Advertisement

Thanos Rising #5 (She does not exist Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Thanos Rising #5 (She does not exist Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Man, this is quite a week for Jason Aaron, new issues of Thor and X-Men, and also the final issue of this excellent mini-series, a story that really has turned me around on Thanos. Without this series, I would not be enjoying Infinity nearly as much, and it’s all thanks to Aaron and Bianchi’s dark, twisted, but surprisingly nuanced take on Thanos.

This finale is some heavy shit, as Thanos nukes the hell out of Titan, killing almost everyone on the planet, until it’s only him and his father left alive. The confrontation between Thanos and his dad was brilliantly written, and I loved how Thanos was forced to confront whether or not Death was real. I’m not sure myself if Death is real, and I don’t think it particularly matters why Thanos is a killer. But still, that moment where they finally kiss was fantastic, especially since it looked like Bianchi adjusted his art slightly, or maybe it was the colouring, but it looked less like a page of comic art and more like a fucked-up painting. It was great.

The final scene was also chilling, as we see that Thanos seems to have turned his back on Death and left her on Titan for all this time. I’m sure there are some fans of the old Jim Starlin stories that are annoyed by these retcons, but this story works for me, and it’s made this character into someone truly interesting to me. I mean, I liked his role fine in Giffen and DnA’s cosmic stories, but now he’s more than just a quasi-Darkseid to me, he’s a truly great villain, and one that’s awesome to read about in Infinity, and wow, I really hope that when the Marvel movies get around to using him (Avengers 3 I guess?), they use Aaron’s version.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Thanos Rising #5 (She does not exist Spoilers)

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:23 am

yeah this series was pretty amazing in spite of Bianchi's spotty art. I mean literally there are too many ink drips.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 830 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:25 am

I dropped this after two issues, but at that point it was possibly the worst comic ever made.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I dropped this after two issues, but at that point it was possibly the worst comic ever made.

I don't remember issue 2 being bad.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:01 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
I don't remember issue 2 being bad.

I guess not bad in a technical sense, but the story of child Thanos in love is probably the most unnecessary origin of all time.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 447 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:07 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I dropped this after two issues, but at that point it was possibly the worst comic ever made.

"Trash, trash trash TRASH!!!!!! all these new comics are absolute trash" Jude Terror muttered to himself atop a pile of soiled comic books. The western sky was crimson as the sun retreated below the horizon and Jude still hadn't found a comic book worth his time. "where is the unnecessary exposition" Jude thought dourly to himself "Claremont would never let the artist tell the story when he could explain it through text boxes" Jude screamed as he ripped this week's comic books in half. "something must be done" Jude rose from his multi-colored pallet "I can fix this somehow, I can repair the industry, they haven't made anything worthwhile since X-men Forever but somehow I alone can mend this rift in the comic book industry...... what's this" Jude glances down upon his breast where he sees a stray piece of pizza from last week's dominos "oh lunch" he joyfully quips as he inhales his prize. Just then the phone rings "Hello!!! Who is this can't you see I'm busy" Jude hollered into the receiver "Um well no, I'm not in the same room as you" came the reply on the other, Jude stood their with an blank expression on his face, finally the guttural voice continued "umm Mr. Terror this is Robert J. Monkeyson I own a thriving comic book website and need a top notch reporter to run the front page what do you think?" Jude just smiled and nodded not realizing that the man on the other end couldn't see him....

-Excerpt from the "Origins of the Outhouse issue #2" come back next week for the origin of Nieto's fancy hats.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:12 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I guess not bad in a technical sense, but the story of child Thanos in love is probably the most unnecessary origin of all time.

Yep. This was the most unnecessary origin story, and quite possibly one of the most terrible ones at that. Bianchi's art alone makes my eyes bleed.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:41 am

Rockman wrote:
"Trash! Trash! Trash! TRASH!!! All these new comics are absolute trash," Jude Terror muttered to himself atop a pile of soiled comic books. The Western sky was crimson as the sun retreated below the horizon, and Jude still hadn't found a comic book worth his time.

"Where is the unnecessary exposition?" Jude thought dourly to himself.

"Claremont would never let the artist tell the story when he could explain it through text boxes," Jude screamed as he ripped this week's comic books in half. "Something must be done."

Jude rose from his multi-colored pallet. "I can fix this somehow. I can repair the industry. They haven't made anything worthwhile since X-men Forever, but, somehow, I alone can mend this rift in the comic book industry... What's this?"

Jude glanced down upon his breast where he saw a stray piece of pizza from last week's Dominos.

"Oh. Lunch," he joyfully quipped as he inhaled his prize. Just then the phone rang.

"Hello?! Who is this?! Can't you see I'm busy?!" Jude hollered into the receiver.

"Um, well, no. I'm not in the same room as you," came the reply on the other.

Jude stood there with a blank expression on his face.

Finally, the guttural voice continued, "umm, Mr. Terror, this is Robert J. Monkeyson. I own a thriving comic book website and need a top notch reporter to run the front page. What do you think?"

Jude just smiled and nodded, not realizing that the man on the other end couldn't see him.

-Excerpt from the "Origins of the Outhouse Issue #2"

Come back next week for the origin of Nieto's fancy hats.

Damn, dude. Aren't you a teacher?

I like the concept, but you can be a bit clumsy in your prose. One big problem was that you switched tenses halfway through. If you're telling the story in the past tense, stick to that. This isn't some experimental Bukowski novel.

You don't need to include an adjective every time a character "says" something. You can be descriptive just using the actions the character is performing at the time. Rather than saying something dourly, Jude should frown or grimace. Using "grimace" would also help subconsciously remind the reader that he's fat.

I would suggest a rewrite. Try reading it out loud to get a feel for how it flows.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:49 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Damn, dude. Aren't you a teacher?

I like the concept, but you can be a bit clumsy in your prose. One big problem was that you switched tenses halfway through. If you're telling the story in the past tense, stick to that. This isn't some experimental Bukowski novel.

You don't need to include an adjective every time a character "says" something. You can be descriptive just using the actions the character is performing at the time. Rather than saying something dourly, Jude should frown or grimace. Using "grimace" would also help subconsciously remind the reader that he's fat.

I would suggest a rewrite. Try reading it out loud to get a feel for how it flows.

:lol:

I taught math, I'm not much of a writer I'm afraid.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:50 pm

I was kind of proud of that though, thought it was kind of funny :-(

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:13 pm

This.

The series was entirely unnecessary.

Hab

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Rockman wrote:I was kind of proud of that though, thought it was kind of funny :-(

I didn't say it was bad. You just need to work on your technique. :P

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:40 pm

I liked the series. Always been a fan of Bianci's art and getting a little peek inside the mind of Thanos was kinda cool. I always had a certain amount of respect for the character, but now that I understand his motivations a little bit more it makes him much more likeable.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:08 am

MistaT wrote:I liked the series. Always been a fan of Bianci's art and getting a little peek inside the mind of Thanos was kinda cool. I always had a certain amount of respect for the character, but now that I understand his motivations a little bit more it makes him much more likeable.

Uh...Thanos...likeable??? Ohhhhkay.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:20 am

habitual wrote:
This.

The series was entirely unnecessary.

Hab

Is any comic necessary?

I think with Thanos playing a starring role in the latest Marvel crossover, and also the movies, it makes sense that they'd want to be able to point readers to an easily accessible, modern origin, that doesn't have too much baggage in it.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand