Advertisement

Hawkeye Annual #1 (Key-Fob Jobby Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Hawkeye Annual #1 (Key-Fob Jobby Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:23 am

Kate Bishop takes centre-stage in the first ever Hawkeye annual, and it’s a hell of a lot of fun. The story begins with a return to the conversation we sort of read in #11. Only this time, we actually see what the words are, because we aren’t dogs (no offence to any dog readers out there, I have checked my biped privilege).

Clint is in some kind of funk, and Kate tries to bring him out of it, but he’s so infuriating that she heads off to LA with Lucky instead. I said it about #12, but I’ll say it again, it’s very exciting reading these issues as they explain in greater detail what exactly went down in the dog issue.

So, Kate and Lucky are in LA, where they get tangled up in a revenge scheme from Madame Masque, who was humiliated by Kate in #4 and #5. I don’t really want to talk about the plot here, not because it’s not good or important, but because, like the Hawkeye series as a whole, this book is more about a certain mood or a sense of style. This issue was wonderfully drawn by Javier Pulido, who makes some interesting choices here, particularly in his heavy use of silhouette. Seriously, every second panel in this issue is silhouetted. It’s a little distracting at first, but by the end, I was really digging it, it made for a unique read. Hawkeye is one of those books where the artwork is so important, so I’m sure there’s some reasoning behind this choice, is it because the villain of this story is someone who hides their face? Hmmm…

I also really liked the little cartoon version of Kate inside of her narrative captions, they were cute and funny. That narration was also very important to this story, because getting inside her head made me really like Kate Bishop a lot more. Up until now, in both this book and Young Avengers, she’s been this surface-level bad-ass who’s good at everything and is super-cool and great, but here, we find out who she really is. I particularly liked the scenes with her Dad and her step-mother, they were really illuminating. This was another great issue of Hawkguy, there’s not much else to say really, you need to be reading this book.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 407 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Hawkeye Annual #1 (Key-Fob Jobby Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 am

It is a good book but I found myself being let down by the constant overuse of silhouettes. At first it was interesting, then cute but after the umpteenth blackedout individual it just smacked of artistic laziness to me.

Nice addition of Hippie-Cat to the cast.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:25 am

Great issue!

I liked the cartoon captions too. They reminded me of the similar device in Fraction's Casanova work, though it was more of an aside there than anything.

I guess now it makes sense why Wacker announced that the issues will be alternating between Clint and Kate for the next few issues. I'm looking forward to seeing the return of the artist who did the romance comic covers a few issues back, and hope the next few issues delve headfirst into the business with the Clown.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1052 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:29 pm

The first thing that I want to say is that this may have been my least favorite issue of this series so far. Now, having said that, I want to say that I still really enjoyed this issue and it was one of my favorite books this week. I love that this series isn't just about Clint Barton. In a lot of ways, this series actually reminds me of James Robinson's Starman run. When Kate Bishop was first introduced during Young Avengers, she was easily the breakout character of the book for me. Unfortunately, the character has had some rough spots since her introduction but Fraction is taking the time to show us once again why she is capable of standing toe-to-toe with more powerful and experienced heroes.

Not only has Fraction expanded Clint Barton's world outside of the Avengers, he has also begun expanding Kate's. Now she is starting to develop her own rogue's gallery and what a way to start than with Madame Masque! I can't wait for all of the pieces to fall into place because I have a feeling that when they do, the results are going to be huge!
ImageImageImage

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:40 pm

It would be ideal if these stories ended with Kate running a newly revamped West Coast Avengers in a few years. I have no use for Young Avengers, so some of the cast of that book could make the move with her.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Grayson wrote:The first thing that I want to say is that this may have been my least favorite issue of this series so far.

agreed. I did not like the art at all in this issue and found the cartoon narration redundant and boring. Otherwise I love this book.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:51 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:It would be ideal if these stories ended with Kate running a newly revamped West Coast Avengers in a few years.

Team her up with Mockingbird as the two leaders and I'm sold. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:02 pm

As for this issue, I agree that Madame Masque makes a great first addition to Kate's rogue's gallery. I thought the artwork really added a lot to the story and I agree that this was true of the little cartoon panels in particular. If there was one fault I had with this issue it would be that I thought it was a little long. I'm not sure this story need to be anything more than a normal issue of Hawkeye rather than an annual. In the end though, this feeling wasn't anything near enough to wreck my enjoyment.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand