Advertisement

Action Comics #23.1: Cyborg Superman Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post

Postby LOLtron » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:08 am

'Born In Flames'

Source: Newsarama preview images

The DC solicit says:

Deep in space sits a cybernetic force of evil unlike any other. What terrible connection does Cyborg Superman share with Krypton? And what alien force commands the robotic terror? Find out here!

Written by:  Michael Alan Nelson
Art by:  Mike Hawthorne
Cover by:  Aaron Kuder
32 pages
2D cover:  $2.99  (US)
On Sale:  September 4, 2013

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Re: Action Comics #23.1: Cyborg Superman Preview

Postby sdsichero » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Zechs would have posted this but he's... busy.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:12 pm

sdsichero wrote:Zechs would have posted this but he's... busy.

It takes a lot of prep time to post one of his legendary rants :P
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Zechs
Staff Writer

Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:09 pm

.... They even ripped off the transformation sequence of Darth Vader. I cannot believe they've completely sucked the fun out of the Cyborg Superman.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:54 pm

How so?

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Zechs wrote:.... They even ripped off the transformation sequence of Darth Vader. I cannot believe they've completely sucked the fun out of the Cyborg Superman.

Kind of sucks it's not Henshaw as I hoped-even though I do think Henshaw's reasons for being evil were lame from the get-go. Still I prefer Cybes as an evil Mr. Fantastic analogue rather than Brainiac's pawn. New 52 fucked up another character apparently.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Zechs wrote:I cannot believe they've completely sucked the fun out of the Cyborg Superman.

That's Zechs' job.

IfyaknowwhatImean

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:40 am

Nu 52 Krypton blows. Just pure generic Sci-Fi.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:50 am

I like the look of the character... but the new origin is ridiculous. "make him look like his brother but more robotic and with the colors his nephew will someday wear."

:lol:

That's a lot of hoops to jump through to get where they wanted to go.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:30 am

Juan Cena wrote:Nu 52 Krypton blows. Just pure generic Sci-Fi.

So... the same as every other Krypton?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:26 am

Punchy wrote:
So... the same as every other Krypton?

Nah. The Krypton Byrne originally envisioned in Man of Steel #1 was in many ways owed more to Vulcan than Earth. The civilization was older, more conservative, and more formal. It was implied the idea of "love" as we know it was something Krypton had gotten away from, as expressed by Jor-El to Lara in Krypton's last dying minutes.

That was always one of the reasons Superman avoided incorporating Kryptonian tech on Earth, as it has this nasty habit of wanting to reshape Earth in Krypton's image, IIRC.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:50 am

SuperginraiX wrote:I like the look of the character... but the new origin is ridiculous. "make him look like his brother but more robotic and with the colors his nephew will someday wear."

:lol:

That's a lot of hoops to jump through to get where they wanted to go.

It actually makes perfect sense if you've read the story.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:11 am

Doesn't a Cyborg Superman "created" by Brainiac make a lot more sense than a random ripoff of another character from another company. It's not like Henshaw had his accident and immediately became Cyborg Supes anyway. And it's not as if the original idea of Cyborg Supes--pre-Henshaw reveal, which was kinda irrelevant anyway at the time--wasn't a parody/riff of the era in which he was created. So I can understand wanting to change the origin of the character to fit a new universe and actually make some kind of sense.

Or DC could've retold the same origin story and have people bitch anyway about how they're just retelling stories from the last universe instead of doing something different. Win-win/lose-lose, same difference.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:28 pm

superfictious wrote:Doesn't a Cyborg Superman "created" by Brainiac make a lot more sense than a random ripoff of another character from another company. It's not like Henshaw had his accident and immediately became Cyborg Supes anyway. And it's not as if the original idea of Cyborg Supes--pre-Henshaw reveal, which was kinda irrelevant anyway at the time--wasn't a parody/riff of the era in which he was created. So I can understand wanting to change the origin of the character to fit a new universe and actually make some kind of sense.

Or DC could've retold the same origin story and have people bitch anyway about how they're just retelling stories from the last universe instead of doing something different. Win-win/lose-lose, same difference.

It's the Zor-El part. That's like making Two-Face not Harvey Dent or General Zod not a dude named Zod. You don't take away the identity that's the nature of the character. It connects him to someone he doesn't need to be connected too. It makes him "more connected". The Cyborg Superman is already connected to SUPERMAN, SUPERBOY, and GREEN LANTERN. Why the necessity to tie him to someone who hasn't been tied before? The Brainiac part doesn't bother me since I even said that's how they should incorporate the Cyborg Superman in the DC Movieverse with Superman Returns.

Also this just throwing every available villain to tie into Kara and not Superman himself is ridiculous. She already has He'el and New 52 Eradicator tied to her as well. The best part of Cyborg Superman's origin is gone too. Technically the accident WAS Superman's fault (the fight he had with the Eradicator caused the waves that hit the ship) and in the end he failed to save them all save one (Henshaw's wife Terri). There was a tragedy to it all when Henshaw returned and it freaked the living hell out of his wife. Now it's all gone and replaced with this Anakin/Luke Skywalker subplot with Zor-El and Kara with no doubt the later trying to prove there still is good in him even though he's more machine than man.

Then there's the reasons of Henshaw's insanity slowly being cut away until there's only the machine left and the only emotional a fix of utter hatred for Superman.

The freaking Smallville comic understood all these facts and gave a better origin than the New 52. All the facts that made the Cyborg Superman are all there. You know what they should have done? Use the New 52 Henshaw that appeared in Team 7 and the Spartan program made him survive and use it to be found by Brainiac who then tries to adjust it into making it Kryptonian and hence the Cyborg Superman. Have him fight Superman or Green Lantern and nuke Coast Cit.. oh wait that didn't happen but Hal still turned into Parallax. HOW THE FUCK DID THAT HAPPEN WITH NO HENSHAW OR MONGUL?!

Better idea? Just have the Henshaw from the old universe survive. It's the ultimate cruel joke. The entire universe gets wiped out and rebooted. Old Hank? He survives and remembers everything from the past ala Psycho Pirate. Give me my damn paycheck DC I write better than all your Superman ongoing writers save your digital ones.

Hell if I was Jurgens himself whenever he gets to write or gets some authority back in a Superman book I hope he retcons and pulls a Prometheus or Lobo on this utter shit.

*sigh* I didn't want to rant. I didn't even want to look. WHY DID I HAVE TO LOOK AT TIHS PREVIEW!?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:56 pm

I don't mind the new origin, in fact it's actually kind of intriguing. If I had more interest in the Superman family titles, I would probably check this out. The only issue that I have with it, is the same issue that I have with a lot of the new origins of DC characters that don't originate from Earth. How does Barry Allen messing with time to save his mother, effect entire races of extraterrestrial life? Even factoring in Pandora meddling, it's difficult to wrap my head around and I usually love high concept ideas and stories.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to Previews