Advertisement

Review: Infinity #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Review: Infinity #1

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:26 pm

As much as I like Thanos, I reluctantly decided to sit out Thanos Rising because I couldn't get past Simone Bianchi's abysmal art, so I was pleasantly surprised by how great Cheung's Thanos looked. Hell, the entire book looked fantastic.

My biggest complaint of the entire issue was the fact that the Illuminati take it upon themselves to destroy yet another alternate Earth.

thefourthman wrote:there were some panels here where Cap seemed to be aged more than one would think. Also Iron Man's new helmet looks dumb.

The situation with Cap looking more aged than normal may be a side effect from the current story-arc in his solo title. The story is still ongoing, so we don't know how it will be resolved but he has spent the equivalent of 10+ years in an alternate dimension created by Arnim Zola. However, that may or may not be happening in his head.

Also, Iron Man's entire new costume looks dumb.

fieldy snuts wrote:I'm sure it was to be expected after we found out who the Builders were, but seeing their designs in this issue it really highlighted the similarities between them and the Collectors/Reapers from Mass Effect.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:02 pm

My biggest complaint of the entire issue was the fact that the Illuminati take it upon themselves to destroy yet another alternate Earth.

That was a flashback to New Avengers #6. Heck, I'm pretty sure it was the same f**king artwork.

And it was a dead Earth.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Juan Cena wrote:That was a flashback to New Avengers #6. Heck, I'm pretty sure it was the same f**king artwork.

And it was a dead Earth.

I figured that it was just a repeat of the New Avenger scene but that's not really my point. They blew up one Earth, what's to stop them from blowing up another? Further more, why is it ok for them to make these decisions but condemn somebody else for making similar decisions? They can create and possess the technology to destroy an entire planet and then use it which is sure to draw the attention of forces we can't comprehend, yet Scott Summers wants to harness the energy of a cosmic entity to save his people and he's the jackass?

What makes Tony Stark or Hank McCoy's judgement more infallible than Scott Summers?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Grayson wrote:
I figured that it was just a repeat of the New Avenger scene but that's not really my point. They blew up one Earth, what's to stop them from blowing up another? Further more, why is it ok for them to make these decisions but condemn somebody else for making similar decisions? They can create and possess the technology to destroy an entire planet and then use it which is sure to draw the attention of forces we can't comprehend, yet Scott Summers wants to harness the energy of a cosmic entity to save his people and he's the jackass?

What makes Tony Stark or Hank McCoy's judgement more infallible than Scott Summers?

Uh. I think that's the whole idea of New Avengers.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:25 am

Guys, The Illuminati aren't killing Earths, they are killing UNIVERSES.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:19 am

Dicklords.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 am

Punchy wrote:Guys, The Illuminati aren't killing Earths, they are killing UNIVERSES.

No, they're not. Destroying one of the Earths during an incursion prevents both universes from being destroyed.

And I just binge-read the entire run of New Avengers again, so don't tell me I'm wrong.

- Sons of the Desert

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:30 am

Juan Cena wrote:
No, they're not. Destroying one of the Earths during an incursion prevents both universes from being destroyed.

And I just binge-read the entire run of New Avengers again, so don't tell me I'm wrong.

Having not read a single issue of new avengers, i have no problem telling you, you are wrong! :p

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:56 pm

thefourthman wrote:Having not read a single issue of new avengers, i have no problem telling you, you are wrong! :p

Dude, it explains the whole Incursion thing in NA #2

- Sons of the Desert

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Dude, it explains the whole Incursion thing in NA #2

:lol:

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:25 pm

sdsichero wrote:
I flipped through my copy tonight and this made me very sad.

Rom was one of my favorite comics as a kid and was happy to see OG style spaceknights again.

And not only do they kill the oldies off but Ikon too... Where were the Annihilators? Quasar won't be so happy...

What I don't get is that most of the ones we saw in that panel were originally killed of in Rom.

It's like they just brought them back to kill them off all over again.

Two thing worth noting, when the Outrider is digging through Blackbolt's mind the whereabouts of the Infinity Gems are only a secondary concern, AND, Reed is the only one NOT holding a shattered gem, his hand was empty.

Hab

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Grayson wrote:As much as I like Thanos, I reluctantly decided to sit out Thanos Rising because I couldn't get past Simone Bianchi's abysmal art, so I was pleasantly surprised by how great Cheung's Thanos looked. Hell, the entire book looked fantastic.

The situation with Cap looking more aged than normal may be a side effect from the current story-arc in his solo title. The story is still ongoing, so we don't know how it will be resolved but he has spent the equivalent of 10+ years in an alternate dimension created by Arnim Zola. However, that may or may not be happening in his head.

Also, Iron Man's entire new costume looks dumb.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities.

Simone Bianchi is a very good artist, but for some reason he seems to be unpopular among many Marvel fans.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:49 pm

habitual wrote:
What I don't get is that most of the ones we saw in that panel were originally killed of in Rom.

It's like they just brought them back to kill them off all over again.

Two thing worth noting, when the Outrider is digging through Blackbolt's mind the whereabouts of the Infinity Gems are only a secondary concern, AND, Reed is the only one NOT holding a shattered gem, his hand was empty.

Hab

Unless he was looking for the gems, figured out the Time Gem wasn't destroyed, and knew of some connection to it or the other Gems to the Inhumans, which was buried deep in Black Bolt's mind (maybe in some kind of Inhuman race memory, perhaps?) that would help him recover it.

Thanos probably knows more about the Infinity Gems than a good 99.99% of the universe. There's got to be a connection somewhere. This mini ain't called "Infinity" for nothing, y'know.

- Sons of the Desert

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 407 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:19 pm

thefourthman wrote:Having not read a single issue of new avengers, i have no problem telling you, you are wrong! :p

always wrong.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Arion wrote:Simone Bianchi is a very good artist, but for some reason he seems to be unpopular among many Marvel fans.

I'm not a fan but some artists just don't work well in a mainstream, superhero medium. In my opinion, Bianchi is definitely one of those artists.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand