Advertisement

SDCC: Sam Keith's The Maxx Gets Three Different Reprints

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 323 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Citing "a desire to make a bunch of money," IDW will be reprinting The Maxx in multiple formats.

Source: Press Release

Sam Keith's The Maxx originally ran for 35 issues, but Keith and IDW would really prefer to make money selling 115 issues worth of reprints, so they've just announced that they will be pubishing three different collected versions: Artist's Editions, a hardcover collection, and a new Maxximized edition which will feature brand new painted covers by Keith.

"We're really looking forward to seeing three revenue streams from the same twenty year old comic," said IDW Editor in Chief Chris Ryall, lighting a cigar with a $100 bill.

Here's the press release:

Sam Kieth’s The Maxx is back!
IDW Returns To The Groundbreaking Series In Multiple Formats

San Diego, CA (July 1, 2013) – Sam Kieth’s The Maxx was a runaway sensation when initially published. Kieth’s exquisite artistry and quirky stories resonated with readers who had never seen anything quite like it before. Exploring the strange relationship between two realities, The Maxx follows the dual identities of a man caught between the real world and a heroic fantasy realm called The Outback. The Maxx ran for more than 30 issues and inspired a popular animated show on MTV.

Now, 20 years later, the striking series is returning to comic shops with fully re-mastered and re-colored printings of the classic stories, and all supervised by Kieth to ensure the highest possible quality. The Maxx: Maxximized will also feature brand-new painted covers by Kieth Additionally, IDW will—for the first time ever—release a series of hardcover Maxx collections. And if that wasn’t enough, there will also be Artist’s Editions enabling readers to finally see Sam’s beautiful and delicate line work as they never have before.

“I want to thank my pal Ted Adams,” said Sam Kieth, “for giving me and some of my books a home at IDW… I hope he doesn’t lose his shirt!”

“Sam, as usual, is self deprecating to a fault,” said editor Scott Dunbier, “he’s an amazing artist and a good friend, and I could not be happier to have him at IDW.”

Kieth will also create a set of three comprehensive new art books called The Worlds of Sam Kieth that will showcase his incredible powers as an artist, but also tell the story of who he is and how he came to be the artist he is. The first volume is debuting at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con International. 

The original artist on Sandman, which he co-created with Neil Gaiman, Kieth’s enchanted style quickly grabbed the attention of readers, and his success allowed him to explore his own creations with The Maxx and Ojo. While his career in comics has found him working on some of the most iconic characters, he is arguably best known for creating The Maxx, and IDW is looking forward to being intimately involved in the next chapter of this classic character’s legacy. 

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 416 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: SDCC: Sam Keith's The Maxx Gets Three Different Reprints

Postby Keb » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:34 pm

I've always wanted to read this.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Me too, I loved the cartoon.

Hab

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1282 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:30 pm

I will definitely pick this up when it comes out.

Really hope that the animated series will be rereleased to coincide with this but that may be wishful thinking on my part.
ImageImageImage

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby GHERU » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Maxx HCs!

Finally!
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby GHERU » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Grayson wrote:I will definitely pick this up when it comes out.

Really hope that the animated series will be rereleased to coincide with this but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Complete-Mic ... s=the+maxx
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1282 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:41 pm

GHERU wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Complete-Michael-Haley/dp/B002WJHDJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1374370683&sr=1-1&keywords=the+maxx

Orrrrrr...I could have just looked at Amazon... :oops:
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand