Advertisement

Guardians Of The Galaxy #5 (The USS Nevermind Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Guardians Of The Galaxy #5 (The USS Nevermind Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Just like in the pages of Hulk, the reverberations of Age Of Ultron are finally being felt across the Marvel Universe, as Angela shows up in Guardians Of The Galaxy! But in the end, it doesn’t really feel like a big deal.

I’ve never really read Spawn, so I have no clue who Angela is, and after this issue, I still don’t, and I don’t really care. She shows up, is angry, and fights Gamora a bit, that’s all, it’s not that great. I’m sure she could be an interesting and exciting character, and I have faith in Bendis to do so, but at this point, Marvel are treating Angela like a much bigger deal than she is, and expecting me to care about her as a ‘name’ and nothing else.

That said, the rest of this issue was highly enjoyable, and the other stuff that’s spinning out of Age Of Ultron was much more interesting than some Angel lady. The issue opens with Angela basically repeating her angry spiel from Age Of Ultron #10, but we quickly move onto some more interesting scenes with the actual team, as Rocket Raccoon helps Iron Man rebuild his armour, and we discover just why Tony has a thing for her, and yes, it is because of Star Trek. You all know I’m a sucker for Bendis’ dialogue, so I enjoyed this scene a lot, but there’s more to it than just appreciating lively conversation, as the way this book is using Tony Stark is really fascinating to me. On Earth, Tony is one of the smartest people around, he knows everyone. But in Space… he’s out of his depths, and even a talking Raccoon is smarter than him.

Star-Lord’s role in this issue is also a lot of fun, especially as it feature the return of a former Guardian, Mantis. Bendis has a lot of fun with her psychic abilities, and it makes a lot of sense to use her here, as she tries to help Star-Lord find out what happened with the ‘Timequake’. Plus, once again, Bendis is utilising Guardians history, which should please fans who miss the DnA era, and yes, Richard Rider appears as part of Star-Lord’s time-vision. There’s lots of interesting stuff in that vision along with the former Nova, like Captain Marvel (both Carol and Mar-Vell) and what looks like Star-Lord comforting the time-travelled Jean Grey from All-New X-Men. Is Bendis planning a crossover between this book and his X-books? That would be amazing.

In the end, Star-Lord goes to the one person who can explain what’s going on… it’s only fucking Thanos. This was a brilliant scene, and Bendis really found a way to make the Timequake work for him here, because it wasn’t just Earth’s time that was buggered by Wolverine, it was the whole Universe, which means Earth really does have a target on it. Oh yeah, and Drax tortured a dude, that was cool.

This title continues to be a lot of fun, Bendis has turned the Guardians into a really accessible book that I hope is introducing a lot of new fans to these characters, and really making me excited for a movie with this tone. Sara Pichelli is kicking ass on the art, and now THANOS is involved, things are getting good. It’s just a shame about Angela, but even then, it does hold some promise.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy #5 (The USS Nevermind Spoilers)

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Yeah Angela seems to just be a throwaway character in the grand scheme of things. And given her entire character I'm OK with that.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Good review as usual.

leichengxuan
Faster Pussycat

Postby leichengxuan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 pm

also this will be better than DC's "ask the answer man" from the 70s" - yes, I'm that old
I hope your summer is just like Bikini uk filled with surprises.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:17 pm

I liked the stuff Bendis did with Star Lord and I will admit that his characterization of Gamora is better this issue. She actually acts in a way that shows she is the Most Dangerous Woman in the Universe, as apposed to the, "oh I have a gun pointed at me, time to just give up," woman we saw last issue. It's still not totally great, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm also still loving Tony Stark's kid in a candy store reaction to the tech he's seeing and Rocket Raccoon's, "you don't have this? How primitive are you?" reaction to Stark.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand