Advertisement

Batman/Superman #3 (Grow up to be a jerk Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Batman/Superman #3 (Grow up to be a jerk Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:12 am

I think I’d be enjoying this title a lot more if I had read Earth 2 and therefore gave a damn about that universe’s versions of Batman and Superman. It just seems weird to me that so much of this story is focussed on those versions and not the Earth 1 characters.

The flashback where we see Clark and Bruce palling around as kids was very well-written and touching, but it was about a Batman and Superman that are already dead, and that I don’t care about. I suppose seeing them as friends works as a nice counterpoint to the adversarial relationship the ‘real’ Bats and Supes currently have, but at this point, those guys fee like afterthoughts.

I also find that all of the Darkseid foreshadowing that’s going on here is more about Earth 2 than the New 52 stories. I guess the universe (or multiverse) is telling me to read Earth 2.
There are good points here, as I said, the flashback was well done, and it was interesting seeing the differences between Earth 1 Superman’s abilities and Earth 2’s. I also liked the little piss-take of ‘Man Of Steel’ that Greg Pak snuck in there, that was fun. I just find it hard to care about what Kaiyo is up to here, her plot doesn’t really hang together.

The art is amazing however, Jae Lee is delivering truly great stuff on this title, his depiction of Apokolips is deeply scary. Yildiray Cinar’s art on the flashback was also good, but perhaps a bit too far removed in style from Lee’s.

I just think that Pak has gotten his priorites mixed up a bit here, he should be using the Earth 2 Batman and Superman to develop the Earth 1 versions more, not the other way around, because as I said, those characters are already long dead, so why bother? It’s odd, hopefully, once things are back on Earth 1, this will change up a bit.

Advertisement

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Re: Batman/Superman #3 (Grow up to be a jerk Spoilers)

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:19 am

Earth Two is vastly better than most of the other titles DC is currently churning out, so I'll take any dip into that universe that I can get.

achilles
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:34 am

Spoil me, what are the differences between the Earth 1 Superman's abilities and those of Earth 2?
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 554 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:54 am

It's because of the age difference between the heroes. At the point when this takes place, Earth 1 Superman is only just starting his hero career (he's 22) while Earth 2 Superman is in his 30s so he has more experience and development of his powers. For example the younger Superman is still "super leaping" while Earth 2 Superman can actually fly. Likewise older Batman-2 has developed other fighting skills that Batman-1 hasn't learned yet.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:24 pm

But the title is Batman/Superman, not Earth-X Batman/Superman.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 554 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:28 pm

Exactly. It can apply to Batman and Superman on any Earth :groucho:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:36 pm

This and Injustice are the only readable DC titles IMO.

Hab

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:18 pm

habitual wrote:This and Injustice are the only readable DC titles IMO.

Hab

Add in Wonder Woman and Earth 2 and we're pretty much in agreement.

I liked this issue, though not as much as the last two. While I love Jae Lee's artwork and the flashback was kind of cutesy, I just couldn't bring myself to really get into this issue. Part of it, admittedly, was the foreshadowing of Darkseid, who I generally cannot stand as far as villains go.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand