Advertisement

Wonder Woman #23 (The perfume of hate Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Wonder Woman #23 (The perfume of hate Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Brian Azzarello’s run on Wonder Woman has been a slow burn, each issue is good, but it’s all building towards something bigger, and in this issue, we reached a crescendo point, as the battle between Wonder Woman and the First Born really kicked into gear and shit got fucked up and this title made some serious changes.

This issue was basically just one big fight between Diana’s motley group, and the First Born’s army of Jackal Men, and it was great, as everyone got a chance to shine, Orion and First Born had an awesome fight, War summoned an army of ghost soldiers, Hera got to demonstrate some actual character growth, and most importantly of all, Wonder Woman cut loose and took the fight to someone in a really hardcore manner. Has it been established before that Wonder Woman taking off her gauntlets means she gets more powerful? It rings a bell, but maybe it’s new.

Cliff Chiang draws this entire epic fight, and man, it looks amazing, he’s been so consistently great on this title since the beginning, but this action-heavy piece may be the best yet, because he’s being asked to do more. In the end, just as the First Born is about to kill War and take his Godhood, Wonder Woman stabs both of them, killing War and leaving the First Born gravely wounded. This means that… Wonder Woman is the new God Of War, which is, wow, a pretty crazy development. Azzarello has not been shy about shaking up this character, first he completely changed her origin, and now this. I can’t wait to see what becoming an actual God will do to Diana, and how this will change the story going forwards.

In many ways, this feels like the ending of the first act of Azzarello’s story. Central characters like Lennox and War are now dead, and it looks like Apollo is stepping up his game and has something planned for First Born. Next month’s break for Villain’s month really does make this an ending, but I can’t wait for the new beginning. This is one of the best issues so far of one of DC’s best titles, and I never thought I’d be saying that about a Wonder Woman book. The God Of War is dead, long live the God Of War!

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Wonder Woman #23 (The perfume of hate Spoilers)

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Has it been established before that Wonder Woman taking off her gauntlets means she gets more powerful? It rings a bell, but maybe it’s new.

Back in the day, when Amazons took off their slave bracelets, they went f**king nuts.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 198 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 pm

AZZARELLO Explains the events of this issue.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Wonder Woman is consistently the best comic book being published.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 196 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:12 pm

We all know War will be back........

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand