Advertisement

Marvel Congratulates Its Own Eisner Award Winners, Snubs Everyone Else

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 am

In a press release claiming to "congratulate Eisner Awards winners," Marvel really only named their own books.

Source: Press Release

Controversy enveloped the blogosphere this morning when Marvel Comics sent out a press release which purported to congratulate the 2013 Eisner Award winners, but actually snubbed all other comic companies, only mentioning the winners that work for Marvel, specifically, David Aja and Chris Samnee, for their work on Hawkeye and Daredevil respectively. The rest of the winners were summed up in one line as "other nominees and winners." The Outhouse, bastion of fair and balanced comics journalism, spoke to some industry professionals in a mescaline-induced hallucination to find out more.

"What? Are you on drugs?" asked Marvel Editor in Chief Axel Alonso when questioned about the snub. Well, yes. We just said that. Damn.

"Of course we only congratulated our winners," Alonso explained. "That's what we do every year. It's what everyone does every year."

Is it?

"Yes, it is," he insisted. "Man, you guys must be really desperate for a story if you're jumping all over this."

Maybe we are, and maybe we aren't. Then again, maybe we are. But was what Alonso was saying true? Is this a common practice?

"I think Marvel's problem is the wording of their press release," guessed Image Comics Grand Poobah Robert Kirkman. "See, in the headline, they just say that Marvel 'Congratulates Eisner Award Winners.' When Image puts these out, we usually say something like 'Image Comics Takes Home Shitload of Eisner Awards.' Marvel has set expectations that they're going to congratulate all Eisner Award winners with their misleading headline."

Kirkman has a point. Image's press release this year explicitly names the Eisner Award winners they are congratulating right in the email subject: Vaughn, Staples, and Graham. The headline is even more obvious, reading "Saga Sweeps, King City Triumphs." With the conversation properly framed, the embedded YouTube video of Publisher Eric Stephenson rapping "Hey Scottie, Tell Me How My Ass Tastes" at Dark Horse Editor in Chief Scott Allie feels completely appropriate.

But what about the award winners themselves? How do they feel?

"Leave me out of this, Outhousers," said the curmudgeonly Tom Spurgeon, whose Comics Reporter took home the award for Best Comics-Related Periodical. "You know you're being ridiculous, as usual."

Obviously Spurgeon is too polite to say anything, showing class and tact that Marvel's press release clearly lacks. Here it is, so you can decide for yourself, and we can justify this silly article with some actual information:

Marvel Congratulates The 2013 Eisner Award Winners

Each year the Eisner Awards ceremony recognizes the best and brightest creators for their contributions to the comics industry. Marvel is pleased to congratulate David Aja & Chris Samnee who all took home an award from the 2013 ceremony held during Comic Con International in San Diego, this past weekend.

Marvel creators earned Eisner Awards for the following:

Best Penciller/Inker – David Aja, HAWKEYE

Best Penciller/Inker – Chris Samnee, DAREDEVIL/(and Rocketeer-IDW)

Best Cover Artist – David Aja, HAWKEYE

Marvel would also like to congratulate all the other nominees and winners at the 2013 Eisner Awards.

If you haven’t checked out these award winning stories, head on out to your local comic shop and pick up these great collections!

HAWKEYE VOL. 1: MY LIFE AS A WEAPON TPB (DEC120744)

Written by MATT FRACTION
Art by DAVID AJA & JAVIER PULIDO

Cover by DAVID AJA

ISBN: 978-0785165620

ON SALE NOW!

HAWKEYE VOL. 2: LITTLE HITS TPB (MAR130726)

Written by MATT FRACTION

Art by DAVID AJA, STEVE LIEBER, & FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Cover by DAVID AJA

ISBN: 978-0785165637

ON SALE 7/30/13!

DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL. 3 TPB (DEC120746)

Written by MARK WAID & GREG RUCKA

Art by CHRIS SAMNEE, MARCO CHECCHETTO & KHOI PHAM

Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

ISBN: 978-0785161011

ON SALE NOW!

DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL. 4 TPB (JUN130690)

Written by MARK WAID

Art by CHRIS SAMNEE & MIKE ALLRED

Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

ISBN: 978-0785161028

ON SALE NOW!

DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL. 5 PREMIERE HC (MAY130730)

Written by MARK WAID

Art by CHRIS SAMNEE

Cover by CHRIS SAMNEE

ISBN: 978-0785161042

ON-SALE 8/20/13!

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 625 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Marvel Congratulates Its Own Eisner Award Winners, Snubs

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:35 am

kethy wrote:I see an awards show in last night on TV. So I shocked to see the all marvel’s members in this show and enjoy also congratulate replace with each others. Each year the Sneerer Awards ceremony recognizes the best and brightest creators for their contributions to the comics industry. Marvel is pleased to congratulate David Aja & Chris Samnee who all took home an award from the 2013 ceremony held during Comic Con International in San Diego, this past weekend.
Marvel creators earned Eisner Awards for the following:
Best Penciller/Inker – David Aja, HAWKEYE
Best Penciller/Inker – Chris Samnee, DAREDEVIL/ (and Racketeer-IDW)
Best Cover Artist – David Aja, HAWK EYE
So I like this show and enjoy it at list 5 hours in last night. I think in this short period I get lots of knowledge and information about all those big personalities.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand