Advertisement

Swamp Thing #23 (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Swamp Thing #23 (Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Charles Soule's first two issues were iffy at best, but I decided to give him a few months chance. I'm glad I did, because at this point, those two Superman guest starring stories come across as editorial mandated. At this point, Soule seems to be telling the story with the title character that he wants to tell. It's good to see, and I'd say, right now he's doing a really good job of it.

In this issue, Swamp Thing is still trying to deal with the madness unleashed when Seeder created the Whiskey Tree. The sense of horror is effectively created throughout this issue. Fetters Hill is a town gone mad. The opening sequence with the couple hiding from the madness infected mob is quite chilling.

It's sad that Soule is doing such a good job and so many readers left this series without even giving him a chance.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Swamp Thing #23 (Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:48 am

Charles Soule’s run on Swamp Thing continues to be a very good comic, and this issue may have been the best yet, as it really showed just how powerful Swamp Thing can be.

Picking up from the last issue, Swampy has to deal with a whole tone gone mad on evil Whisky, and a megalomaniacal John Constantine as their leader. It was interesting seeing Swamp Thing so powerless at the start, as he’s trapped and emaciated in the prison. I also really liked Soule’s take on Constantine, I’m still annoyed about him being taken away from Vertigo, but if Soule was writing his solo series, I’d actually be interested. Plus, this issue had some really quite scary scenes with the drunken villagers who had gone crazy with the booze, there was a real dark, Vertigoish feel to this issue, so these characters felt true to that era.

I also liked how easy it was for Swamp Thing to stop this once he had got rid of Constantine’s spell. He is not a superhero, he is an immensely powerful elemental, and that panel of a giant Swamp Thing rising out of the ground was just amazing. The voice of the green that was in Alec Holland’s ear, trying to make him kill all the villagers was very interesting too, it looks like there’s going to be a lot of conflict between the human and the green within Swamp Thing.

The end of this issue brings things back to ‘The Seeder’, who has infiltrated the Swamp, beaten up Capucine (I almost forgot about her) and it looks like we’re going to get the long awaited confrontation between the two of them. I will say that I couldn’t make out what the trees were spelling out on that last page? Could anyone else see what it said?

The artwork here was very good, Kano has been kicking ass on this run, and when your fill-in pages are done by Dave Lapham, that’s just awesome. I’m really enjoying this book right now, but I do feel like the Villain’s Month issue is going to disrupt the momentum, I don’t care about Arcane at the moment, I want more about the new villain, about Seeder.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Swamp Thing #23 (Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Punchy wrote:The voice of the green that was in Alec Holland’s ear, trying to make him kill all the villagers was very interesting too, it looks like there’s going to be a lot of conflict between the human and the green within Swamp Thing.

I remember during the run up to Rotworld it being mentioned (I can't remember if it was in this series or Animal Man) that the Green, the Red and the Rot work best when they're in balance. I read that scene and my first thought was that the Green doesn't seem to have learned this lesson very well.

By the way Punchy, did your comic shop let you know why you weren't able to get this issue last week?

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand