Advertisement

Young Avengers #8 (Demiurge! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 56 posts
Title: Shitlord

Young Avengers #8 (Demiurge! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:17 pm

I’ve been kind of down on Young Avengers up until now, ranting and raving about how it’s trying too hard to please it’s Tumblr-fans (and no, it wasn’t me who wrote the letter in this issue’s column, but I agree with it 100%), and I’ve mostly been right, but for some reason, this issue clicked with me a lot more than most of the others did.

Perhaps it’s because Gillen kept the plot moving at a quicker pace and didn’t use as much cutesy dialogue, I don’t know. It may be because I’m a sucker for Alternate Universes and this had loads of them. It may also be just because the music reference here was to someone I personally love and someone who most Tumblr-teens have no clue about in the amazing Gram Parsons. I am that shallow, if you reference Gram, I’m more inclined to like you. I guess that’s the big problem with this series, Gillen is hyper-focused on appealing to younger fans, and it runs the risk of excluding people like me (and I’m not even old, I’m 24). When that hyper-focus goes away, then things improve. I dunno, I’m rambling.

I suppose the main reason I liked this issue was the ending, where STUFF FUCKING HAPPENS. Like the team being split up, and Loki running into Leah, who, whilst I haven’t read Journey Into Mystery, I know to be important, and also dead. Plus… Prodigy kissed Hulkling! This was a great moment, it was a surprise, because I don’t think Prodigy was ‘out’ as a gay character before, and I particularly liked it because I fucking hate Wiccan and love anything that fucks with his boring romance. I’ve already talked about how much I love the idea of Wiccan secretly manipulating Hulkling into loving him, and I like this even more. Seriously, Teddy, dumb the mopey little idiot and get with Prodigy, he’s smart and cool and wears awesome goggles! I suppose you should also say… multi-racial gay love triangle, comics are reaching the 21st century!

Jamie McKelvie’s art was fantastic once again, I particularly love the stuff set in ‘Mother’s’ home universe, with all of the panel borders, that was great stuff. And the creepy mouth-faced Oubliette The Exterminatrix’s were awesome.

So yeah, I liked this issue of Young Avengers the best, maybe it is just the Gram reference, maybe it actually is getting better, I don’t know. What I do know is that no comic makes me question my brain as much as this one, which has to be a good thing. Right?

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Re: Young Avengers #8 (Demiurge! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Also, Noh-Varr's beard... all kinds of awesome.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 178 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Leah isn't dead. JiM spoilers. She got sent back in time and became Hela.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 115 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

As usual Punchy is wrong about relationships in comics. :smt011

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm

doombug wrote:As usual Punchy is wrong about relationships in comics. :smt011

Hulkling and Wiccan are terrible, this cannot be refuted.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Punchy wrote:
Hulkling and Wiccan are terrible, this cannot be refuted.

There's nothing wrong with Wiccan and Hulkling as a couple. They're both awesome characters and fun together for the most part.

The fact that you think Prodigy, one of the biggest assholes during the Civil War is a good choice for Teddy makes me question if you actually like the character or not. :lol:

(And yeah I know Prodigy isn't a complete douchebag but christ, the guy's a moron)

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Isn't this a different Prodigy? The Prodigy who drunkenly challenged Iron Man to a fight in Civil War is a totally different guy.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:29 am

fieldy snuts wrote:Isn't this a different Prodigy? The Prodigy who drunkenly challenged Iron Man to a fight in Civil War is a totally different guy.

Yeah, this is Prodigy from the New X-Men, not the one from The Slingers.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Puncho, you should very much read JIM. It's the best of all the animals.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm

doombug wrote:There's nothing wrong with Wiccan and Hulkling as a couple. They're both awesome characters and fun together for the most part.

The fact that you think Prodigy, one of the biggest assholes during the Civil War is a good choice for Teddy makes me question if you actually like the character or not. :lol:

(And yeah I know Prodigy isn't a complete douchebag but christ, the guy's a moron)

Hulkling and Wiccan are in no way awesome, they are boring characters. Hulkling is mildly better than Wiccan, but only just.

Their only character traits are that they are 'gay nerds', there's nothing else there.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Why in the fuck are there 2 characters at Marvel named Prodigy that have nothing in common?

Seriously, what kind of stupid shit is that? :smt011

An editor dropped the ball somewhere.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 am

doombug wrote:Why in the fuck are there 2 characters at Marvel named Prodigy that have nothing in common?

Well, consider how inconsistent basic characterization and continuity is at Marvel I can't imagine two z-listers are at the top of any editors list.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 380 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:46 am

doombug wrote:Why in the fuck are there 2 characters at Marvel named Prodigy that have nothing in common?

well when the mutant was introduced the slinger wasn't being used... and it makes complete sense based on what the mutant's powers were to be named prodigy...

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand