Advertisement

Daredevil 29 (spoilers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Daredevil 29 (spoilers)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:19 pm

How can one title be so consistently good?!??!?!?!

Last issue's fairly implausible cliffhanger is explained away here, and Matt has a new ongoing crusade to replace his 2-year struggle with Bullseye. I don't know much about the Sons of the Serpent, but I hope this storyline avoids treading similar ground to Matt's earlier battles with Megacrime.

Also, who else is pretty certain that Nelson & Murdock will be temporarily changing its name to Walters & Murdock next issue?
Last edited by TimDrake'sDumbWings on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Daredevil 30 (spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:28 pm

Book is SO good. A few Tracksuit Draculas short of being Hawkguy good, bro, but a very close second. Waid is just killing it on this.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:44 pm

Just really glad Bullseye is finally back. That guy is too good a villain to stay dead.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:17 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:34 am

Punchy wrote:#29

Thanks, Punchy. You read it yet?

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:35 am

chap22 wrote:Book is SO good. A few Tracksuit Draculas short of being Hawkguy good, bro, but a very close second. Waid is just killing it on this.

I still think Daredevil edges out Hawkeye just barely. Maybe it's because I prefer Daredevil more as a character.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1015 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
I still think Daredevil edges out Hawkeye just barely. Maybe it's because I prefer Daredevil more as a character.

I think it's because, lately, we've been getting more story out of 3 issues of Daredevil than 3 issues of Hawkeye.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Re: Daredevil 29 (spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 am

I think you're both nuts. Hawkeye is, no hyperbole here, a brilliant comic book. Daredevil is just standard superheroics. it's damn-near perfectly-executed superheroics, yes, but Hawkeye is on a whole other level from anything being done by the Big 2 right now, on a technical level. and on top of that, it's enjoyable as all holy fuck too. Bro. 8)
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:18 am

chap22 wrote:I think you're both nuts. Hawkeye is, no hyperbole here, a brilliant comic book. Daredevil is just standard superheroics. it's damn-near perfectly-executed superheroics, yes, but Hawkeye is on a whole other level from anything being done by the Big 2 right now, on a technical level. and on top of that, it's enjoyable as all holy fuck too. Bro. 8)

Im going to have to go with HNutz on this, chap. While I love Hawkeye and the ways that it plays with the medium, we've watched the same goings-on from different perspectives for the past 3 issues. I'm really excited to read upcoming issues since they'll more directly deal with developments in Clint and Kate's respective stories. Daredevil is well-told AND contains things actually happening. It gets the edge!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 am

bro, buncha Ritalin-needing ADD bros up in this piece. you bros don't deserve a comic as good as Hawkguy, bro.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Cas
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 38 posts

Postby Cas » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:29 am

So I take I'm the only person who hasn't enjoyed this title for months on end? The arc before this couldn't have been more crushingly disappointing with the reveal of the "mastermind", and now this arc is as cliche as cliche can be. I mean, really? The bully from childhood turns out to be an overweight loser now crawling back to the person he tormented who is now successful for help?

And Matts a little braggart now? WTF? Did he ever seem like that person and would such a person really get bullies when he's so popular with the girl? We seem him, uncharastically, I might add, talking about his future to these girls smiles seem to indicate they're really into him and what he's saying. How many of you have know kids like that to be bullied? And he's being bullied because of he says his dad beat any other? And because he doesn't want to play? Thats why this particular kid is bullying him? And what to the other kids with him? Their lived didn't go to sh*t, just his? Why?

A lot of this story doesn't make any sense to me and it doesn't help that his past has to be tampered with to introduce these new unlikely aspects of his personality.

Issue 29 was pretty good only because it ignored most of that and was mostly a suspenseful actioner. Otherwise this title has been heavily unsatifying beginning with the last arc that couldn't be more hackneyed and unoriginal. And speaking of that last arc, how lazy a creation is Ikari? All did was copy DD and call him a new villain F*ck that.

So it seem this turned into a little rant. Ah, well.

Another thing, how did no one question how DD managed to find himself in that courtroom at the particular moment? Shouldn't be outside on rooftops or something?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Thanks, Punchy. You read it yet?

Yep, here are my thoughts:

---------

Yet another brilliant issue of Daredevil, I really am running out of ways to praise this title. I sort of wish Waid would write a bad one just to give me something to write about!

This issue picks up where the surprise ending to #28 left off, as Nate Hackett, Matt Murdock’s childhood ‘friend’ and former Sons Of The Serpent member has been shot by a Judge who seems to be a Serpent himself. What follows is a fast-paced action issue with Daredevil trapped inside the Courthouse surrounded by Serpent members and unable to know who to trust. I really like this new threat posed to Daredevil by the Sons Of The Serpent, and whilst I was looking forward to this series telling some smaller stories after wrapping up the Bullseye story, it looks like we may have the next big arc already. The Sons Of The Serpent have been a part of the last few issues of Waid’s Hulk too, so it looks like they are a big deal.

I also like how Waid choosing a White-Supremacist group fits with Daredevil being blind. Not only can he not trust any white person around him, because he’s blind, he couldn’t tell that two of the people in the room with him were black and asian! He really doesn’t know who to trust.

As always with this series, the artwork was excellent and regular colourist Javier Rodriguez is proving himself to be just as great as a penciler. My favourite sequence in this issue was when Daredevil and the EMT had to jump down the stairs, those pages were so well done, and you really got a sense of a whole creative team working in sync, even the letterer, Joe Caramagna had a big part to play, as the sound effects of the guns were built in to the bullet-trail, awesome stuff.

So, by the end of this issue, we’ve got a new threat for Daredevil, and also a tantalising teaser on the last page, who is the mysterious visitor who seems to have taken Foggy’s job? It can’t be the Silver Surfer can it? I mean, he’s in the next issue! That story promises to be insane, how the hell can Daredevil and Silver Surfer interact in a way that makes sense? Only Mark Waid would do something like this, I love it.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 642 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:55 am

In the battle of which book is better - the last few issues of Daredevil make it a clear cut choice that Hawkeye is the better book (and with each new issue of DD, the gap widens).

These last two issues could have been about the dangers and effects of bullying but instead it wandered into a typical action strip - of which I'm still trying to wrap my head around this new Sons of the Serpent stuff.

The SotS's plan was to false arrest some guy, so that they could get him into court so that they could kill him (not forgetting that they had to spend ages successfully infiltrating both the courts and the NYPD in unbelievable numbers) and then they had to arrange/hope that a black man would be in the area so that they could frame him for the shooting AND for igniting a bomb in order to start a race war.

Color it up any way you want - that's a pretty fucking amazing/stupid plan that only worked because Waid wanted it to. And now the Sons of the Serpent are talking on ol' green-skin n Hulk. :roll:

For an organization that has been led by communists, demons (and a black man) - why would even the worst bigot ever join up?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Well I enjoyed a fun 5-10 minute escape into the world of daredevil and that's about all you could want.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:48 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Well I enjoyed a fun 5-10 minute escape into the world of daredevil and that's about all you could want.

THIS^

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum