Advertisement

Quick, random question: Would you have death in comics?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: Quick, random question: Would you have death in comics?

Postby Herald » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:58 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Thanks for the responses everybody -- I appreciate the thought you guys put into these.

I've always tried really hard to view comics as...I don't know. I read war comics when I was a kid, Sgt. Rock and other DC Comics, and I believe Charlton reprints of war comics from the 50s, where planes would get shot down and people would get shot and killed, or blown up in tanks.

I read G.I. Combat, with the Losers and the Haunted Tank, and the Unknown Soldier, where again, there was certainly death. Jonah Hex and Scalphunter and Bat Lash and Gravedigger, stories where deaths were plentiful.

And I think that the Dark Phoenix Saga, and Flash and Supergirl in COIE, are the Gold Standard for mortality in comic books. I would never have brought Barry Allen back. Supergirl isn't really that Supergirl, so I was fine with that. Jean Grey had contacted a cosmic entity, so I wasn't horrified by her return in X-Factor, back in the day.

And I do understand Hawk's point of view -- if Thanos never kills anyone, or Darkseid, what's the point? The bad guys have skills, have powers, are ruthless. They would win too, at some point, right?

But at the same time...I always remember one of my favorite comic books from my youth: Turok, Son of Stone. In it, he and Andar, his brother...those stories were timeless. They fought dinosaurs and lived and survived in the Lost Valley, and I never grew tired of those stories, though I acknowledge that there weren't nearly as many issues of that series as, say, Batman.

In Batman, I always chose to believe that he was just smarter, and the best fighter, and the best detective, and that he would train his pupils to be very nearly his equal.

I asked this question because Forever Evil is coming from DC, and I don't really know what to expect, but I guess I'd be surprised if all the good guys walk away. And we're firmly in an era where, again, death in comics isn't how I would do it, but it has long been established that "event deaths" and "shock value deaths" are how comics are done now.

Sometimes, though...I just wish we were back in the days where Batman was always smarter than the Joker, where Superman always got there in time. Where someone would've saved Ted Kord at the last second.

I know that isn't as fun for some people -- maybe many people. But I never felt bad about it, at all. I know the bad guys "should" win sometimes. Most times, though, I'm still simple enough where I wish those occasions were few and far between.

THIS.

I see little point in superheroes if they largely fail to save people, or worse, if they die so often and so horribly that they clearly can't even protect themselves.

Advertisement

Mr. Log
phrase IV

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: I'm starvin'!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 pm

If I were writing a title like Suicide Squad, there would be just enough death to maintain tension and keep people guessing. That's a premise that needs an appreciation of death. However, I wouldn't use it as a clearinghouse for morts.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Death is entirely meaningless in superhero comics. Think of how much better superhero comics would be if deaths were permanent.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Exactly. Permanent. All of it.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Death has become too irrelevant in superhero comics. I don't want to see characters 'dying' on Monday to come back on Tuesday (or Wednesday).

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Death in comics works best when it's not a revolving door to the afterlife.

I wonder if anyone can name 10 fairly recognizable characters from the Big Two that have NOT died and come back?

Mr. Log
phrase IV

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: I'm starvin'!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:35 pm

HNutz wrote:Death in comics works best when it's not a revolving door to the afterlife.

I wonder if anyone can name 10 fairly recognizable characters from the Big Two that have NOT died and come back?

If you count massive extinctions, nobody. I don't generally count those, though, since they're just plot devices. Ten? Hmmm, tricky. Must ponder. :smt017

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 26 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Log-Man wrote:If I were writing a title like Suicide Squad, there would be just enough death to maintain tension and keep people guessing. That's a premise that needs an appreciation of death. However, I wouldn't use it as a clearinghouse for morts.

I'd agree with this.
Image :smt023
Image :smt011

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Log-Man wrote:
If you count massive extinctions, nobody. I don't generally count those, though, since they're just plot devices. Ten? Hmmm, tricky. Must ponder. :smt017

Yeah, if you want to get technical, half of the MU was killed during the Infinity Gauntlet affair.

But the X-Men were "killed" in Dallas and the Avengers were "killed" by Onslaught... do you count those, too?

Spider-Man died in "The Other", Peter Parker "died" a few issues back... Johnny Storm's the third member of the FF who's died and come back... Captain America & Batman both died and came back in REMARKABLY similar ways... Wolverine's "died" and "been brought" as a Horseman of the Apocalypse...

Without doing any real research... Banshee? Nope, nnever mind, isn't he back from the dead (sorta) now?

This IS tough...

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:24 pm

HNutz wrote:Death in comics works best when it's not a revolving door to the afterlife.

I can get it started:

the Hulk (I don't think the end of McFarlane's art run/Ground Zero counts, he clearly wasn't dead)
Iceman
Cyclops
Atom (Ray Palmer...he's left, but never died)
Zatanna
Capt. Marvel (Billy Batson version)
Nightwing
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:40 pm

chap22 wrote:I can get it started:

the Hulk

Chappy - you should know better!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:49 pm

chap22 wrote:Nightwing
Technically correct - but 'Dick Grayson' has been killed before.
ImageImage

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Postby HNutz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:59 pm

I don't remember if Cyclops was actually dead or just believed dead after the whole Apocalypse possession thing...

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Amoebas wrote:Chappy - you should know better!

Meh. Don't count that one either

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 pm

chap22 wrote:Meh. Don't count that one either

Deny it all you want - he was d.e.a.d.

As dead as the other time Hulk died...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand