Advertisement

SDCC: Interview with Matt Kindt

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Sure, we talk a little Mind MGMT, but we also cover the important stuff like how he takes his coffee.

The Outhouse: There are seven comics in September coming out with your name on it.  When will it come out that you're the only face for a commune of writers that write under the name Matt Kindt?

Matt Kindt: That would be great!  I wish I had an army of people at home writing for me, that would be awesome and so much easier.  Even just an intern would be awesome.  But I swear it's just me.

OH: How do you do it?

MK: My daughter saved me a couple hours of work by working on screen colors for the latest issue of Mind MGMT I was working on.  So you just have kids, put them to work, give them an allowance.  But unfortunately, she's too busy to help me next month, she has a tight schedule. (laughs)

OH: What can we look forward to next in Mind MGMT?

MK: I think thirteen should be coming this month.  It's the start of a new story arc and every issue will be centered around a different character.  The first issue of the arc features the homemaker and she's a character I've been waiting to get to.  So each issue will be self contained and feature a different character.   Issue 18 will be a double sized issue with extra pages and explosions and stuff because I couldn't get it all into one issue.  And it will be the same price as a regular issue because I didn't want it to cost more.

OH: What's your response to the current theory that you will be writing every comic for the big two by year's end at your current rate of output?

MK: (laughs) Yes, actually, it's going to be the new53.  I'm adding another one because I think they could use one more. 

Honestly it's just a quirk of the schedule.  Like the Marvel Knights Spider-Man thing has been done for a while and they tell me not to talk about it until they are ready to put it out.  All the villains titles have been done for a while.  So it just looks like my schedule is busy, but it's not that bad.

OH: How many hours a day to you usually work?

MK: About twelve hours.  But it's split up. I take breaks to spend time with my daughter at various points.

OH: Do you have a private work area, or is it more communal?

MK: We just finished a little area on the back of the house that's now my studio, but everybody can come and go.  I think it's important for my daughter to see me having fun working.  Growing up, I assumed I'd have to get a regular job in some office, so I didn't want her to think you can't stay home and do something fun for a living.

OH: Does she have any aspirations of following you into comics?

MK: I don't know, we just make sure she has art supplies, books, comics, everything she might be interested in to play with.  One morning she was up a couple hours ahead of me and when I go into her room, she had built an entire city out of cardboard and duct-tape, with everything drawn out.  She doesn't really play video games, but we read together a lot.  None of us have read Harry Potter, so we are working on the books together now and then we'll watch the movie after.

OH: How do you take your coffee, and how many cups do you drink in a day?

MK: That is a super serious question and very important.  Usually I wake up around eight, unless I sleep in and I make coffee and have two mugs of coffee.  One thing of sugar and then cream until it's like 50%.  I can't tell you exact numbers, but I can tell by the look.  Nothing fancy, unless I go to Starbucks or something.

OH: What's your go-to Starbucks drink?

MK: My favorite is venti, three-pump ice mocha, non-fat, no whip.  Sometimes extra shot when I'm in San Diego.

OH: Anything else you want to touch on?  Any rumors that have popped up perhaps?

MK: I read something on line this morning about me and Sinestro and it was my personal photo that my friend took because I saw the Mind MGMT banner and I thought awesome and wanted a picture in front of it.  My wife has been making these embroidered t-shirts and I just told her I want all villains, so I just happened to be wearing that.  Then this whole rumor sprouted out.

OH: So no truth to the rumor?

MK: It's cool that people care enough, plus I like conspiracies.  So I'm not going to say yes or no, how about that?  I'll leave it open.

Written or Contributed by Angela Jones & Jeremy Shane

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Re: SDCC: Interview with Matt Kindt

Postby jeremy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Also, I have to say, Matt is a pretty cool guy. Great to talk with and just nice.

We asked him to sign our Mind MGMT HC and he did a sketch too, which was awesome

A lot of the creators are pretty cool. David Petersen did the same thing when I asked him to sign Black Axe. And all the guys from Elephantmen did drawings in all the trades I bought from them as well when I just asked them to sign one of them.

Pretty cool when you see how crazy and busy SDCC is.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand