Advertisement

Batman #23 (Here's to symmetry Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Batman #23 (Here's to symmetry Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:27 pm

‘Zero Year’ continues to be an enjoyable, but still entirely unnecessary story. Now, I’m not saying every story has to be ‘necessary’, because that would be dumb, but we’ve all seen Batman’s origin a billion fucking times, and we don’t need to see it again, even with all of the extra stuff Scott Snyder is adding. That’s most apparent in this issue when we see Snyder and Capullo’s take on the iconic ‘Yes father, I shall become a bat’ scene. They use that dialogue, and the scene is well told, but it’s just like… I saw Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli do this already! This is just an expanded, overcomplicated version of that!

This is by no means a bad comic, it’s actually really good, much better than most of DC’s output, but it’s just frustrating that that excellent team of Snyder and Capullo are doing this, rather than something interesting set in the present-day of Batman. The character just went through 3 very traumatic upheavals, the revelation that he has a brother, the ‘death of the family’ and then Damian actually dying. I want to see Snyder write that, not this.

But that’s just sour grapes, I should try and review this comic not some imagined one in my head. As I said, this comic is still good, and the opening sequence really shows that. The way the writer and the artist work together there, and show the different time periods works really well, really getting across both the themes of the story, but also the disorientation in Bruce Wayne’s head after the Red Hood gang’s bomb. I also really liked the speech from the main Red Hood, he’s a really effective villain, especially because we’re still not sure whether he’s The Joker or not. I’m actually thinking that he’s not The Joker, and that one of his random Hood henchman is actually the future Clown Prince of Crime, that would be a great twist.

Unfortunately, that same ambiguity of character isn’t there when it comes to Edward Nygma. The scene between him and Philip Kane was pretty good, especially as it gave Kane some depth, he’s not a bad guy. But the way it ended was a bit cheesy, the whole ‘you’re just a big question mark’ nonsense. It was Geoff Johns-type (hey, Central City is fast! Coast City has no fear!) stuff, and I thought Snyder was better than that. The scene afterwards with Bruce and Alfred patching up their differences (and Alfred literally patching Bruce’s body back up) made up for it though. Less obvious symbolism, more great character work.

So yeah, this was another good issue of Batman, but I still keep coming back to the question (oh no, I am The Riddler!) of ‘do we need this?’. I know nobody needs any comic, but you know what I mean. Capullo’s artwork was of course excellent, I mentioned earlier how he and Snyder gave been working together for long enough now that they really are becoming a team. I also still like the different colour palette that Plascencia is using, this is a Batman comic that’s brighter than most, but it works. The back-up was once again interesting, and it managed to make Bruce’s ‘no-kill’ rule make sort of sense, plus, lovely Rafael Albuquerque art!

Advertisement

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Re: Batman #23 (Here's to symmetry Spoilers)

Postby Johnny Smith » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Punchy wrote:‘Zero Year’ continues to be an enjoyable, but still entirely unnecessary story. Now, I’m not saying every story has to be ‘necessary’, because that would be dumb, but we’ve all seen Batman’s origin a billion fucking times, and we don’t need to see it again, even with all of the extra stuff Scott Snyder is adding. That’s most apparent in this issue when we see Snyder and Capullo’s take on the iconic ‘Yes father, I shall become a bat’ scene. They use that dialogue, and the scene is well told, but it’s just like… I saw Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli do this already! This is just an expanded, overcomplicated version of that!

No mention of the purple hologram ball? My life feels complete now that I know it had a role in Batman's origin!

This is by no means a bad comic, it’s actually really good, much better than most of DC’s output, but it’s just frustrating that that excellent team of Snyder and Capullo are doing this, rather than something interesting set in the present-day of Batman. The character just went through 3 very traumatic upheavals, the revelation that he has a brother, the ‘death of the family’ and then Damian actually dying. I want to see Snyder write that, not this.

I assume/hope Snyder's using this story to seed plot points that will pop up again when he returns to writing present day Batman stories.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 554 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:40 am

Johnny Smith wrote:
No mention of the purple hologram ball? My life feels complete now that I know it had a role in Batman's origin!

Yeah, WTF was up with that?

I assume/hope Snyder's using this story to seed plot points that will pop up again when he returns to writing present day Batman stories.

Maybe but I don't know if I can handle a year of that.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:47 am

Scott Snyder is probably my favorite writer in comics these days, so he can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand