Advertisement

GL: New Guardians #22 (The master at work Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

GL: New Guardians #22 (The master at work Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 am

I think it’s very daring of the new Green Lantern writers to debut the big new villain not in the main title, but in what is probably the 3rd or 4th biggest book in the franchise. Relic is here, and you need to be reading this title now to find out what’s going on with Hal and the rest. Justin Jordan may have walked off of Superboy, but it seems like he’s staying on New Guardians, and that’s a good thing, this book is showing a lot of promise, and whilst the writing is not spectacular, it’s getting good.

This issue is, as I said, an introduction to Relic, who is a survivor of ‘the Old Universe’, and I don’t think they mean Pre-Flashpoint. It looks like the Old Universe was destroyed by people who wielded the emotional spectrum, and so obviously, he’s going to be a threat to the GLs and the rest. Kyle goes to try and stop him, but he manages to drain away even the White Lantern power, and he traps Kyle in some sort of dream, and siphons him for all of the information he can about all of the various Corps.

What’s most intriguing to me about this series is that the Guardians drag Carol Ferris all the way out into space to save Kyle, because of their ‘connection’. As Carol herself says, what connection? Is Justin Jordan setting up a Kyle/Carol romance? That would certainly be something new, especially since it would piss of Hal, and I like it when Hal is screwed over. Stupid Hal.

In the end, Kyle is freed, but Relic escapes, and is heading for the rest of the Green Lanterns. Uh-Oh. This is a good book, but I feel that it’s lacking something that the other GL books have, in that it has no well-developed subplots of it’s own, other than a possible romance. Green Lantern has the weak new recruits, and the Star Sapphire who escaped, Corps has the Durlans and Fatality. But this is just Relic Relic Relic. I still like the book because it’s well-written and I like the character of Kyle, but there needs to be more time spent on the characters, on the new Guardians, and less set-up for future events in other titles.

The artwork from Brad Walker is unquestionably good though, I really like his style and I think his level of detail really suits a Lantern book, and especially the Lantern who makes the most detailed constructs.

Advertisement

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 112 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Re: GL: New Guardians #22 (The master at work Spoilers)

Postby Pink_Orchid » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:27 am

So Soranik Natu is just gone?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: GL: New Guardians #22 (The master at work Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30 am

Black_Orchid wrote:So Soranik Natu is just gone?

She and Kyle broke up ages ago. Soranik is still appearing in Green Lantern Corps occasionally.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand