Advertisement

Superior Spider-Man #15 (Messed with the wrong nerd Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Superior Spider-Man #15 (Messed with the wrong nerd Spoilers

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:12 pm

This title once again delivers an excellent issue, but this time out we get a bit of a different perspective on ol’ SpOcky. Whereas in previous issues, Slott has endeavoured to show how Otto’s approach to fighting crime is more successful, and well, superior to Peter Parker’s, in this issue, we see that it’s not all roses for him, and that perhaps the old-school Parker way did have it’s advantages.

The catalyst for this is the Hobgoblin, who escaped the destruction of Shadowland last issue, and, with no regular money from the Kingpin, is on a desperate crime-spree in order to pay back Roderick Kingsley. Because of the Green Goblin making it so any Goblin-looking dude is not detectable by the Spider-Bots, Phil Urich is able to elude Spider-Man, which of course, drives Otto a little bit angry. It’s clear that Peter Parker, who didn’t really rely on technology, would have just accidentally swung into Hobgoblin, but SpOck is over-thinking things, and just sits in his lair and forgets all about everything else.

In this issue, Slott returns to a lot of Spider-Man’s supporting cast, from Mary-Jane, to Horizon Labs, Aunt May to Anna-Maria, they’re all here, and ‘Peter’ has forgotten about all of them. It was cool to see this side of the new Spider-Man. This character has always been about a guy trying to balance being a superhero with having a regular life, Spider-Man has always been soapier than your average superhero, and here, we see how well Peter managed to juggle it in comparison to Otto. The new Spidey may be better at some aspects of this job, but at others… he sucks. This is a bit of much-needed balance, as I think Slott may have gone a bit far in making Otto way better than Peter. It’s all well and good surprising us with him actually being decent, but if you go too far, it not only becomes a bit silly, but it makes the actual hero look bad.

The role of the Green Goblin here is interesting, not only is he the reason why Hobgoblin gets away with his crimes, but he’s also the reason why Hobby eventually gets shut down, as he deactivates whatever it is that stops the Spider-Bots from seeing Goblins. It’s intriguing me that in this scene, the Green Goblin’s face is masked, which I would have thought unnecessary, but it looks like this Goblin is not actually Norman Osborn, but someone else. Who? I have no idea, but I can’t wait to find out.

In the end, Spider-Man catches up to Hobgoblin, they tussle, and Spider-Man announces to the world that Hobgoblin is actually Phil Urich, which should set things up for an exciting second part. I’ve enjoyed Phil’s role as an ‘evil mirror-image’ of Peter Parker, but since the actual Peter is kind of evil these days, it’s not really needed.

This was a great issue of Superior Spidey, especially since it brought back a load of subplots I haven’t even mentioned yet, there’s the stuff with Peter’s college and his romance, Carly and Captain Watanabe are stepping up their investigation of Spidey, and Stone, the ex-Horizon guy who was working for Kingpin is back. Slott is at his best with this book when there are almost too many subplots, and this issue had that in spades, throw in some excellent Humberto Ramos art, and you’ve got a perfect Spider-Man comic. That is, if you ignore the fact that Doctor Octopus is the hero. But I can manage that now.

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Superior Spider-Man #15 (Messed with the wrong nerd Spoi

Postby Zechs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Well, looks like for Phil his world of everything going right is crashing down before his eyes. His sins are really catching up to him from his bullying of Stone that build-up Danger Zone, which leads to him hacking every bit of tech on Urich. Kingsley blackmailing him to get money or else he's gonna send in a new dupe to be "his" Hobgoblin. Finally his identity outed to everyone around him. The world really has turned and fucked Urich in his ass.

I get the feeling that he'll want to caught and arrested, instead Spock will murder him causing a public backlash. Part of me hopes somehow Phil will weasel his way out, but things are looking awfully grim for him.

I'm glad we're seeing the cracks of Otto's life. He's been doing a kick ass job the last four issues it was bound to take a toll on his personal life. When Peter comes back his life is going to be in utter shambles. :lol:

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Like this review a lot. I am so happy Dipshit Urich is finally getting what's coming to him as I hated this iteration of him that Slott forced on us. I will always remember Phil as the good goblin until Marvel fucked him up by turning him into a one-dimensional joke villain.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1019 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:50 pm

That last scene with SpOck getting on every TV (including the big screen at Times Square) will probably be my moment of the week nomination. It was GREAT!

And Green Goblin realizing what's happening and cutting PhilGoblin loose, so to speak... very smart.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:33 pm

HNutz wrote:That last scene with SpOck getting on every TV (including the big screen at Times Square) will probably be my moment of the week nomination. It was GREAT!

And Green Goblin realizing what's happening and cutting PhilGoblin loose, so to speak... very smart.

So agreed. I would love to see how Norah, Rand, Ben Urich and everyone else who knows Phil is going to react to this revelation. As much as I hate this iteration of Phil, I almost feel sorry for poor shmuck as he should have just stayed retired and not become a goblin again. The sad part is that things are only going to get worst for Phil after this.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:49 am

This is great, really been liking Philgoblin and with it looking like his 'last stand' I'm really looking forward to see what follows. Also hope next months cover is a swerve or he has Goblin healing to keep him alive.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:07 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:This is great, really been liking Philgoblin and with it looking like his 'last stand' I'm really looking forward to see what follows. Also hope next months cover is a swerve or he has Goblin healing to keep him alive.

I theorize that if Phil does survive he'll end up joining the Green Goblin's ever growing army as he's going to need all the protection he can get from Kingsley, Ock-Spidey, the authorities and whoever else might be gunning for him now that his secret identity is out in the open. It would be interesting if Norman were to ever find out that Phil was goblin he put a hit out on during the Clone Saga for assuming his ID.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand