Advertisement

Hey Keb -- Re. Beat Street

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Hey Keb -- Re. Beat Street

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:52 pm

I saw you made a reference to Beat Street in Jude's, "Rosebud is a sled" thread:

I thought I was the only one who remembered this movie. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Hey Keb -- Re. Beat Street

Postby Keb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 pm

I didn't think anyone would get that reference.

It's a good movie but in some ways it gets kinda corny. It's like it makes me understand why gangsta rap was so necessary for hip hop.

It was a cool story though. When they battled Rocksteady that shoot was dope.

Did you ever watch Style Wars?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Keb wrote:I didn't think anyone would get that reference.

It's a good movie but in some ways it gets kinda corny. It's like it makes me understand why gangsta rap was so necessary for hip hop.

It was a cool story though. When they battled Rocksteady that shoot was dope.

Did you ever watch Style Wars?

I agree that rap got better with gangsta rap, it was quite corny in some ways in the beginning. Adding politics made it grow in directions it needed to go in.

About Style Wars, no I'm afraid I never caught that. Hell, when it comes to Beat Street, I remember the music and the final scene beginning with Ramo catching Spit spray painting over one of his works on the sub way car. The two of them falling onto the third rail in the subway station is an image that's stuck with me all these years for some reason. Beyond those two things, I remember really loving the movie, but not much else. I watched it on Pay TV back in the day -- back in the old First Choice/Super Channel days. It came out in '84, so I probably saw it some time in '85. That means it's been more than 25 years since the last time I saw it.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:14 pm

I shouldn't say that those two thing were the only things that stuck with me. This piece of Ramo's art in the film is another thing that I really strongly remember.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:32 am

Yeah the Ramo and Spit scene was the standout of that movie. It gets mentioned everywhere in hip hop. Its probably the only thing i remeber clearly. I even forgot that they battled Rock Steady early on. I saw it only a while ago on Netflix. I watched that and the Last Dragon together.

The lead dude was played by the son of Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee.

Style Wars was a PBS documentary about graf writers in NYC in the early 80s. The movie is on YouTube, I think. Anyways, I asked because the Spit character was based on a guy in that doc who actually used to go and tag his name or the word "shit" over other writers' pieces and dudes were out to kill him and shit. Its a cool doc. There are a few good docs on graffiti writers out there but that one is the best.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Style wars sounds good. I'll be sure to check it out. :)

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum