Advertisement

Wolverine & The X-Men #34 (Green Halfling Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Wolverine & The X-Men #34 (Green Halfling Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:18 am

Whilst the two flag-ship X-Men books are more concerned with a war of words than old-school superhero action, there is still one title that’s not afraid to get a little kick-crazy, and that’s Wolverine & The X-Men.

In this issue, The Hellfire Saga’ nears it’s finale, and Jason Aaron and Nick Bradshaw treat us to a non-stop thrill-ride of a comic, featuring some very large-scale violence. The bulk of this issue is made up of a Kaiju-sized fight between the Jean Grey School’s Krakoa and a bunch of evil, Volcanic Krakoas. And oh yeah, Iceman has built himself a giant Ice-Voltron to help out. Yeah, it’s as awesome as it sounds. We even get to see Wolverine and Krakoa do a Fastball Special, which is pretty damn impressive.

But there are more intimate fights here too, as Quentin and Idie attempt to escape from the Hellfire Academy alive and in one piece, which is pretty difficult when you’re face to face with the all-powerful Snot. I also really liked the small scene where Toad cannot fight back against the insane Husk because he loves her too much. In amongst all the silliness, Aaron always finds the heart of these characters. Of course, there’s still plenty of silliness, the one-page sequence with Doop and Lady Mondo was absolutely stupid and hilarious. She tries to break his mind with her avant-garde cinema, but Doop just barfs out his home movies from 1994 and does the same to her. I love Doop, and I love how Aaron has managed to make him work in a mainstream X-Book.

Also very exciting here is the imminent downfall of Kade Kilgore. His plans are all falling down around his ears, his teachers are being defeated, and he spends most of the issue being savaged by Broo whilst his friends stand by and do nothing. But at the end, he still thinks he’s won. We as readers know that Max Frankenstein and Manuel are stood behind him with guns, so it looks like he’s just gone mental, but could there be more to it? I can’t imagine the Hellfire Club will be defeated this easily, these guys have been the villains of this series (along with Cyclops) since the very beginning, I expect Aaron has a twist up his sleeve for #35.

This was a ridiculously fun issue, and it really surprised me, I did not expect to see hot Krakoa on Krakoa action, but I loved it. Nick Bradshaw’s cartoony art is still a great fit, and this book is always a delight.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Wolverine & The X-Men #34 (Green Halfling Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm

This Hellfire Saga arc has been Jason Aaron's best work on this book, and that's tall praise for what has thus far been one of the best X-Men runs to date, IMO.

Giant Ice Voltron FTW

Rikk Odinson
Society Member

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Really surprised by how much I enjoy this book. It's probabaly the art.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1281 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Punchy wrote:these guys have been the villains of this series (along with Cyclops) since the very beginning

But...Cyclops isn't a villain... :smt017
ImageImageImage

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Like homicidal kittens this comic was excellent.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:09 am

Grayson wrote:
But...Cyclops isn't a villain... :smt017

To Wolverine he is :P

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1281 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Punchy wrote:To Wolverine he is :P

Wolverine kills his own children and he stabbed time to death. From a logical perspective, if Wolverine views Cyclops as a villain, then Cyclops has to be a hero!

8)
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand