Monday, May 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "72 slogans - collect 'em all!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Superior Spider-Man

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Punchy wrote:Suckperior Spider-Man?

Inferior Spider-Man? :smt102

guitargod694

cheese

Postby guitargod694 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Rockman wrote:IIRC the comedic Defenders mini ran at the same time, which was written by Giffen and DeMatteis really showed how unfunny GLA really was.

That Defenders mini was awesome.

Also, I agree that Venom has been surprisingly worthwhile.
I expected to be done with it after Moore and then Remender left... but it's held up reasonably well.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Rockman wrote:GLA tried too hard imo.

IIRC the comedic Defenders mini ran at the same time, which was written by Giffen and DeMatteis really showed how unfunny GLA really was.

Slott desperately wants to be like the continuity knights from the 80's who held fast to continuity while telling solid stories, and he just can't do it.

well, thing is, that GLA mini wasn't supposed to be a Bwa-haha type deal. it was actually a serious story with some laughs thrown in.

now yes, CLEARLY that Defenders mini was funnier (and better), but it was really 2 different types of stories.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:54 pm

guitargod694 wrote:
That Defenders mini was awesome.

Also, I agree that Venom has been surprisingly worthwhile.
I expected to be done with it after Moore and then Remender left... but it's held up reasonably well.

The Defenders mini from 2005? DeMatteis, Giffen and Maguire, right?

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Rockman wrote:Slott desperately wants to be like the continuity knights from the 80's who held fast to continuity while telling solid stories, and he just can't do it.

The 80s were a different time. Marvel was in a stronger editorial position back then. Really good writing requires really good editing and to write within a continuity box and still write well requires the writer and the editor to work hard together. I don't think Marvel has the strong editors these days that they did back then to make that work.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Arion wrote:

Ayup

guitargod694

cheese

Postby guitargod694 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Arion wrote:

Correct. Worth tracking down if you haven't read it.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:33 pm

chap22 wrote:well, thing is, that GLA mini wasn't supposed to be a Bwa-haha type deal. it was actually a serious story with some laughs thrown in.

now yes, CLEARLY that Defenders mini was funnier (and better), but it was really 2 different types of stories.

Honestly I thought the main focus of it was supposed to the be comedy. I recall it being advertised as a comedy book as well. :drunk The few follow-ups he did to it (Great Lakes X-men etc...) were basically 100% comedic.

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Joe Casey's Defenders was better.

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Joe Casey's Defenders was better.

I cannot agree with you on that.

MikeinLA

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby MikeinLA » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Slott's GLA was advertised as darkly comedic in contrast to his more lighthearted She-Hulk book. Both were great, and much more clever than the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Defenders book, which only had nice art going for it.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 pm

I did not like the GIffen Defender's book either. It was like a comic version of Dumb and Dumber. GLA and She-Hulk are both good though.

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Yes.

As was Casey's Vengeance follow-up.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:29 am

no. and STFU, Chris, Vengeance was TURRIBLE.

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:58 am

chap22 wrote:no. and STFU, Chris, Vengeance was TURRIBLE.

Gawd, I have to agree with Chap on this, and to add all of Joe Casey's work was pretty bad.

leave a comment with facebook