Advertisement

Kick-Ass 3 #2 (Awesome Hitler Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Kick-Ass 3 #2 (Awesome Hitler Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 am

With only a week to go before the release of the Kick-Ass 2 movie, I’m getting pretty excited, and what better way to stoke that excitement than with a new Kick-Ass comic? I can’t think of one.

Whereas #1 moved quite slowly in terms of setting up the plot of this final chapter, this issue speeds up the pace, as we are introduced to the villain of the story, Rocco Genovese. Rocco is the brother of the crime-lord from the other stories, who was exiled to Sicily because he’s a predatory homosexual. I’m sure Millar will get flak from some quarters because the bad guy here is gay, but I don’t mind. In real life, some gay people also happen to be bad people. It’s not like Millar makes it a habit to have gay villains, and really, how diverse is it if all of the gay characters in comics are heroes? Plus, Rocco likes ‘young blond men’ and Dave Lizewski certainly fits into those categories, I bet there’s foreshadowing there for an attempted rape of Kick-Ass. I suppose if Millar has a man get raped, the people who hate the rape of Katie in Kick-Ass 2 will have less to complain about? I dunno, that controversy has reared it’s head again this week, I doubt it will ever go away.

Also in terms of villains, Red Mist/Mother-Fucker/Chris isn’t actually dead! I thought for sure he was at the end of the last mini, but nope, he’s just in Prison-Hospital, slowly recovering. I wonder if Red Mist has the same nerve-damage as Kick-Ass does, that would allow for an interesting fight between the two of them. The role of Chris’ mother is also interesting to me, she initially plans to kill her son, but ends up saving his life, I hope Angie plays a large role in the rest of this story, apart from Hit-Girl, this series is very male-dominated, so she gives something new.

I’ve gone this far and I haven’t even really mentioned Kick-Ass himself yet! I really enjoyed the opening scene where he showed how much he actually has developed as a crime-fighter. He still loses, but he’s not as much of a dweeb as he was. It’s a realistic development. We also get introduced to a possible new love interest for Dave, which could be interesting.

The stuff with Dave and his pathetic superteam continues to be a lot of fun. It’s great how Millar balances light comedic scenes like this, complete with fanboyish references to Batman: Year One, and at the same time there’s loads of gore and violence and real life stakes. That’s the crux of this whole story, idiot nerd superheroes coming face to face with the Mob… and winning? I also find the character of ‘Juicer’, the lazy superhero who’d rather fight Internet Trolls than the Mafia a lot of fun, although I’m sure things will take a darker turn with him soon. Romita’s artwork was once again excellent, I never get tired of seeing him unleash some ultra-violence. You don’t get to see him get visceral on his Marvel titles, so Kick-Ass always gives you something new.

This title is chugging along nicely, but really, I much prefer the more comedic cinematic take on this story, so I want Kick-Ass 2 now. Plus, this title has no Hit-Girl in it at all! Come on!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand