Advertisement

Pacific Rim Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Black_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 3 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Re: Pacific Rim Thread

Postby Black_Orchid » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 am

outsider wrote:As much as I love RDJr, this movie was more entertaining overall than IM3.

IM3, Man of Steel, even the upcoming Wolverine are about a single character coming to grips with who they are and they're place in the world. IM3 was kind of boring compared to the previous two. Might have been the lack of rockin' music.

PR was just wall to wall mayhem. Last night I watched Godzilla vs Mechagodilla (the 90's one). It starts off with destruction, ends with destruction, lots of battles in between. I kept wondering what MechaG would have been like if it had the same budget as PR.

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 30 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 am

Black_Orchid wrote:
IM3, Man of Steel, even the upcoming Wolverine are about a single character coming to grips with who they are and they're place in the world. IM3 was kind of boring compared to the previous two. Might have been the lack of rockin' music.

PR was just wall to wall mayhem. Last night I watched Godzilla vs Mechagodilla (the 90's one). It starts off with destruction, ends with destruction, lots of battles in between. I kept wondering what MechaG would have been like if it had the same budget as PR.

Awesome.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby doombug » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:58 pm

pastajoe wrote:
Man of Steel was better.

While I enjoyed Man of Steel, it absolutely wasn't.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:11 pm

doombug wrote:While I enjoyed Man of Steel, it absolutely wasn't.

Agreed.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

sdsichero

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Pacific Rim & Lost Planet 3 Plan Collaboration

CAPCOM announced last week that it will be doing a collaboration between Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim film and CAPCOM's own Lost Planet 3 game, which is set to ship on August 29. The film will open in Japan on August 9, and more details about the collaboration will be announced in the future.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Saw it last Wednesday. I really loved it- so much fun. It's obviously not the best movie ever, but I think it is a great summer action movie. Too much this year has been way too depressing (exception- that first 20 minutes of Star Trek). The only movie I had as good a time at this year was The Heat.

I've seen a lot of discussion of "military tactics" and it makes me puzzled- if you're asking "why didn't they..." you might as well backtrack and throw out your suspension of disbelief regarding building giant robots too.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 pm

The monster fights were great, but the characters and story were pretty terrible.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
And why spend the beginning of the movie explaining that they need two people that are as similar as possible (twins, brothers) and then pairing up two people who couldn't be more dissimilar?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:The monster fights were great, but the characters and story were pretty terrible.

And why spend the beginning of the movie explaining that they need two people that are as similar as possible (twins, brothers) and then pairing up two people who couldn't be more dissimilar?

They said that the Jeagers simply worked better if the two pilots were close, not that they didn't work at all. That's what the fights were about. They wanted to test if the two pilots could think similarly in a combat situation.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Black_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Black_Orchid » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:The monster fights were great, but the characters and story were pretty terrible.

It's not about being similar, it's about two people who sync. Brothers, sisters, spouses, soul mates. Two people who can read each other wordlessly.

Like a good comedy team.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:02 pm

The Marshall knew the Austrialian hotshot like his pop and he was much easier to tell. Plus as the Marshall said he had nothing to block or fight. He embraced the drift with no care cause he knew he was gonna die no matter what.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:14 am

Haha it's in Japanese but it looks like one of the kaiju has a Twitter account...

(hint he was in a video posted earlier)

https://twitter.com/knifeheadkun

pastajoe
FROGMAN

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby pastajoe » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:36 am

mrorangesoda wrote:I've seen a lot of discussion of "military tactics" and it makes me puzzled- if you're asking "why didn't they..." you might as well backtrack and throw out your suspension of disbelief regarding building giant robots too.

Suspension of disbelief is different than implausible plot holes. If you assume these people are smart enough to build giant robots, then you would expect them to be smart enough to have strategic planning sessions, along with the other issues I stated in a previous post.

While entertaining, I preferred Man of Steel because it wasn't as predictable, was a new take on a well known story, and didn't have the numerous plot holes of Pacific Rim. But that's why Burger King makes it your way.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Zechs wrote:
The Marshall knew the Austrialian hotshot like his pop and he was much easier to tell. Plus as the Marshall said he had nothing to block or fight. He embraced the drift with no care cause he knew he was gonna die no matter what.

I meant the two leads. I get that they fought well together, but backgrounds and compatibility were supposed to be a big deal too. And at that point in the movie, they were adversarial... romantic tension I guess. But given all the soldiers they had, and the importance, it seemed like a forced choice.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum