Advertisement

Avengers #17 (Just a regular Wednesday Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Avengers #17 (Just a regular Wednesday Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Wait, so this was just the end of the prelude? And I don’t just mean the end of the prelude to Infinity, I think Hickman means that these last 17 issues of insanity are just the prelude to his run as a whole. Which, if true, means holy crap, things are going to get mental pretty quickly. Unless it did just mean the end of the prelude to Infinity, which is meh, I mean, what does any of this have to do with Thanos? No idea.

I thought this issue was a bit of a mixed-bag, there was some stuff I really liked, such as the discussion between the whole team in one room, where for the first time, these characters felt like an actual team, and some of them like actual characters. I like it when Hickman tries to be funny now, he’s certainly a funny guy, his twitter is great, the later issues of FF were fun, and Manhattan Projects is of course amazing, but a lot of the time his Marvel stuff is very dry. Stuff like complaining about there only being one shower is important, as it means I care about these characters, and not just about how they fit inside some metaphysical clockwork structure.

I also like the idea of Ex Nihilo, Abyss, Starbrand and Nightmask becoming Avengers, these are incredibly powerful characters, and it shows the team really stepping it up in terms of ambition.

My problem with this issue is that once again, the Avengers aren’t really doing anything. They are all unconscious when the Robot-dude is kidnapped by AIM, and only Manifold is able to fight them. They only bring the powerful new team-members aboard because Captain Universe told them to. It just seems like, even though this is the biggest and baddest Avengers team ever, they are just reacting to stuff that is barely explained. If this is all just a prelude, then I want some explanations soon.

The artwork here was also a mixed-bag, I like all three of Caselli, Checchetto and Rudy, but I don’t think their styles mesh well together, and generally, I’m just a fan of one artist on one comic, unless there’s a good explanation for it, like flashbacks. Oh yeah, and why is Ex Nihilo a woman on the cover? Did Leinil Yu mess up or is there something else going on? Is he going to change gender to appease the blogosphere?

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1276 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Avengers #17 (Just a regular Wednesday Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Punchy wrote:Oh yeah, and why is Ex Nihilo a woman on the cover?

Could be an entirely different character altogether or maybe it's a version of Ex Nihilo from another universe?
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Grayson wrote:
Could be an entirely different character altogether or maybe it's a version of Ex Nihilo from another universe?

There's nothing about that in the comic.

It's just weird.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Grayson wrote:

Considering that Ex Nihlo is all about experimentation and evolution, switching genders just for the f**k of it isn't too far out of the question.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:49 pm

I loved this issue. It's the first one in a while where I went into full Panda Bear mode, with "Comfy in Nautica" going through my head.

The parts where Banner stood up to Stark were awesome. He had all the best lines this issue. I have a suspicion that Tony and the Illuminati are goina have to send Banner on another little trip. Note I said "Banner" and not "Hulk."

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:29 am

A fun issue without a doubt I just want Weaver or Opena back already. And yeah Ex Nihlo having tits on the cover made zero sense.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:04 am

guitarsmashley wrote:A fun issue without a doubt I just want Weaver or Opena back already. And yeah Ex Nihlo having tits on the cover made zero sense.

Ex Nihlo has always had lot of Dr. Frank N Furter in him. He's come off as a having a little bit of a androgynous personality in his previous appearances. It really didn't bother me that much.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:27 am

Punchy wrote:Wait, so this was just the end of the prelude? And I don’t just mean the end of the prelude to Infinity, I think Hickman means that these last 17 issues of insanity are just the prelude to his run as a whole. Which, if true, means holy crap, things are going to get mental pretty quickly. Unless it did just mean the end of the prelude to Infinity, which is meh, I mean, what does any of this have to do with Thanos? No idea.

I thought this issue was a bit of a mixed-bag, there was some stuff I really liked, such as the discussion between the whole team in one room, where for the first time, these characters felt like an actual team, and some of them like actual characters. I like it when Hickman tries to be funny now, he’s certainly a funny guy, his twitter is great, the later issues of FF were fun, and Manhattan Projects is of course amazing, but a lot of the time his Marvel stuff is very dry. Stuff like complaining about there only being one shower is important, as it means I care about these characters, and not just about how they fit inside some metaphysical clockwork structure.

I also like the idea of Ex Nihilo, Abyss, Starbrand and Nightmask becoming Avengers, these are incredibly powerful characters, and it shows the team really stepping it up in terms of ambition.

My problem with this issue is that once again, the Avengers aren’t really doing anything. They are all unconscious when the Robot-dude is kidnapped by AIM, and only Manifold is able to fight them. They only bring the powerful new team-members aboard because Captain Universe told them to. It just seems like, even though this is the biggest and baddest Avengers team ever, they are just reacting to stuff that is barely explained. If this is all just a prelude, then I want some explanations soon.

The artwork here was also a mixed-bag, I like all three of Caselli, Checchetto and Rudy, but I don’t think their styles mesh well together, and generally, I’m just a fan of one artist on one comic, unless there’s a good explanation for it, like flashbacks. Oh yeah, and why is Ex Nihilo a woman on the cover? Did Leinil Yu mess up or is there something else going on? Is he going to change gender to appease the blogosphere?

Sure, this issue didn't have a lot of physical action. But I thought it set up Infinity as an event where the team is being forced to evolve in ways that even Tony wasn't quite prepared to go (yet). He probably has a little better idea of what the team's up against thanks to events in New Avengers, but he's being forced to play his hand before he was ready, and it's forcing him to make choices he wasn't prepared for.

Not only was Stark forced to let Ex Nihlo. Starbrand, et al join the group, but he had to deal with Banner butting in and giving his two cents worth. I'd love to see where that goes.

- Sons of the Desert

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Punchy wrote:
There's nothing about that in the comic.

It's just weird.

It is, but I'm with Grayson, I don't think it's Ex Nihilo, I think it's a different character. Besides the breasts, the two figures on either side of her are the giveaway for me. Ex Nihilo has never been depicted with two flunkies like that alongside him. My guess would be that this is a character that has yet to appear and that there may have been a miscommunication with whoever drew the cover.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:49 pm

As for this issue as a whole, it's a little iffy for me. I'm interested in where this story is going, but the individual issues are once again suffering from the story's slow pace. Not much happens in each issue and this series once again has me thinking of dropping it.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Stephen Day wrote:As for this issue as a whole, it's a little iffy for me. I'm interested in where this story is going, but the individual issues are once again suffering from the story's slow pace. Not much happens in each issue and this series once again has me thinking of dropping it.

I'm glad to see this arc end.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Another good review.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
I'm glad to see this arc end.

I'm going to buy the Infinity issues. After that I'll decide whether or not I'm going to continue with it.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand