Advertisement

Your Friendly Neighborhood Comic Shop: If I Were the Emperor of Comics... (Part 4)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 142 posts

Advertisement

Ray Van Horn Jr.
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Your Friendly Neighborhood Comic Shop: If I Were the Emperor of Comics... (Part 4)

Postby Ray Van Horn Jr. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:48 pm

While there's logic in cross-promotion in the fashion that toys, statuettes and other flotsam related to the genre, I get what you're saying here since you can go to Wal Mart and get toys if you like. Having them on-hand does serve the opportunity to broaden profits, but the average consumer isn't going to pay the extra few bucks to grab an action figure in a comic shop just because it saves the extra trip. I think it makes sense to offer comics-related t-shirts and of course the exclusive statuettes you wouldn't get anywhere else, but with the across-the-board cover prices for books now, really, you're setting yourself up for failure if you broaden your stock and focus too large. On average, people only have enough scratch to get their books out of their subscription boxes and maybe the random impulse book purchase or something new to try. When I worked in a comic book retailer in the early nineties, the action figures were for sale as well, and ONLY the Star Trek: Next Gen and Todd McFarlane's figures moved with any kind of reliability. The others grew dust.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand