Advertisement

Grant Morrison Wants to Destroy Batman

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 0 post
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: RE: Grant Morrison Wants to Destroy Batman

Postby superfictious » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:15 pm

chap22 wrote:it actually is a Batman comic book, and it's a tremendously entertaining Batman comic book at that. it's been better than Snyder's book and better than B&R (with the exception of the Annual) for quite a while.

and I say that as somebody who normally shit-talks Morrison as much or more than anybody.

Yeah, but you get the feeling that Grant's just about ready to move on.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:27 pm

superfictious wrote:
Yeah, but you get the feeling that Grant's just about ready to move on.

well, I think he's told his story. it probably should feel that way.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Re: Grant Morrison Wants to Destroy Batman

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Will_Ripamonti wrote:It's not much relevant.
Technically Batman Incorporated is not a Batman comic book, it's a sock sponsored by DC Comics that Grant Morrison's ego use to masturbate in front of a mirror.

-- TT --

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:54 pm

chap22 wrote:it actually is a Batman comic book, and it's a tremendously entertaining Batman comic book at that. it's been better than Snyder's book and better than B&R (with the exception of the Annual) for quite a while.

and I say that as somebody who normally shit-talks Morrison as much or more than anybody.

This. Morrison's Batman was closer the the Batman I actually want to read. I got tired of the post-Dark Knight Bats that was more "Dark" than "Knight."

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 37 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Grant Morrison, Does He Rape Your Batman Comics?

Yes. Yes he does.

But one super punch later... and it's all a bad dream.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Grant Morrison, Does He Rape Your Batman Comics?

Yes. Yes he does.

Well, he made Bruce Wayne into a "deadbeat dad" until his baby momma dropped the kid off (who he later killed), Batman "died" not once but TWICE in his run (Batman R.I.P & Final Crisis, put Batman on a first-name basis with Gotham's "working girls"...

I think, if someone wanted to make that argument, they'd have a little ammunition.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Grant Morrison, Does He Rape Your Batman Comics?

Yes. Yes he does.

Do You Yell At Your Morrison Comics?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Where I am with Batman...I think I just had one reboot/rehash too many.

Snyder's run started off so strong...it just felt right. But the last few issues I picked up just felt like...I don't know.

Man, I don't know. I love Bruce Wayne. Even after almost 75 years, I think there are still great stories to tell about Bruce Wayne as Batman.

I just don't feel like we're getting them. Again, other people's mileage may vary, but man...for whatever reason, I simply do not feel like Bruce Wayne-as-Batman is as good as it should be, and Dick Grayson-as-Batman...was just better.

I'm sorry. It was just better. I don't know why. But Dick Grayson has been the best Batman I've read in, I don't know...15 years?

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Spektre
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Spektre » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:30 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Where I am with Batman...I think I just had one reboot/rehash too many.

Snyder's run started off so strong...it just felt right. But the last few issues I picked up just felt like...I don't know.

Man, I don't know. I love Bruce Wayne. Even after almost 75 years, I think there are still great stories to tell about Bruce Wayne as Batman.

I just don't feel like we're getting them. Again, other people's mileage may vary, but man...for whatever reason, I simply do not feel like Bruce Wayne-as-Batman is as good as it should be, and Dick Grayson-as-Batman...was just better.

I'm sorry. It was just better. I don't know why. But Dick Grayson has been the best Batman I've read in, I don't know...15 years?

Would very much be interesting if they brought the DCU back and allowed actually character development as opposed to as has been aptly called out this New 52 circle jerk.

Seems like many compelling stories could be had of an aging Bruce Wayne and passing the torch to Dick. Same with other legacies.

Heck, to keep the franchise going I don't mind a little Lazurus Pit action every now and again at long intervals...

Imagine after Dick had been Batman for 10 years or so, Bruce getting reinvigorated to where they are close to the same age.

And every now and then a hero dies. And stays dead.

But no, I'm sure these stories are much more compelling.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Postby HNutz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Spektre wrote:Would very much be interesting if they brought the DCU back and allowed actually character development as opposed to as has been aptly called out this New 52 circle jerk.

Seems like many compelling stories could be had of an aging Bruce Wayne and passing the torch to Dick. Same with other legacies.

Heck, to keep the franchise going I don't mind a little Lazurus Pit action every now and again at long intervals...

Imagine after Dick had been Batman for 10 years or so, Bruce getting reinvigorated to where they are close to the same age.

And every now and then a hero dies. And stays dead.

But no, I'm sure these stories are much more compelling.

I would have loved it if Bruce had semi-retired as Batman, doing the globetrotting thing for Batman, Inc. and the JLA thing while Dick serves as Gotham's Batman.
Last edited by HNutz on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Spektre wrote:And every now and then a hero dies. And stays dead.

In comics? That is a bald faced lie, and you know it. :groucho:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 pm

SporkBot wrote:With DC mucking up so many other aspects of their universe, Wayne was probably feeling left out with just that whole "Catwoman booty call and angry costumes-on rooftop sex".

Ehh...Morrison may write over my head from time to time (more than Straczynski, not as much as Alan Moore), but I'm willing to give whatever he dishes out a fair shake.

Still...he's coming right out and saying he's wants to "destroy" Batman. I guess that's more honest than what DC execs have done with certain other characters I don't need to name.

Those DC execs are not honest people.

SporkBot
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm

HNutz wrote:I would have loved it if Bruce had semi-retired as Batman, doing the globetrotting thing for Batman, Inc. and the JLA thing while Dick serves as Gotham's Batman.

That's something I could get behind. After Final Crisis, I knew Bruce would be back, but at the same time, I did enjoy Grayson's run. So when they decided to have a "global" Batman and a "Gotham" Batman, I loved the idea. It kept the status quo, but at the same time let Grayson move up. But that clearly didn't jive with DC.

Arion wrote:
Those DC execs are not honest people.

True, but Morrison is not a DC exec.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Morrison sounds defeated and exhausted in the interview. That he was trying to bring something back to the Batman books and DC higher up's demanded the usual. So Morrison gave them just that.

Re-reading Batman & Robin and the first vol. of Batman Inc was such a fun trip. They really are my favorite portions of his run. Heck, I'm starting to warm to Batman R.I.P. more as a mockery and parody of his toward everything wrong in a Batman book.

GET THE KOOL-AID AWAY FROM ME I THINK IT'S EFFECTING MY MIND!!!!

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Black_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 3 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Black_Orchid » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Do You Yell At Your Morrison Comics?

I did. Then I used them as packing paper.

I for one endorse Morrison's scorched earth policy on exiting Batman. :smt077

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand