Advertisement

So, this is what Videogamers are demanding these days?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

So, this is what Videogamers are demanding these days?

Postby thefourthman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:48 am

Heard about this on NPR, it was described as a writer's "existential nightmare."

The other thing struck me in the NPR piece was the programmer saying you didn't win or lose the game, you might have the character write the great american novel, but he gets divorced and his kids hate him. Which sounds like losing to me.

http://kotaku.com/a-game-about-what-rea ... 1065975282

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 49 posts

Re: So, this is what Videogamers are demanding these days?

Postby MrBlack » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:18 am

I like that there are people out there making games that don't involve murdering everyone you meet, but I'll probably give this a pass. It sounds too much like my actual life to be enjoyable.

concreatjungle
Naked, Greased-Up Deaf Guy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby concreatjungle » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:35 am

I think I'll be too busy playing GTA to bother with a quiet game about a novelist :smt026

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:48 am

MrBlack wrote:I like that there are people out there making games that don't involve murdering everyone you meet, but I'll probably give this a pass. It sounds too much like my actual life to be enjoyable.

I agree with everything about this post.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:10 pm

I could never play something like the Sims because it was basically life in fast forward. Cook food, develop relationships, make it to work on time but all with a timer moving too quickly for you to have a decent breakfast before getting out the door.

Which may be fast forward or it might just seem like your normal life. Anyway, I figured I should probably spend time working on MY OWN life instead of living some crazy virtual one.

At the same time, games like Animal Crossing, where you can pretty much play at your own pace and even spend days just relaxing and fishing, are fun as hell. THAT'S a game where there's no winning or losing. There's also no gunplay.

So I probably won't waste my time on a game where all you can DO is lose. Or be mediocre.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 417 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:44 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:At the same time, games like Animal Crossing, where you can pretty much play at your own pace and even spend days just relaxing and fishing, are fun as hell. THAT'S a game where there's no winning or losing. There's also no gunplay.

What?!

(throws away copy)

SuperginraiX wrote:So I probably won't waste my time on a game where all you can DO is lose. Or be mediocre.

Now that's a game about my life. :-(

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 pm

It seems quite odd to take one niche indie game and phrase the topic as if "videogamers" are demanding it.

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:05 am

If I am going to play a game about a Writer's life, I will probably stick with Alan Wake.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 am

As I said, I don't think I'll pick this up, but I do think it is an interesting experiment in game design. Game design has been stuck in a bit of a rut for decades now. Platformers, RPGs, and fighting games haven't changed in terms of basic design since the NES era, and shooters are still working from the basic Wolfenstein/Doom formula.

With the tools we have available today, and the easy availability of funding, it's easier than ever to make a game, and we're staring to see more and more independent studios pushing the boundaries of what defines a game. Some of those experiments fall flat, but even those are pushing us in a new direction in terms of how we look at and play games.

It's a very exciting time!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum