Advertisement

Avengers #18 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers #18 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:13 pm

This issue confirmed it, if you picked up Infinity #1 last week, you need to start getting Avengers and New Avengers too, these aren’t just meaningless tie-ins, big things happen here!

This issue follows the Avengers out into space as they attempt to stop The Builders by teaming up with… the entire Galaxy. This issue focuses initially on a meeting of the Galactic Council, the same council that has been appearing in Guardians Of The Galaxy. You’ve got the Kree, the Spartax, the Shi’Ar, the Badoon, and now, even the Skrulls. Basically, any important alien race is here, preparing for war, and our heroes are just a small part of it. It’s pretty interesting that the Avengers are not a big part of this war, because, on a cosmic scale, we are fairly unimportant. Other planets have thousands, millions of soldiers present, but Earth only has 18. It’s certainly humbling, and it really gets across the scale of the threat Hickman has set up here.

In many ways, this issue reminded me of the likes of Annihilation and the other cosmic events. A lot of the major players from those stories by Giffen and DnA are present here, and this feels like the next step in that story, only now, it’s not a small event off to the side, it’s the main Marvel crossover for 2013, which is pretty great. Marvel said they wanted to make Marvel Cosmic into a bigger deal, and they’ve done so, first with the new Nova and Guardians titles, and now with secretly turning the Avengers into Marvel Cosmic. It’s awesome to see, and I certainly hope that people who read Infinity will go back and read those other series, because they were just as good as this event.

This issue features the first big battle, and it’s pretty crazy, especially as it’s not the kind of fight you tend to see in superhero stories, this is an interstellar dogfight, with space-ships, and the scale of it is very impressive. Leinil Yu’s art really adds to the epic feel of this story, as even though the fight only lasts a few pages, it feels huge. It was also great to see Yu draw some Skrulls again, he proved the master of drawing the green guys in Secret Invasion, and he’s back at it again, only this time… Super-Skrull is involved.

The ending of this issue was pretty shocking, as The Builders reveal that their fleet was a distraction, only a small part, and start really laying waste, some of the Avengers escape thanks to Manifold, but the likes of Captain Marvel and Hawkeye are left stranded. It’s looking bleak, and throughout this issue, I had Thanos in the back of my head, the Avengers are out there trying to save the world from one threat, but there’s a bigger one back home.

This is such a good crossover already, after only 2 issues, I’m loving it, Hickman is at the top of his game here, and he’s even doing proper characterisation! Cannonball and Sunspot are still hilarious, Spider-Woman’s history with Skrulls is mentioned, as were Captain Marvel’s piloting skills. Now that the Avengers are getting proactive, their personalities are coming to the fore, it’s just a shame it could all end in tears.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 843 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Avengers #18 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Punchy wrote:Super-Skrull is involved.

Super-Skrull you say? I stopped getting the main Avengers book several issues ago but this may warrant a look. Just wish that Richard Rider were around. Considering all the crap he had to handle while the heroes on Earth played war with each other, I'm sure he would have some interesting things to say to the Avengers.
ImageImageImage

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Punch, do you know if I should read this first, or Avengers Assemble that came out today? Is there a checklist/reading order for this?

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:03 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Punch, do you know if I should read this first, or Avengers Assemble that came out today? Is there a checklist/reading order for this?

The reading order seems to only be for the main stuff that Hickman is writing, Infinity, Avengers and New Avengers.

I would say read this one first, because it's written by Hickman, and then go with AA (which I don't read regularly).

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:56 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Punch, do you know if I should read this first, or Avengers Assemble that came out today? Is there a checklist/reading order for this?

Avenger's Assemble takes place after the events of Avengers #18, so definitely read it second.

Too much girl speak for Punchy :D

Hab

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:33 am

habitual wrote:
Avenger's Assemble takes place after the events of Avengers #18, so definitely read it second.

Hab

i thought it takes place to the side of it but in the same setting. at least that's what i was told.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:11 am

habitual wrote:

Hab

WTF?

Chicanery
expert hobo killer

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chicanery » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 am

Bit sexist that. And nonsensical.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:05 am

Punchy wrote:This issue confirmed it, if you picked up Infinity #1 last week, you need to start getting Avengers and New Avengers too, these aren’t just meaningless tie-ins, big things happen here!

This issue follows the Avengers out into space as they attempt to stop The Builders by teaming up with… the entire Galaxy. This issue focuses initially on a meeting of the Galactic Council, the same council that has been appearing in Guardians Of The Galaxy. You’ve got the Kree, the Spartax, the Shi’Ar, the Badoon, and now, even the Skrulls. Basically, any important alien race is here, preparing for war, and our heroes are just a small part of it. It’s pretty interesting that the Avengers are not a big part of this war, because, on a cosmic scale, we are fairly unimportant. Other planets have thousands, millions of soldiers present, but Earth only has 18. It’s certainly humbling, and it really gets across the scale of the threat Hickman has set up here.

In many ways, this issue reminded me of the likes of Annihilation and the other cosmic events. A lot of the major players from those stories by Giffen and DnA are present here, and this feels like the next step in that story, only now, it’s not a small event off to the side, it’s the main Marvel crossover for 2013, which is pretty great. Marvel said they wanted to make Marvel Cosmic into a bigger deal, and they’ve done so, first with the new Nova and Guardians titles, and now with secretly turning the Avengers into Marvel Cosmic. It’s awesome to see, and I certainly hope that people who read Infinity will go back and read those other series, because they were just as good as this event.

This issue features the first big battle, and it’s pretty crazy, especially as it’s not the kind of fight you tend to see in superhero stories, this is an interstellar dogfight, with space-ships, and the scale of it is very impressive. Leinil Yu’s art really adds to the epic feel of this story, as even though the fight only lasts a few pages, it feels huge. It was also great to see Yu draw some Skrulls again, he proved the master of drawing the green guys in Secret Invasion, and he’s back at it again, only this time… Super-Skrull is involved.

The ending of this issue was pretty shocking, as The Builders reveal that their fleet was a distraction, only a small part, and start really laying waste, some of the Avengers escape thanks to Manifold, but the likes of Captain Marvel and Hawkeye are left stranded. It’s looking bleak, and throughout this issue, I had Thanos in the back of my head, the Avengers are out there trying to save the world from one threat, but there’s a bigger one back home.

This is such a good crossover already, after only 2 issues, I’m loving it, Hickman is at the top of his game here, and he’s even doing proper characterisation! Cannonball and Sunspot are still hilarious, Spider-Woman’s history with Skrulls is mentioned, as were Captain Marvel’s piloting skills. Now that the Avengers are getting proactive, their personalities are coming to the fore, it’s just a shame it could all end in tears.

yeah Hickman's been on fire lately

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:32 am

Topo sighting!

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:35 am

While I thoroughly enjoyed this issue, I felt that in a lot of ways it was very by-the-numbers. About the only thing that really stood out to me was the beginning with Kl'rt. We haven't seen him in action since the build-up to Secret Invasion in Nova (though I seem to recall that one of the Secret Invasion tie-ins dealt with his involvement), so it was nice to not only see him get some love, but show that he is entirely the equal now of a Supreme Intelligence or a Gladiator or a King of Spartax.

As for the rest of the issue, while it wasn't bad, nothing about it rocked my world. Not that every issue of every comic should, mind you, but as I said earlier, it was very by-the-numbers. The moment that it became clear that the Galactic Council was going to throw everything they had against the Builder fleet in what they thought would be a clever ruse, I (and I imagine most of the readers) knew exactly how this was going to end. And it did.

Also, as has been the case for years now, I cannot stand Lenil Yu's art. I just loathe it.

On the whole, a good, solid issue, but not much to make it stand out from the herd, even if it does move the story ahead.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:51 am

Keb wrote:Topo sighting!

hey dude
I started using a VPN, so now I can log on to that from anywhere and bypass all my work filters

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 pm

I didn't think the art team did all that great a job when it came to the battle scenes. I never got a good sense of exactly how the battle was going. There were numerous close up shot broken up by huge panels showing ships flying at each other with no real direction for how the battle was going. The more personal scenes with characters like the Super-Skrull more than made up for this though and I have to say I enjoyed this issue overall.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:23 pm

eltopo wrote:hey dude
I started using a VPN, so now I can log on to that from anywhere and bypass all my work filters

Good!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand