Advertisement

Grant Morrison Wants to Destroy Batman

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 170 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:15 pm

In an interview with Newsarama, the popular wizard says his Batman Inc. finale will destroy the entire concept of Batman.

Source: Newsarama

In an interview with Newsarama head honcho Lucas Siegel, acclaimed comic book writer and grown-up who believes in magick Grant Morrison had a peculiar answer to a question about his long Batman epic ending with Batman Inc. #13 later this month:

"I really think a lot of people will hate it, because it’s super bleak. It kind of – to a certain extent it destroys the concept of Batman," Morrison explains, later claiming that "you cannot bring Batman into the light, is basically what I’ve learned. So we wanted to acknowledge that in this last issue – it’s quite nightmarish in a way."

Morrison goes on to say that people will eventually come around and start to understand his work, but it will take some time, and they will certainly be upset at first. Come on now, Grant. Surely you're not suggesting that comic book fans' reactions will be anything other than calm and reasoned. You wound us, sir. I'm never buying a Grant Morrison comic again! Grant Morrison ruined comics! Grant Morrison is like the George Zimmerman of comic book writers! Justice for Batman! Justice for Batman!

Ahem... so yeah, as we were saying, we're sure comic book fans won't overreact to this. We're not known for that.

But is Morrison right? Will his comic destroy the entire concept of Batman?

Impossible, we say. A man who dresses up like a bat and fights bad guys, who is so smart and awesome that he can kick anyone's ass, even Superman, given enough "prep time?" That's rock solid right there. Morrison must be high if he thinks...

Oh, what's that? He's always high? Okay, that makes perfect sense then. The stoned out of his gourd Morrison also talks about Multiversity, the Son of Batman animated movie, and the time he ate a talking hot dog, man, and you can read about at least two of those things at the full interview.

Batman Inc. #13 hits stores on July 31.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

SporkBot
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Re: Grant Morrison Wants to Destroy Batman

Postby SporkBot » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:32 pm

With DC mucking up so many other aspects of their universe, Wayne was probably feeling left out with just that whole "Catwoman booty call and angry costumes-on rooftop sex".

Ehh...Morrison may write over my head from time to time (more than Straczynski, not as much as Alan Moore), but I'm willing to give whatever he dishes out a fair shake.

Still...he's coming right out and saying he's wants to "destroy" Batman. I guess that's more honest than what DC execs have done with certain other characters I don't need to name.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:37 pm

(Nowhere in the interview did he actually say he wanted to destroy Batman.) :wink:

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby misac » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:40 pm

:roll:

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what you can do to the concept of Batman at this point which would shock anyone. I think it's pretty much acknowledged the character can never really "win" the war he's fighting.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:58 pm

It really won't matter much, as DC will ignore most of what Morrison did with Batman, like it seems to have done with Morrison's Superman.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 211 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Juan Cena wrote:It really won't matter much, as DC will ignore most of what Morrison did with Batman, like it seems to have done with Morrison's Superman.

This.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:16 pm

I find it interesting that since the Batman/Superman movie was announced, Warner Bros has gotten a ton of criticism from the larger sphere outside comics journalism for relying too heavily on Batman.

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Juan Cena wrote:It really won't matter much, as DC will ignore most of what Morrison did with Batman, like it seems to have done with Morrison's Superman.

2nd THIS!

Will Ripamonti
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 113 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Grant Morrison Wants to Destroy Batman

Postby Will Ripamonti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:23 pm

It's not much relevant.
Technically Batman Incorporated is not a Batman comic book, it's a sock sponsored by DC Comics that Grant Morrison's ego use to masturbate in front of a mirror.

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Re: RE: Grant Morrison Wants to Destroy Batman

Postby The Beast » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:27 pm

FBtron wrote:It's not much relevant.
Technically Batman Incorporated is not a Batman comic book, it's a sock sponsored by DC Comics that Grant Morrison's ego use to masturbate in front of a mirror.

OMFG, metaphor of the year! :-D
Last edited by The Beast on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will_Ripamonti
expert hobo killer

Liked in: 18 posts

Postby Will_Ripamonti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:31 pm

It's not much relevant.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 556 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Woohoo! New poster!
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: RE: Grant Morrison Wants to Destroy Batman

Postby chap22 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:44 pm

FBtron wrote:It's not much relevant.

it actually is a Batman comic book, and it's a tremendously entertaining Batman comic book at that. it's been better than Snyder's book and better than B&R (with the exception of the Annual) for quite a while.

and I say that as somebody who normally shit-talks Morrison as much or more than anybody.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby PDH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:05 pm

There are bits I've really liked. Damien's whole arc, in particular. The death was really well written.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand