Advertisement

Batman inc #13 *spoilers*

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Batman inc #13 *spoilers*

Postby Zechs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:09 pm

I've seen a few panels of it posted, but I haven't read it. Don't know if I will. I just figured to give Morrison the same due since he too had a lengthy run on Batman. At first, I didn't enjoy his Batman run. Then he began Batman & Robin and that opinion changed. I didn't want to get off the wonky ride.

I'm kind of sad it's over. The irony being it's a dance we know will never end no matter what Bruce does in this. DC will bring either Damian or Talia back, because that's the nature of the business.

How long you give till that happens?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Batman inc #13 *spoilers*

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 pm

Whenever Snyder gets around to doing a Ra's Al Ghul story.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:30 pm

I wasn't surprised at the ending.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:18 am

And so, Grant Morrison’s epic tenure on Batman comes to a close, and it was quite an ending. Especially since the main message seems to be that, with Batman, there can be no real ending.

There’s a lot going on in this issue, we finally revisit the opening scene of Batman Inc Vol. 2 #1, with Bruce Wayne being arrested by Commissioner Gordon, there’s the final battle against Leviathan, and within that, the final confrontation between Batman and Talia. I was most impressed by the Talia and Batman stuff here, it felt truly momentous, and the fact that they found time to kiss before they began to fight was really interesting. I also found Talia’s dialogue about how she was trying to do this to raise Batman above fighting the likes of the Riddler and Man-Bat, she’s become a truly great villain under Morrison’s pen, it’s a shame that she died here.

Because yes, Talia gets shot and killed by Kathy Kane, which was pretty surprising, but made sense. So, in the end, Talia and Leviathan are defeated, and Batman is supposedly dead. But we all know he’ll be back. Gordon’s narration in this issue is truly excellent, as we see that he probably (definitely) does know that Bruce Wayne is Batman, but he won’t ever tell anyone. This makes sense, and stops Gordon from being seen as a complete idiot.

The message of this series is that Batman always come back, that ‘it never ends’ and ‘it probably never will’. This is not only Morrison talking about how tough and resilient Batman is, but also commenting on the nature of superhero comics. As long as DC are making money and he remains a viable IP, then Batman will never end. Even a legendary comics writer doing a 7 year run isn’t allowed to end Batman. But in the end, that doesn’t matter, because Morrison told his story, which was really the story of Bruce, Talia and Damian and their fucked-up family and that ended pretty satisfactorily.

But did it end? The epilogue to this story is very intriguing, as Ra’s Al Ghul makes his triumphant return, and we see that he has a whole nursery of Damian clones growing in jars. Will Morrison return to tell this story? Who knows, but the symbol at the end of this series isn’t the Batman symbol, it’s the Ourobouros, a snake eating it’s own tail. This story has come full circle.

I’m probably doing this issue a disservice, there’s a lot of complex stuff to unpack, but I think I need to do a re-read, maybe not of the whole Morrison era, but perhaps just the Inc series. But mostly, this was an exciting conclusion to a great story. Chris Burnham’s art was once again excellent, he really has grown as this story has gone on, that splash-page was amazing. Burnham is like Frank Quitely but with the layouts of JH Williams, it’s awesome, and I can’t wait to see what he does next, and man, that cover was amazing, I want a poster of it now. And what’s next for Morrison? It’s certainly going to be odd not having a Batman series from him to read, when the heck do we get Multiversity?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:10 am

Burnham is on a secret project at DC. With the fill-in two issues ago, that could have been his test run. You also forgot to mention that the graves of Talia and Damian were unearthed meaning Ra's has them now. Along with Lord Death Man, who's blood he's extracting to remain alive. No doubt also a way out to have the other two CHEAT DEATH.

Hee hee.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Last page spoiler

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Yeah, Talia will definately be back at some point. It would be interesting to see what Snyder has in store for her if he ever puts his spin on her and Ra's.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:25 pm

draco x wrote:Yeah, Talia will definately be back at some point. It would be interesting to see what Snyder has in store for her if he ever puts his spin on her and Ra's.

Or how much he ignores what Morrison Did.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Or how much he ignores what Morrison Did.

Doubtful since Morrison through Snyder and Zero Year a bone in this issue.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Doubtful since Morrison through Snyder and Zero Year a bone in this issue.

Yeah he could had easily referenced No Man's Land and continue give a middle finger to the New 52 (like he did with Lesile, Kathy, and Gordon knowing Bruce is Batman), but he did do that.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand