Saturday, August 27, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Ban Herald ASAP!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

LSH #23 Final issue

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Has anyone claimed that Legion hasn't been a failure since Waid left the book? I mean, it's pretty well-documented that the actual Legion books have sucked since Levitz came on the books. No one (save for IVcNuB4 perhaps) can really argue that.

I disagree that this whole thing is Johns' fault, though. When Tony Bedard replaced Waid on the Threeboot, it also immediately went to crap. As I've said repeatedly, only A-list talent can make the Legion work in today's industry.
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:07 pm

guitargod694 wrote:I dunno... I think most of it is just good natured ribbing. :smt102

We're nerds. Nerds get picked on for being nerds. Sometimes, by other nerds. :-D


I'm sorry, but I just don't buy into that. People disagree here, I disagree here, sometimes strongly. But the pack mentality of who gets picked on, and the underlying reason why...The entry point is the fact that the person cares about an overpriced comic book. But the reason behind it is something else entirely. We all have seen it -- it's classic trolling. Always a "small comment" here, a little ribbing there -- but it never stops, for certain people. And if you do respond, you're "taking things too seriously."
User avatar

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Soooo, how about those O's?
User avatar

guitargod694

cheese

Postby guitargod694 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy into that. People disagree here, I disagree here, sometimes strongly. But the pack mentality of who gets picked on, and the underlying reason why...The entry point is the fact that the person cares about an overpriced comic book. But the reason behind it is something else entirely. We all have seen it -- it's classic trolling. Always a "small comment" here, a little ribbing there -- but it never stops, for certain people. And if you do respond, you're "taking things too seriously."


Fair enough.
Everyone gets to decide for themselves what is good natured and what is over the line, I suppose.
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:11 pm

On a related note, when the opening post of a thread discusses how a creator murdered a fanbase and left them on the side of the road with a broken neck, I think it sets the tone of a thread.

Overreaction begats overreaction on the Internet, especially on this board. Yes, there's a mob mentality on the Internet. Yes, there's a level of familiarity here that allows people to feel they can take deeper digs. But, fanboyish rampages and over the top hyperbole tend to get mocked here. If an established poster hasn't figured that out by now, caveat emptor. :smt102
User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:17 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Has anyone claimed that Legion hasn't been a failure since Waid left the book? I mean, it's pretty well-documented that the actual Legion books have sucked since Levitz came on the books. No one (save for IVcNuB4 perhaps) can really argue that.

I disagree that this whole thing is Johns' fault, though. When Tony Bedard replaced Waid on the Threeboot, it also immediately went to crap. As I've said repeatedly, only A-list talent can make the Legion work in today's industry.


Was Waid's run really that great either? I can hardly remember it anymore.

DnA's run was the last time the franchise really excited me, except for the cartoon.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Eat it Grandpa!
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:23 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Has anyone claimed that Legion hasn't been a failure since Waid left the book? I mean, it's pretty well-documented that the actual Legion books have sucked since Levitz came on the books. No one (save for IVcNuB4 perhaps) can really argue that.

I disagree that this whole thing is Johns' fault, though. When Tony Bedard replaced Waid on the Threeboot, it also immediately went to crap. As I've said repeatedly, only A-list talent can make the Legion work in today's industry.


It might take an "A-list" creator for it to sell like skyrockets, but obviously, an any up and comer with a strong vision would be enough to keep sales above the Mendoza Line. Imagine if a Scott Snyder or a Jonathan Hickman had been handed Legion instead of Levitz five years ago. Or if some rising creators of note had been given the boot at the time of Flashpoint. Would it be canceled now?

And let's not forget, Lightning Saga and the Legion's appearance in Action was what really sealed the Threeboot's fate.

But you don't really want me to go on a long anti-Johns rant this close to dinner, do you?
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
It might take an "A-list" creator for it to sell like skyrockets, but obviously, an any up and comer with a strong vision would be enough to keep sales above the Mendoza Line. Imagine if a Scott Snyder or a Jonathan Hickman had been handed Legion instead of Levitz five years ago. Or if some rising creators of note had been given the boot at the time of Flashpoint. Would it be canceled now?

And let's not forget, Lightning Saga and the Legion's appearance in Action was what really sealed the Threeboot's fate.

But you don't really want me to go on a long anti-Johns rant this close to dinner, do you?


I know you can find the numbers, but wasn't the version of Legion prior to this one actually doing well, the one with Earth Man in it? Then Levitz had to break it off, just as he was getting rolling with the Legion of Super Villains?
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:27 pm

BlueStreak wrote:On a related note, when the opening post of a thread discusses how a creator murdered a fanbase and left them on the side of the road with a broken neck, I think it sets the tone of a thread.

Overreaction begats overreaction on the Internet, especially on this board. Yes, there's a mob mentality on the Internet. Yes, there's a level of familiarity here that allows people to feel they can take deeper digs. But, fanboyish rampages and over the top hyperbole tend to get mocked here. If an established poster hasn't figured that out by now, caveat emptor. :smt102


Yeah, I should have put a "treated them like he" or made a Craig James joke. But that would have required having explaining who Craig James was to you for the umpteenth time.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
I know you can find the numbers, but wasn't the version of Legion prior to this one actually doing well, the one with Earth Man in it? Then Levitz had to break it off, just as he was getting rolling with the Legion of Super Villains?


It was in the mid-to-low 20K's, IIRC. definitely not something to show the TW brass as a sign of success. But they were trending lower just about each month.
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
It was in the mid-to-low 20K's, IIRC. definitely not something to show the TW brass as a sign of success. But they were trending lower just about each month.


Did you like that series, or no? Because I honestly that was good, up until the point Levitz clearly had to tie it off for Flashpoint.

I hate to say it, but I do agree with you that this last volume was...it just wasn't that good, and it was unfortunate. I thought there was some room to move with Harmonia Li, and Levitz was clearly trying to move on from some of the older Legionnaires, but it just wasn't good enough to take.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:34 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy into that. People disagree here, I disagree here, sometimes strongly. But the pack mentality of who gets picked on, and the underlying reason why...The entry point is the fact that the person cares about an overpriced comic book. But the reason behind it is something else entirely. We all have seen it -- it's classic trolling. Always a "small comment" here, a little ribbing there -- but it never stops, for certain people. And if you do respond, you're "taking things too seriously."


Are you trying to say that Nac DOESN'T take the Legion too seriously? Taking certain things extremely seriously is Nac's gimmick!
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:37 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Are you trying to say that Nac DOESN'T take the Legion too seriously? Taking certain things extremely seriously is Nac's gimmick!


Ha! Man, the baseline for anybody who drops $3.99 and posts about comic books is "taking things too seriously." :-D :-D
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:42 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Did you like that series, or no? Because I honestly that was good, up until the point Levitz clearly had to tie it off for Flashpoint.

I hate to say it, but I do agree with you that this last volume was...it just wasn't that good, and it was unfortunate. I thought there was some room to move with Harmonia Li, and Levitz was clearly trying to move on from some of the older Legionnaires, but it just wasn't good enough to take.


I thought it was heading in a better direction. I loved the moment in the Timber Wolf yelled "I'm Human!" when Sun Emperor called him an animal.

That's the Brin I want. A charismatic loner, not an savage, animal-like character. Waid's TW was awesome because he had a James Dean (or even a Dylan McKay, if you must), with a little bit of Seto Kaiba thrown in.

That's why I blew up over DeFalco's zero issue Legion Lost origin, because it went the cheap "savage" route.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Wildcard17 and 56 guests