Advertisement

FF #10 (Mistakes were made Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

FF #10 (Mistakes were made Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Fraction and Allred go all metafictional on our asses with this issue, as both they and Tom Brevoort guest-star in the comic! There’s a long history of this sort of thing happening with the Fantastic Four, going all the way back to Stan and Jack, and it was a lot of fun seeing Fraction poke fun at himself and his colleagues, some of it may have been a little bit too ‘inside baseball’ like jokes about Brevoort’s Formspring, but hey, we got to see Mike Allred show up with a Madman shirt on and say ‘ginchy’, you have to dig it.

The plot here was a lot of fun, as the FF and the FF creative team head down into the microverse as a tour of a new educational scheme Ant-Man has come up with. But of course, there are problems, as Artie and Leech bring along a tiger they stole from the zoo. It’s all very silly, especially with the meta stuff, but it’s fun, and it allows Allred to draw some seriously cool psychedelic backgrounds, which is, of course, ginchy.

As always, there’s a parallel storyline running with the kids, and this one is a lot more serious than most. Old Man Johnny Storm seems to be on to the fact that Alex Power is a spy for Doctor Doom, so Doom tells Alex to kill him, but of course, someone who was in freaking Power Pack has no idea how to kill someone, so he asks the other kids, do they know anyone who’s killed? Ahura has an answer, his Uncle, Maximus The Mad. Before moving onto this stuff, I need to mention how awesome Bentley was on that page where the FF kids were just standing on the rooftops, his movements were hilarious. I love that kid, now that Damian Wayne is dead, he fills the psychotic child hero hole in my heart.

The Maximus scenes here were interesting, not least because while he’s in prison here, over in Hickman’s Avengers books, he’s perfectly free and helping Black Bolt build fucked-up shit. I wonder what the story order is here? Is Maximus in prison because of events in Avengers and Infinity? Or is this the story that shows why he’s free in those books? Hmmm… We all know that the Inhumans are going to play a big role in the Marvel Universe soon, so any scene with them is very intriguing. Plus, I’ve always found Maximus to be an awesome character, you’ve got to love somebody who self-defines as ‘Mad’.

So yeah, once again, this was a really fun instalment of FF, you never know what crazy stuff Fraction and Allred are going to do, and putting themselves into the story is just another great example. This is a series with a unique tone, and it’s great to see it’s not afraid to make fun of itself and it’s creators. If you’re one of those people who don’t like metafictional stuff like this, then you probably won’t have enjoyed this issue, and yeah, it maybe was a bit self-indulgent, but it was FUN, and that’s what the FF is all about, yes, there’s ‘complex family interdynamics’ and ‘capers’ all mixed into together, but most of all, it’s a fun time, with great art.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: FF #10 (Mistakes were made Spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:31 pm

yeah, all the Maximus stuff took me out of the story. unless I'm missing something, he's been free and actually acting as part of the Royal Family, aiding and helping his bro and cousins, since at least the SI: Inhumans mini. so why he was locked up here, I have no clue.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:33 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, all the Maximus stuff took me out of the story. unless I'm missing something, he's been free and actually acting as part of the Royal Family, aiding and helping his bro and cousins, since at least the SI: Inhumans mini. so why he was locked up here, I have no clue.

Yeah and he speaks Groot.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
Yeah and he speaks Groot.

or at the very least, wants us to believe that he does. :-D loved that bit from WoK.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Maybe Maximus is so mad he imprisoned himself?

#NoPrize

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:00 pm

I was a big fan of this issue! I feel lucky as hell that I get to enjoy a (near-)monthly Allred book set in the Marvel Universe; last time I could do that was the equally-great X-Statix.

I just hope Fraction doesn't start using this book as his means of ramping up the presence of The Inhumans in the lead-up to the Infinity fall-out. I don't give a shit about The Inhumans and don't want the book to become about them

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:02 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:I was a big fan of this issue! I feel lucky as hell that I get to enjoy a (near-)monthly Allred book set in the Marvel Universe; last time I could do that was the equally-great X-Statix.

