Advertisement

Justice League Dark #23 (Not a prison Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Justice League Dark #23 (Not a prison Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Things are starting to become much clearer to me when it comes to the overall story of ‘Trinity War’. At first, it was confusing, you had the threat of the Secret Society on one hand, and Pandora and her box on the other, and it was unclear how and if they were related, but I think the ending to this issue has the answer. The box is a doorway to somewhere, and I think that doorway is to Earth 3, the world of the Crime Society Of Amerika, and next issue, The Outsider is going to open the box, and out will come Ultraman and Owlman and all the rest of those guys and Forever Evil will begin. You can bet your life on it.

Most of this issue was focussed on Pandora’s Box, and it possessing people and making them totally eeeeeeevil. Wonder Woman starts out with it, but Shazam soon comes in and grabs it, and something weird happens, it not only turns his costume black (is this how Black Adam comes back?) but it sends out some weird shockwaves that attack all of the other magical heroes in the DCU. I found it interesting that this shockwave managed to reach across into Earth 2 and Doctor Fate. Not only does this show how powerful this box is, but it reinforces my belief that Earth 3 is inside it.

The way the box managed to make all of the various heroes go crazy for it was a bit clichéd, but it was effective, and I liked seeing Zatanna really demonstrate her powers and kick a little ass, it was also great how John Constantine was able to pick it up and not be corrupted, because he’s already corrupt, I loved that.

I find it interesting that Lemire and Johns have kept a lot of the characters in the various Justice Leagues away from Pandora and the Outsider, the likes of Superman, Green Arrow, Cyborg and more are trapped under the rubble of ARGUS and dealing with the slightly more mundane problem of Amanda Waller’s treacherous nature. So even though I think I’ve got the mystery figured out, that strange dual nature of this story is still present. Perhaps it’s just that there are way too many characters in the Justice Leagues, and not all of them can be central.

Once again, Mikel Janin’s artwork was very good, these two issues are the first time I’ve seen his art, and I think he’s destined for great things, I’m very interested in seeing what he does next, perhaps a stint on a Superman book?

This crossover has been surprisingly good so far, and if Johns can tie everything together at the end, then all the better. It’s great to see someone like Jeff Lemire rise to do doing most of the heavy lifting on a big crossover like this, he and Jonathan Hickman are living the dream!

Advertisement

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 136 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Re: Justice League Dark #23 (Not a prison Spoilers)

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Black Billy? I knew I shouldn't have clicked this thread. :smt011

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:43 pm

This issue wasn't bad, and I'd say that this crossover has been better than I thought it would be. Having said that, I'll be glad to get Justice League Dark back minus having to read Justice League and JLA.

Thank you Troy for the sig

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

This crossover has been fantastic. Can't wait to read Justice League on Wednesday!

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 27 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42 pm

[quote][Pandora and her box/quote]

Heh.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:35 pm

syxxpakk wrote:This crossover has been fantastic. Can't wait to read Justice League on Wednesday!

Yeah, it's been surprisingly good.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand