Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33606
Likes: 918 posts
Liked in: 504 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby outsider » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm

I still haven't finished that Longshot trade. The concept of Longshot, Mojo and Spiral are very interesting, but the story and dialogue are absolute shit. I know it's from the mid 80s - are drugs a requirement for it to be enjoyable?
-

Advertisement

Zero
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9227
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 59 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The Frozen North
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Zero » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
I have Born coming but From First to Last isn't in my library system and seems to be out of print so I might just put it on my to-read someday list and keep my eye out for a cheap copy.


Born is more connected to the overall arc, but if you ever see a copy of 'The Cell' I'd suggest picking it up. It's as dark and mean as anything else in the Max run and fills in a very important part of Frank's story.

As to the run itself, I just realised that one arc can be skipped or read out of order and it won't affect anything and that's 'The Slavers'. Don't skip it, but do feel free to read it whenever you like.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8296
Likes: 456 posts
Liked in: 840 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:53 pm

I've been very slowly reading through the third volume of The Flash Omnibus by Geoff Johns but after that, I've got nothing to read, so I am trying to figure out what I should pick up next.

So far I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Archer & Armstrong Vol 1: The Michelangelo Code
Atomic Robo Vol 3: Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time
FF Vol. 1 : Fantastic Faux
Green Arrow: Quiver
Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1

I could go to my LCS and purchase Green Arrow and possibly FF tomorrow but I would have to order the others. Should I purchase/order one of these books or do you guys have any other recommendations for me at the moment?
ImageImageImage

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39887
Likes: 154 posts
Liked in: 291 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Online


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm

Grayson wrote:I've been very slowly reading through the third volume of The Flash Omnibus by Geoff Johns but after that, I've got nothing to read, so I am trying to figure out what I should pick up next.

So far I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Archer & Armstrong Vol 1: The Michelangelo Code
Atomic Robo Vol 3: Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time
FF Vol. 1 : Fantastic Faux
Green Arrow: Quiver
Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1

I could go to my LCS and purchase Green Arrow and possibly FF tomorrow but I would have to order the others. Should I purchase/order one of these books or do you guys have any other recommendations for me at the moment?

Read something you already own again. Save some money.

bkthomson
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 23393
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 34 posts
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:14 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby bkthomson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 pm

Grayson wrote:I've been very slowly reading through the third volume of The Flash Omnibus by Geoff Johns but after that, I've got nothing to read, so I am trying to figure out what I should pick up next.

So far I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Archer & Armstrong Vol 1: The Michelangelo Code
Atomic Robo Vol 3: Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time
FF Vol. 1 : Fantastic Faux
Green Arrow: Quiver
Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1

I could go to my LCS and purchase Green Arrow and possibly FF tomorrow but I would have to order the others. Should I purchase/order one of these books or do you guys have any other recommendations for me at the moment?

Agree with Keb, but if not go with Atomic Robo or Spider-Man 2099
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8296
Likes: 456 posts
Liked in: 840 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Keb wrote:Read something you already own again. Save some money.


That's actually a really good idea. :smt026

bkthomson wrote:Agree with Keb


Stop bullying me with unwarranted peer pressure! :smt013 :P

but if not go with Atomic Robo or Spider-Man 2099


Those were my top 2 choices. 8)
ImageImageImage

bkthomson
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 23393
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 34 posts
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:14 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby bkthomson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 pm

:-D
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39887
Likes: 154 posts
Liked in: 291 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Online


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:03 pm

bkthomson wrote:Agree with Keb,

Reported for trolling :P

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18222
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 95 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:03 pm

outsider wrote:I still haven't finished that Longshot trade. The concept of Longshot, Mojo and Spiral are very interesting, but the story and dialogue are absolute shit. I know it's from the mid 80s - are drugs a requirement for it to be enjoyable?


Drugs should never be a requirement.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39887
Likes: 154 posts
Liked in: 291 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Online


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:11 pm

X-Men: Golgotha - this is the start of the Peter Milligan stuff. I love the art. Salvador Larocca is on point for sure. The vibe of this team feels really disassembled, almost like they don't all want to be there. I found myself getting annoyed with all the romantic tension, specifically between Rogue and Gambit and Iceman, Polaris and Havok. I dunno, I just get tired of age-old relationships. Milligan's Emma Frost might have been the only thing I really liked. All the rest of the characters are a bit off. I loved Carey's X-Men run (Supernovas and Blinded by the Light) so I decided to read this (I read some of it before) but I realized again why I decided to stop reading X-Men.

GHERU
User avatar


YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 39086
Likes: 147 posts
Liked in: 224 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby GHERU » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:23 pm

just finished Star Wars: Dawn Of The Jedi vol 2 - Prisoner of Bogan

better than vol 1, but still a massive dissapointment
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18222
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 95 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Keb wrote:X-Men: Golgotha - this is the start of the Peter Milligan stuff. I love the art. Salvador Larocca is on point for sure. The vibe of this team feels really disassembled, almost like they don't all want to be there. I found myself getting annoyed with all the romantic tension, specifically between Rogue and Gambit and Iceman, Polaris and Havok. I dunno, I just get tired of age-old relationships. Milligan's Emma Frost might have been the only thing I really liked. All the rest of the characters are a bit off. I loved Carey's X-Men run (Supernovas and Blinded by the Light) so I decided to read this (I read some of it before) but I realized again why I decided to stop reading X-Men.


I'd love to check this out, I'm sure Larroca has some truly beautiful pages there, eh?

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39887
Likes: 154 posts
Liked in: 291 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Online


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:59 pm

It's the only real saving grace. If the artist was anyone else, I'd probably hate it.

Which is a shame because I loved X-Statix.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18222
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 95 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Keb wrote:It's the only real saving grace. If the artist was anyone else, I'd probably hate it.

Which is a shame because I loved X-Statix.


X-Statix was so great.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8296
Likes: 456 posts
Liked in: 840 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Keb wrote:I dunno, I just get tired of age-old relationships.


Why do you hate love Keb? :-(
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Yahoo [Bot] and 90 guests

Advertisement