I just hope Fraction doesn't start using this book as his means of ramping up the presence of The Inhumans in the lead-up to the Infinity fall-out. I don't give a shit about The Inhumans and don't want the book to become about them

dude...wut? :smt011 :smt011 :smt011

WTF is wrong with you, son? :smt017

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:24 pm

I give not one fuck about the Inhumans. All knowledge I have of them is compartmentalized in my brain under the "No One Cares" area occupied by the Legion.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:13 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:I give not one fuck about the Inhumans. All knowledge I have of them is compartmentalized in my brain under the "No One Cares" area occupied by the Legion.

You just compared Blackagar Boltagon, Karnak, Maximus the Mad, Lockjaw, Crystal and the rest to the fucking Legion???????

You and me, sir...we are done, professionally

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1065 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:I give not one fuck about the Inhumans. All knowledge I have of them is compartmentalized in my brain under the "No One Cares" area occupied by the Legion.

:shock: :smt011

The Inhumans are some of the best and most criminally neglected characters in the Marvel Universe.
ImageImageImage

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:46 am

Gentlemen, I honestly thought no one gave a shit about the Inhumans, and I also believed there was no reason to give a shit about them. (Just like the Legion.)

Now that I'm seeing love for them, I'm kind of curious to hear what you all were reading that I wasn't. Maybe if I read the right stories, I'll be able to get behind the concept. (Unlike the Legion.)

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 am

chap22 wrote:You just compared Blackagar Boltagon, Karnak, Maximus the Mad, Lockjaw, Crystal and the rest to the fucking Legion???????

You and me, sir...we are done, professionally

NO, CHAP! If our professional relationship could survive my Nocenti-Daredevil-hating and Bendis-Daredevil-loving, it can survive this. May I suggest mediation?

But seriously, the fact that a character's name was made "Blackagar Boltagon" to justify his superhero name always struck me as emblematic of the general hokeyness I perceived in the Inhumans concept.

I like Kirby's New Gods quite a bit; does that mean Kirby's Inhumans might be my access point?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
NO, CHAP! If our professional relationship could survive my Nocenti-Daredevil-hating and Bendis-Daredevil-loving, it can survive this. May I suggest mediation?

But seriously, the fact that a character's name was made "Blackagar Boltagon" to justify his superhero name always struck me as emblematic of the general hokeyness I perceived in the Inhumans concept.

I like Kirby's New Gods quite a bit; does that mean Kirby's Inhumans might be my access point?

Sure, that works. The classic Lee/Kirby FF stuff that introduces them. I'll also tell you the Jenkins/Lee MK mini is tremendously fantastic. The SI: Inhumans mini. War of Kings from DnA/Marvel Cosmic. The list goes on.

It truly boggles my mind that someone could not like the Inhumans.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:04 am

chap22 wrote:Sure, that works. The classic Lee/Kirby FF stuff that introduces them. I'll also tell you the Jenkins/Lee MK mini is tremendously fantastic. The SZi: Inhumans mini. War of Kings from DnA/Marvel Cosmic. The list goes on.

It truly boggles my mind that someone could not like the Inhumans.

My only exposure to the Inhumans was through the 90s FF cartoon and parts of Byrne's FF run. I dunno, it just seemed like another take on the tired "Superhero freaks find family WITH EACH OTHER" concept. Like I said, I think if I approach this as a precursor to Kirby's New Gods, I can get into Lee/Kirby Inhumans.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:08 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
My only exposure to the Inhumans was through the 90s FF cartoon and parts of Byrne's FF run. I dunno, it just seemed like another take on the tired "Superhero freaks find family WITH EACH OTHER" concept. Like I said, I think if I approach this as a precursor to Kirby's New Gods, I can get into Lee/Kirby Inhumans.

But they don't find family, they actually ARE family. The Royal Family of the Inhumans...brothers, cousins, sisters, wives, etc. they mix the best of the internal bickering of the FF with the regal concerns of Namor plus cool powers (seriously...Black Bolt is awesome) and way-out settings like Attilan and the blue area of the moon. Love the Inhumans.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand