Advertisement

Batman/Superman #2 (Language. Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Batman/Superman #2 (Language. Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Man, I bet DC feel stupid right about now. They relaunch this book with Batman having top billing, only for Warner Brothers to announce a movie called ‘Superman/Batman’! D’Oh! I suppose it’s easy enough to change the title of this series in the future, but still, it makes me laugh.

Anyways, this series continues to be a very enjoyable read, and after only 2 issues, it’s already up there with the best stuff DC is publishing. The story here is that Batman and Superman have been transported to Earth-2 by the mysterious ‘Kaiyo’. There’s not too much in the way of plot development here, because it’s basically both characters meeting their alternate universe counterparts and doing the usual thing and fighting each other. So whilst this was standard stuff, there were enough interesting character wrinkles in there to make it worth it. It was a lot of fun seeing the contrast between these two Universes, and seeing the differences between the Earth-2 Batman and Superman, and the ‘real’ ones. It was also interesting to find out that on Earth-2, Superman is married to Lois and Batman is married to Catwoman, I haven’t been reading Robinson’s book, so that was cool, and the reactions from ‘our’ heroes was cool.

The best scenes in this comic were either the awesome fight between the two Batmans, where they just knew each other’s moves, or the scene where Clark gets to reunite with his parents, that was very emotional. The real star of this series is Jae Lee, whose art is just mind-blowingly good. I do think he suits the Batman side of the series better than Superman, but that’s just a personal preference. I just love the architecture he draws, Gotham looks truly gothic and creepy. And man, the Earth-2 Wonder Woman that shows up at the end… amazing. This book is worth it just for the art, but luckily, the story is strong too.

As I said, this particular issue was light on plot, but made up for it with the small things. This book really gets at what makes these two iconic characters tick, and does that whilst showing multiple versions of them, well done Greg Pak.

Advertisement

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Re: Batman/Superman #2 (Language. Spoilers)

Postby syxxpakk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:01 pm

This book has been a little tough for me to digest, but I'm giving it the standard one-arc run before deciding on it. I'm thinking it probably reads better in trade.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 789 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Punchy wrote:I haven’t been reading Robinson’s book

:shock:

You should be. Your really should be.
ImageImageImage

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Punchy wrote:Man, I bet DC feel stupid right about now. They relaunch this book with Batman having top billing, only for Warner Brothers to announce a movie called ‘Superman/Batman’! D’Oh! I suppose it’s easy enough to change the title of this series in the future, but still, it makes me laugh.

Anyways, this series continues to be a very enjoyable read, and after only 2 issues, it’s already up there with the best stuff DC is publishing. The story here is that Batman and Superman have been transported to Earth-2 by the mysterious ‘Kaiyo’. There’s not too much in the way of plot development here, because it’s basically both characters meeting their alternate universe counterparts and doing the usual thing and fighting each other. So whilst this was standard stuff, there were enough interesting character wrinkles in there to make it worth it. It was a lot of fun seeing the contrast between these two Universes, and seeing the differences between the Earth-2 Batman and Superman, and the ‘real’ ones. It was also interesting to find out that on Earth-2, Superman is married to Lois and Batman is married to Catwoman, I haven’t been reading Robinson’s book, so that was cool, and the reactions from ‘our’ heroes was cool.

The best scenes in this comic were either the awesome fight between the two Batmans, where they just knew each other’s moves, or the scene where Clark gets to reunite with his parents, that was very emotional. The real star of this series is Jae Lee, whose art is just mind-blowingly good. I do think he suits the Batman side of the series better than Superman, but that’s just a personal preference. I just love the architecture he draws, Gotham looks truly gothic and creepy. And man, the Earth-2 Wonder Woman that shows up at the end… amazing. This book is worth it just for the art, but luckily, the story is strong too.

As I said, this particular issue was light on plot, but made up for it with the small things. This book really gets at what makes these two iconic characters tick, and does that whilst showing multiple versions of them, well done Greg Pak.

Agreed. This is a fun book and the true hero here is Jae Lee. His best work in decades.

"Wonder Wow..." :-D

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Punchy wrote:Man, I bet DC feel stupid right about now. They relaunch this book with Batman having top billing, only for Warner Brothers to announce a movie called ‘Superman/Batman’! D’Oh! I suppose it’s easy enough to change the title of this series in the future, but still, it makes me laugh.

Great review Punchy. This issue felt a little padded with all the silhouettes after a while but it's still a great read. DC is starting to feel less like a 90's Image fanwank and more like The Bronze Age sans CoIE. Batman's exchange was really smart, even letting Catwoman figure it out first was great and Superman's was really heartfelt, although I could have done with a little more fight, fight, fight before cooler heads prevailed.

Unlike Superman's other monthlies, I'm really enjoying this title and Unchained.

Grayson wrote:

I'll second that motion; Earth 2 is the tits. It's got a lot of cohesion that people find lacking in the regular continuity.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Grayson wrote:

Is there a trade?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Punchy wrote:Is there a trade?

Yeah, the first volume of Earth 2 should already be out.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Punchy wrote:
Is there a trade?

There's a hardcover but the TPB doesn't come out until October.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:14 pm

syxxpakk wrote:There's a hardcover but the TPB doesn't come out until October.

Ooops... :oops:

Still, it's worth it.
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Looks like Earth 2 took a more aggressive stance with their super-villain problem by imprisoning them in cryostasis.
Joker
Creeper
Sinestro
Aquawoman ? :shock:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:38 am

the issue was gorgeous but, the story was completely lacking. It felt like I missed an issue.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 260 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 am

Great review as usual.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:41 am

Nice review. I do like how it feel's super decompressed, but meaty at the same time. I disagree with GOSD though, Lee's work in the early Dark Tower stuff was more emotive. His lack of backgrounds tends to leave things cold feeling.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand