Advertisement

Action Comics #23 (Undisputed Ruler Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Action Comics #23 (Undisputed Ruler Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 am

I don’t really know what to say about this one. It’s a perfectly serviceable Superman story, where Big Blue saves the day from a huge monster, but that’s all it is. The ‘Pax Galactica’ characters are totally forgettable and stupid, like something out of He-Man, and it’s basically just one big action sequence.

There are nuggets of interest in here, like the origin of Lourdes and Lexus, the fact that they are twins, etc, but they are only explored in 1 page, and then Lexus is killed. I did like that Lobdell established that Superman is not actually invincible, and had Lexus actually hurt him, but other than that… just a big bowl of meh. I want Greg Pak on Action now please. I did enjoy Tyler Kirkham’s artwork though, he can certainly draw space battles, and his Superman looks pretty bad-ass.

The ‘World Of Krypton’ back-up story was also a little bit disappointing, it felt like Hannah ran out of time to tell his story, and it just ended. I do like the irony of Jor-El managing to stop a Military Coup with the help of General (well, Commander here) Zod, and those two characters being childhood friends is a cool idea, but other than that, again, meh.
Seriously, this comic was fine, but I want Action Comics to be more than just fine. Do I have unrealistic expectations? I don’t know, but Superman deserves better than ‘OK’.

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 151 posts

Re: Action Comics #23 (Undisputed Ruler Spoilers)

Postby MrBlack » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:41 am

I read a brief excerpt from the issue.

Is Superman's characterization in this issue consistent with how he's being portrayed elsewhere in the DCU? Because, if I may quote the issue itself:

"Blah. Blah. BLAAAAARRGH!"

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:46 pm

World of Krypton has sucked. Nu-Krypton doesn't feel like an alien world. Too generic sci-fi.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 143 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:51 pm

MrBlack wrote:I read a brief excerpt from the issue.

Is Superman's characterization in this issue consistent with how he's being portrayed elsewhere in the DCU? Because, if I may quote the issue itself:

"Blah. Blah. BLAAAAARRGH!"

I was turned off by Lobdell's take a while ago but Pak and Snyder haven't chased me away yet. :smt102

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 pm

The Beast wrote:
I was turned off by Lobdell's take a while ago but Pak and Snyder haven't chased me away yet. :smt102

Like I said, I just read a brief excerpt from the Lobdell part of the book. Not my cup of tea.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand