Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers #10 (Gandhi didn't have the power Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Uncanny Avengers #10 (Gandhi didn't have the power Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:16 pm

It seems weird to say this about a title that combines both of Marvel’s biggest franchises and is the flagship of Marvel Now, but I really think that Uncanny Avengers is underrated. Seriously, nobody is talking about it. The only time it caused any serious discussion was when Rick Remender had the temerity to interpret a metaphor differently than Comics Alliance. When really, what we should be talking about is how Remender is telling a story with a huge epic scale, whilst also keeping things close and personal to the characters, all the while exploring that Mutant metaphor in interesting new ways and having crazy shit happen. Plus, Acuna art!

This latest issue picked up where the last one left off, the Uncanny Avengers have broken off into 2 factions, one lead by Wolverine, the other by Captain America, and the Apocalypse Twins’ new Horsemen are after them I really loved the revelation here that the reason Cap snapped on Wolverine last time out was due to the fact that he only just came back from Dimension Z recently, that he’s actually aged 10 years without anyone noticing. I haven’t been reading Remender’s run on Cap, but I’m kind of regretting it now.

I also liked getting a greater insight into Wonder Man’s new pacifist ideals, it’s certainly an interesting way to go with a superhero, has it ever been done before? I don’t think so? Wolverine’s torture of Ozymandias was also pretty bad-ass.

But the main thing here is the attacks from the Horsemen, as each of them in turn attacks the Avengers. This could get a little repetitive, but the personal nature of each of these dead characters stops it from being so. All of these Horsemen were either killed by a member of this Avengers team, or by a relative of them, so when Wolverine has to come face to face with Daken again, or Wonder Man with his brother, or Thor with Sentry, you know it’s going to be big and emotional. I think my favourite moment in this issue was Thor’s fight with Sentry inside the Apocalypse Twins’ pocket universe. I just love the insane cosmic scale of Remender’s story, that the Twins have an entire Universe as their secret base, it’s crazy, and the kind of stuff only comics can do.

I really think more people need to be talking about this title, it’s Remender’s X-Force on crack and with Thor. I know it’s not an underdog title like X-Force was, but still, it’s awesome, and totally not offensive to anyone anymore, I swear.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Uncanny Avengers #10 (Gandhi didn't have the power Spoil

Postby Grayson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:55 pm

As much as I have been enjoying this series so far, it amazes me that Remender doesn't seem capable of writing a decent Rogue. Like, at all. His Rogue is terrible. I like the concept of Rogue being on an Avenger team but not if this is the version of Rogue that we are going to get.

Aside from that, this was another enjoyable issue of the series. The art is what it has been since Daniel Acuña took over as the regular series artist. Personally, I can't wait until Steve McNiven takes over.
ImageImageImage

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 pm

I wasn't really impressed with this issue. Lots of hokey (Really? Thor asking Oxymandias to sign for a hammer package?)

However, Remender was firing on all cylinders from issues 6 to 9, and the plans that he revealed during ComicCon interviews sound incredible, so I have high hopes for the book's future!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:00 pm

I really think more people need to be talking about this title, it’s Remender’s X-Force on crack...

You don't really know what crack is, do you?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
You don't really know what crack is, do you?

No, but that's a good thing.

Saying something is 'INSERT WHATEVER on crack' is a common phrase.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:25 am

I love the story Remender's telling. it's huge. it feels daunting. the heroes are already up to their necks in bad, bad shit and I don't know how they'll get out.

now if only plot was all that a story required...

because Jesus CHRIST the characterization and interpersonal dynamics in this book are so sophomoric and irritatingly grating that it makes the book a chore to read. Wanda and Havok's interaction this issue? cheesy. Rogue all of a sudden crushing on over-protective Thor...wut? and Rogue's general completely shrewy bitchiness to everyone else? blargh. the only thing that felt close to "real" was Jan and Cap's conversation (which even that verged on over-the-top) and Wolvy's description of Sunfire to Ozymandias. everything else was crap.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:51 am

chap22 wrote:I love the story Remender's telling. it's huge. it feels daunting. the heroes are already up to their necks in bad, bad shit and I don't know how they'll get out.

because Jesus CHRIST the characterization and interpersonal dynamics in this book are so sophomoric and irritatingly grating that it makes the book a chore to read. Wanda and Havok's interaction this issue? cheesy. Rogue all of a sudden crushing on over-protective Thor...wut? and Rogue's general completely shrewy bitchiness to everyone else? blargh. the only thing that felt close to "real" was Jan and Cap's conversation (which even that verged on over-the-top) and Wolvy's description of Sunfire to Ozymandias. everything else was crap.

Yeah, Remender seems to think we want to see all possible banging combinations play out. It seems like Cap/Wanda, Wanda/Simon, Alex/Wanda, Alex/Janet, and Rogue/Thor have all been teased in the past few issues. The only one of these relationships I'd be vaguely interested in reading is Alex/Janet, and that's only because it would give Alex something to do besides flounder.

Rikk Odinson
Society Member

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:32 pm

chap22 wrote:I love the story Remender's telling. it's huge. it feels daunting. the heroes are already up to their necks in bad, bad shit and I don't know how they'll get out.

Verily.

I don't really get all the hype about this guy. He's a decent enough comics writer but that's about it.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Rikk Odinson wrote:

Verily.

I don't really get all the hype about this guy. He's a decent enough comics writer but that's about it.

He bought A LOT of good will with Venom and Uncanny X-Force. Venom was a great way to revitalize a tired concept, and Uncanny X-Force was damn near perfect with the exception of Otherworld.

Rikk Odinson
Society Member

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:39 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
He bought A LOT of good will with Venom and Uncanny X-Force. Venom was a great way to revitalize a tired concept, and Uncanny X-Force was damn near perfect with the exception of Otherworld.

Didn't read Venom and I agree about X-Force. It was good, for the most part.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm

agreed. and I absolutely <3 his Cap run. but everything else I've read that he's written beyond those three books...meh. at best meh.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Kind of how I've felt about Fraction's Marvel work not including Hawkeye or Iron Fist.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:20 pm

chap22 wrote:agreed. and I absolutely <3 his Cap run. but everything else I've read that he's written beyond those three books...meh. at best meh.

I read the first two issues of his Cap and loved it, but I thought it might be best to wait for word-of-mouth and Comixology sales. JRJr is killing it there, though. I think Dean White is part of the reason his art is looking so damn good.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:55 pm

I read the first two issues of his Cap and loved it, but I thought it might be best to wait for word-of-mouth and Comixology sales. JRJr is killing it there, though. I think Dean White is part of the reason his art is looking so damn good.

huh. if anything his art is the weak link on that book IMMO.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:03 pm

chap22 wrote:huh. if anything his art is the weak link on that book IMMO.

Agreed. I love that book but I can't wait for Pacheco to take over as the artist.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand