Advertisement

Thor #12

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Thor #12

Postby habitual » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 pm

I really enjoyed this issue.

You get to see all three Thors returning to Midgard to celebrate their latest victory.

Some interesting revelations as far as Jane Foster goes and another one at the end of the book as far as All-Father Thor.

I really like well told one shots between big arcs.

Hab

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Thor #12

Postby chap22 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:17 pm

One of the better "day in the life" issues I've read in a long time, maybe since the early days of New Teen Titans. Like the new potential love interest, liked the Jane scene a lot, intrigued by King Thor's stuff. Aaron continues to hit home runs on this book
Last edited by chap22 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Hands down, the best thing that came out this week.

I haven't ever actually gotten a little misty over a Thor comic before, but holy hell if this didn't do the trick...

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 368 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Jason Aaron is quickly becoming the definitive Thor writer in my eyes! He is just killing it on this book!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:Hands down, the best thing that came out this week.

I haven't ever actually gotten a little misty over a Thor comic before, but holy hell if this didn't do the trick...

Not just this week, but in many, many weeks, IMO -- I've read tens of thousands of comic books by now, and reading this issue easily is one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had doing it.

Whenever people might ask -- hell, for even when I ask myself -- why I put up with so much of the stuff I don't like about this industry, it's because every once in awhile, you get stuff like Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers, and Jason Aaron's Thor.

It's stuff like this that makes a lot of Bad Creator/Issue/Run Pain go away.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Chicanery
expert hobo killer

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chicanery » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:14 pm

I more or less cried when it turned out Jane had cancer. We just saw her a couple of issues ago in Journey Into Mystery, and she was perfectly fine. Genuine heartbreaking moment.

We like to think comic characters are invincible, and when one of them gets sick it's truly shocking.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:40 pm

After wrapping up the epic ‘God Butcher’ story in style, Jason Aaron slows down the pace a bit for this issue, as all three Thors return to Midgard/Earth, and whilst this issue is light on explosions and action, it’s still a fantastic comic, and one that really nails just why Thor is such a good character, and why he always returns back to Earth.

The opening scene shows Young Thor back in Iceland, and back to shagging wenches, and in a great speech, Aaron really shows why Thor loves Earth and the Humans, and that throughline of why he always returns is present throughout the issue.

The bulk of the story focuses of course on ‘Thor The Avenger’, our Thor, and Aaron packs the issue full of great little scenes that show Thor interacting with the world. We see him return to his favourite Pub in New York to drink mead, we see him feed street-children with alien fruit, we see him have a chat with the Dalai Lama, we see him hanging around with Army veterans and we see him bring rain to the desert. In just these small vignettes, you see how Thor is much more than just another superhero.

The longer scenes were also very interesting, is Fulton, the death-row prisoner who Thor visits a pre-existing character or someone totally new? Either way, Thor giving him his final meal and walking with him to the execution chamber was very touching.

Aaron also deals a lot with Thor’s love life, as we meet what looks to be a new love interest in SHIELD environmental scientist Roz Solomon. After only a few pages, I already like Roz as a character, her interactions with Thor are very charming, and her role as an Agent (sort of) of SHIELD should make for a cool relationship. The best scenes in this issue however involved Thor’s ex-girlfriend, Jane Foster, who we discover is undergoing Chemotherapy for breast cancer. I really enjoyed these scenes, especially Jane’s insistence that Thor leave her to battle this with Earth-science rather than fine some ‘healing runes’ or some shit. A close family member is currently dealing with cancer, so this stuff hit close to home, and I really appreciate Aaron not treating lightly and having it be cured.

I also loved the scene of Thor and Jane sitting on the moon, it’s almost as good as the classic Superman and Lois bit from All-Star Superman. When your book draws comparison to Morrison and Quitely, then you’re on to something special. Whilst this issue is mostly a standalone, slice of Thor’s life type of thing, the closing few pages do kick-start the plot a little, as we see King Thor return to the Midgard of the far-future, and it’s a blackened ruin. How did this happen? Well, it looks like we’re going to find out.

Nic Klein steps in to provide the art for this issue, and he does an excellent job, his Thor is nice and imposing, and from his work with Ivan Brandon on Viking, we know he can handle, well, Vikings. This was another top-notch issue of Thor, and one which demonstrates the versatility of Jason Aaron, he can go from huge epic battles, to smaller personal stories, and they all ring true. This was a nice breather before the next big arc and the return of Malekith. With that character set to be the villain in the next Thor movie, I expect big things.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 865 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:43 pm

I really enjoyed almost everything about this issue. My only problem was this new potential love interest, Roz Solomon, is intriguing enough but I found the concept of Jane Foster dealing with cancer to be a more dynamic concept. Honestly, I would really like to read that story. There would be something powerful about a story where a character like Thor, who came move mountains, stays beside the love of his life as she wages her own battle against a very real and frightening disease.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand