Advertisement

Justice League #23 -- S P O I L E R S

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Justice League #23 -- S P O I L E R S

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:58 pm

In addition to the spoiler from the other thread which reveals the Justice League traitor(who made it to the main Earth with The Outsider) Johns also spills the beans on what's been happening with Superman. That was a surprise. I thought for sure that Ultra Man was somehow controlling him.

Now who is the Crime Syndicate's prisoner from their world ? I'm guessing maybe the Earth-3 Dick Grayson ?

Poor Earth-3 Aquaman. He looked cool. And notice that he's wearing Ocean Master's colors ?

Johns has been planting seeds for quite a while. Nice to see that there was a plan here all along.
And with the revelation of Grid it makes sense on how 8 super-villains will be able to take down the main Earth so quickly.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Re: Justice League #23 -- S P O I L E R S

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 pm

This was, quite possibly, one of the stupidest single issues I've ever read. There are no words for just how much this made me want to bang my head on my desk.

I guess I have no one to blame but myself. I should have stopped reading Geoff Johns' events a while back after Issue #4 of Blackest Night. But then I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.
Last edited by Flynn the Pirate on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Why?

I thought it was great.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 464 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:14 pm

I thought Johns knocked it out of the park with this issue, I loved it and am now looking forward to Forever Evil.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 221 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 pm

a year long teased event that was just a stealth filler event into another event. IGB review nailed it.

this is exactly the approach that killed his GL book for me.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 63 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:This was, quite possibly, one of the stupidest single issues I've ever read. There are no words for just how much this made me want to bang my head on my desk.

I guess I have no one to blame but myself. I should have stopped reading Geoff Johns' events a while back after Issue #4 of Blackest Night. But then I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

It's funny that you phrased it that way -- I feel exactly the same way. I have no one but myself to blame for continuing to read this. I don't...well, Ivan Reis is great. That's about the only thing that I can say about this book that isn't me whining about continuing to read something that I know has been bad and will continue to be bad until Johns is gone.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:15 am

In these reviews, I make a lot of wild predictions and random spitballing, and it’s not often that I’m right, but with this issue, I was proven to be spot on with my predictions not once, but twice. This either means that I’m a genius, or it just means that Geoff Johns is being really obvious in his writing. But either, way, this was a satisfying conclusion to the surprisingly good Trinity War, and a great set-up for Forever Evil. I know that people have ‘event fatigue’ or some crap like that (how the hell can reading make you fatigued? Some people have weak arms), but I’m excited.

The first prediction that I got correct was that Pandora’s Box was actually the doorway to Earth 3, and that once it opens the Crime Syndicate would come out, and that was correct. I’m a big fan of the CSA, because, well, they are evil versions of the JLA, it’s just a great concept, and it’s going to be interesting to see what these new versions of the characters are like, and how Johns’ take differs from what the likes of Grant Morrison has done with them before. I will say that I’m liking Ivan Reis’ costume designs for them already, but it is a shame that Earth 3 Aquaman had to die so soon, it was cool to see the bearded, hook-hand version of the character return, even as a villain.

The second prediction I got right was that the Atom was The Outsider’s mole in the Justice Leagues, as it turns out that she’s actually from Earth 3, and that she’s the one behind Superman killing Doctor Light and making him sick, because she went inside his brain and stuck some Kryptonite in there. I loved this reveal, as it explains just why this new Atom exists and why Johns didn’t use Ray Palmer or Ryan Choi, and opens the door for them to return. I have seen some complaining online that DC have screwed up by turning a minority, female character into a villain, but it’s worth remembering that just because she’s a villain doesn’t stop her from being a woman or Latina. Diversity should be present in the villains too ya know!

What else, oh yeah, the stuff with Cyborg here is pretty interesting, as Atomica hacks into him and turns his tech into ‘The Grid’ an evil AI that looks to be joining the CSA. It was shocking to see Vic’s mangled body without the technology, and even though I still find it weird that he’s in the Justice League, I’m liking the direction of his story now.

The opening of this issue was pretty great too, as we got to see Ivan Reis show his takes on some classic Silver Age JLA covers and see the likes of Starro and Amazo again.
The pages where the Justice Leagues were going all evil and crazy were kind of boring, apart from seeing Constantine as the only hero left, but once Atomica’s deception was revealed and everything went to shit and the CSA arrived, I was on board.

I think overall, Johns and Lemire have done a damn good job with this crossover, it took 2 seemingly disparate plots, tied them together very nicely, and Forever Evil looks like being a fun story. But then, I may just be praising this story because I correctly predicted some stuff, I am that shallow.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:23 am

This was the only issue of Trinity War that I picked up, and I didn't feel like I missed a beat. I'm a sucker for the multiverse and, especially, the CSA, so this felt like a solid four dollars well spent.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 343 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Punchy wrote:In these reviews, I make a lot of wild predictions and random spitballing, and it’s not often that I’m right, but with this issue, I was proven to be spot on with my predictions not once, but twice. This either means that I’m a genius, or it just means that Geoff Johns is being really obvious in his writing. But either, way, this was a satisfying conclusion to the surprisingly good Trinity War, and a great set-up for Forever Evil. I know that people have ‘event fatigue’ or some crap like that (how the hell can reading make you fatigued? Some people have weak arms), but I’m excited.

The first prediction that I got correct was that Pandora’s Box was actually the doorway to Earth 3, and that once it opens the Crime Syndicate would come out, and that was correct. I’m a big fan of the CSA, because, well, they are evil versions of the JLA, it’s just a great concept, and it’s going to be interesting to see what these new versions of the characters are like, and how Johns’ take differs from what the likes of Grant Morrison has done with them before. I will say that I’m liking Ivan Reis’ costume designs for them already, but it is a shame that Earth 3 Aquaman had to die so soon, it was cool to see the bearded, hook-hand version of the character return, even as a villain.

The second prediction I got right was that the Atom was The Outsider’s mole in the Justice Leagues, as it turns out that she’s actually from Earth 3, and that she’s the one behind Superman killing Doctor Light and making him sick, because she went inside his brain and stuck some Kryptonite in there. I loved this reveal, as it explains just why this new Atom exists and why Johns didn’t use Ray Palmer or Ryan Choi, and opens the door for them to return. I have seen some complaining online that DC have screwed up by turning a minority, female character into a villain, but it’s worth remembering that just because she’s a villain doesn’t stop her from being a woman or Latina. Diversity should be present in the villains too ya know!

What else, oh yeah, the stuff with Cyborg here is pretty interesting, as Atomica hacks into him and turns his tech into ‘The Grid’ an evil AI that looks to be joining the CSA. It was shocking to see Vic’s mangled body without the technology, and even though I still find it weird that he’s in the Justice League, I’m liking the direction of his story now.

The opening of this issue was pretty great too, as we got to see Ivan Reis show his takes on some classic Silver Age JLA covers and see the likes of Starro and Amazo again.
The pages where the Justice Leagues were going all evil and crazy were kind of boring, apart from seeing Constantine as the only hero left, but once Atomica’s deception was revealed and everything went to shit and the CSA arrived, I was on board.

I think overall, Johns and Lemire have done a damn good job with this crossover, it took 2 seemingly disparate plots, tied them together very nicely, and Forever Evil looks like being a fun story. But then, I may just be praising this story because I correctly predicted some stuff, I am that shallow.

Very interesting reveal.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 612 posts

Postby HNutz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:50 pm

Any good Aquaman pics?

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 213 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:42 am

fieldy snuts wrote:a year long teased event that was just a stealth filler event into another event. IGB review nailed it.

this is exactly the approach that killed his GL book for me.

Exactly. Its hard to get excited for a big reveal when it is revealed a while ago. Oh and the prisoner is obviously
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Lex Luthor of Earth 3
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:48 am

HNutz wrote:Any good Aquaman pics?

Earth 3 version

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:51 am

How did that Aquaman die?

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am

It may be the fact that I read exactly zero issues of this crossover until this, but I'm not getting the hate for it. :smt102

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand