Advertisement

Suicide Squad #23 (God of everything that is alive Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Suicide Squad #23 (God of everything that is alive Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:32 pm

And so, Ales Kot’s glorious run on Suicide Squad comes to an untimely end. The fact that DC only gave the guy only 4 issues is a fucking crime. I’m dropping this title after this issue, nothing to do with Matt Kindt, who I like, but just because I liked these issues so much and I want to punish DC for their stupidity. What will I be replacing it with? Well, Kot’s new Image series, Zero.

This issue was probably the worst of Kot’s ‘run’, but it was still a lot of dark, twisted fun, albeit fun that felt very rushed. It’s revealed that the man behind the events of the last 3 issues is John Lynch, the old Wildstorm character, which is pretty cool I guess, I liked that guy in Sleeper. Lynch has some rivalry with Waller because of some other DC book (Team 7? I dunno) and as he tries to arm a Banana Republic somewhere, the Suicide Squad shut him down in a variety of entertaining ways. I kind of feel like Kot had this big, epic ‘Waller Vs Lynch’ story planned for a run that would last 20-30 issues, and when he saw he only had 4… he did it anyway. It feels rushed, as I said, but this issue was great.

The caption’s were hilarious, with Kot bringing a bit of a Fraction-esque sense of humour into DC, which is much needed, and the lame-ass superheroes the Squad dealt with were very funny (yes, Impetus). I continue to be surprised by how tolerable I find Kot’s Harley Quinn, and King Shark is just amazing. I also really liked how nonchalantly the Unknown Soldier was revealed to be there, I had almost forgotten about him! The narration from James Gordon Jnr was also very well-written, Kot’s take on this guy is brilliant, and it’s a crying shame we won’t get to see it all play out.

Also a shame is the fact that Patrick Zircher is not drawing this issue, his 3 issues of this title were some of the best work of his career, and whilst Rick Leonardi is a solid superhero artist, he doesn’t bring the same level of darkness and detail that Zircher did. Overall, this is just a shame, we’ll always have these 4 issues, but once again, DC have shot themselves in the foot. But there loss is Image’s gain, I’ll definitely be picking up Zero, and I really think Marvel should give Kot a chance on one of their books, maybe even Thunderbolts? I mean, it’s basically the same premise (or it was).

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand