarrassed about this type of Batman anymore, and it’s great.

The artwork from Jonathan Case is probably even more important than the tone of Parker’s writing. He draws each character like the actor who played them, so Batman looks like Adam West, Riddler like Frank Gorshin, etc, which is a really effective technique. Case colours the book himself too, and the colouring really helps the 60s, pop-art look. It’s bright, colourful, and full of Benday dots.

This book was just a pleasure to read, and it was great to read a Batman book that wasn’t grim. I still like dark Batman, but there’s room in the world for all sorts of interpretations. Grant Morrison opened the door to Batman’s embarrassing past, and now it’s wide open, and it’s totally groovy.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Batman '66 #1 (The Alf-Pole Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:15 pm

I enjoyed this too, not as much as I thought I would, but enough that I'm aboard this on a monthly basis. I'm also glad that Parker put some thought into the plot and had batman using actual detective skills. This aspect of Batman's abilities is something too many of his modern writers seem to forget about.

Thank you Troy for the sig

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 am

Lot of fun. So what is with the innovative digital stuff?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 am

thefourthman wrote:Lot of fun. So what is with the innovative digital stuff?

I think they do cool stuff with the 'Biff! Zap! Pow!' sound effects.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 am

Oh.. that makes sense.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby misac » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:48 pm

I've only read up to #2 but it is really fun. And the art is so good.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand