Advertisement

Uncanny X-Men #11 (Human cowards Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Uncanny X-Men #11 (Human cowards Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Another excellent issue of Uncanny X-Men, and this one does a good job of setting up what the future of this book is going to be post-Battle Of The Atom with the introduction of a mysterious villain, who, of all things, appears to be that weird dude from a New Avengers variant cover that everyone thought was an unused design for Ronin. Who the hell is he really? I have no idea, but I’m excited to find out.

This issue was interesting, in that it was narrated by Cyclops. Bendis doesn’t often use interior-narration, so when he does, it’s intriguing, and doubly so here as we’re getting a look into Cyclops’ mind, and lately, Cyclops has been hard to read. What was surprising to me was just how angry Cyke was here, but also at the same time, how proud he was of his new team. Cyclops is one of superhero comics’ most complex characters, so it’s fitting that his thought process was complicated too.

Most of this issue involved the X-Men taking on the weird new Sentinel and getting their butts whooped. I really appreciated that this fight allowed us to see each of the new X-Men in action, we saw Hijack and Tempus use their powers in battle, and a great moment where Goldballs unleashed his balls to great effect. We even saw that healer dude do something useful. The only one we didn’t see in action was that guy who can shape-shift, but then it makes sense that he was useless. Since these characters are just about to be thrust into the madness that is an X-Crossover, it was cool to see them demonstrate just what they can do in a combat setting.

Frazer Irving once again impressed me with his art, especially since this was an action-heavy issue, and his style is not really your traditional superhero action style, but this fight was well done.

Kris Anka fills in on a few pages that show what Dazzler/Mystique is up to, and not only were they nicely drawn, but I’m very interested in what Mystique is up to, it seems like her plan to take over Madripoor has not been abandoned quite yet. She’s a real wildcard in the ongoing Mutant wars, and I can’t wait to see how this all plays out, plus, I think it’s great that Bendis is setting up subplots in one X-Book and carrying them on in the other, these books are really well connected.

So, up next is Battle Of The Atom, and I’m pretty damn excited, all of the X-Men books (except Brian Wood’s, but even that’s decent) have been on the top of their game lately, I can’t wait to see things on another level, it’s EVENT TIME MOTHER-HUBBARDS.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Uncanny X-Men #11 (Human cowards Spoilers)

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 am

i do not like irving on this book at all. And for me this is my least favorite X book just before Wood's X-Men. This issue was better than the last but there is very little about even the roster of this team I find interesting and Cyclops still sucks.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 31 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:24 pm

While I do like Frazer Irving's art, I didn't really care for it on this book at first. Now, I have a different opinion of it, his art kind of gives this book a quirky, indy vibe. Uncanny X-Men is traditionally the flagship X-title, so for it to have this "underground" feel really compliments the concepts that Bendis is infusing into his story.

I really dig this new team but I am dying for Bendis to write a story that makes me connect with them more. As it stands right now, they are just a bunch of colorful, intriguing characters who I keep seeing, and know very little about. I want to know more about Tempus, Triage, Hijack, and the chameleon kid.

Most of all, I just want the rest of the Marvel Universe to forgive Scott Summers already!
ImageImageImage

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:30 pm

The unused concept is obviously Cobra Commander. :P

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Grayson wrote:While I do like Frazer Irving's art, I didn't really care for it on this book at first. Now, I have a different opinion of it, his art kind of gives this book a quirky, indy vibe. Uncanny X-Men is traditionally the flagship X-title, so for it to have this "underground" feel really compliments the concepts that Bendis is infusing into his story.

I really dig this new team but I am dying for Bendis to write a story that makes me connect with them more. As it stands right now, they are just a bunch of colorful, intriguing characters who I keep seeing, and know very little about. I want to know more about Tempus, Triage, Hijack, and the chameleon kid.

Most of all, I just want the rest of the Marvel Universe to forgive Scott Summers already!

Yeah I still see Scott Summers as the privileged cry baby of the X-men. It's like as much as I like All new X-men is as much as I don't like Uncanny.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:40 am

Grayson wrote:While I do like Frazer Irving's art, I didn't really care for it on this book at first. Now, I have a different opinion of it, his art kind of gives this book a quirky, indy vibe. Uncanny X-Men is traditionally the flagship X-title, so for it to have this "underground" feel really compliments the concepts that Bendis is infusing into his story.

you're so oddly passionate about Cyclops.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 am

Oh, Kris Anka... whenever I hear that name, I flash back to the crazy lady who LOVED the Project Rooftop redesigns that put Power Girl into sweatpants, made Angela into a French pirate and whatnot, who called modern designs "crap" and "trash" but would not allow you to respectfully disagree that these designs (half of which came from Anka) weren't the be-all and end-all.

Zechs wrote:The unused concept is obviously Cobra Commander. :P

Maybe it'll be a "Triumph"-like character that got shafted out of being a New Avenger because time became all screwy later on...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:05 am

dairydead wrote:you're so oddly passionate about Cyclops.

I strongly feel that Scott Summers has gotten a bad wrap from other characters in the Marvel Universe, especially characters who have done far more careless and destructive things than he has. If Scott were a member of the Avengers then the worst thing that would have happened to him at the end of Avengers vs. X-Men would have been Cap putting him on double secret probation.
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 18 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

It's Sabastian Shawwith his memory back and powers out of whack so the suit protects him.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Grayson wrote:
I strongly feel that Scott Summers has gotten a bad wrap from other characters in the Marvel Universe, especially characters who have done far more careless and destructive things than he has. If Scott were a member of the Avengers then the worst thing that would have happened to him at the end of Avengers vs. X-Men would have been Cap putting him on double secret probation.

you leave out the fact that Cyclops killed the one person that the vast majority of the X-Men view as a father figure, that's where he crossed the line. And as many times as you keep saying it wasn't him it was dark phoenix, cyclops readily accepted blame in AvX: Consequences... It takes a while to get over someone killing someone you care about.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:10 pm

e_galston wrote:you leave out the fact that Cyclops killed the one person that the vast majority of the X-Men view as a father figure, that's where he crossed the line. And as many times as you keep saying it wasn't him it was dark phoenix, cyclops readily accepted blame in AvX: Consequences... It takes a while to get over someone killing someone you care about.

Scott took responsibility for Xavier's death because he is a real hero. Throughout AvX it was clear that the Phoenix was gradually gaining more control over it's hosts, so as long as there is a shred of doubt in Scott's mind that he could have stopped the Phoenix, he will always blame himself. That's just the type of character that he is. That's why he always comes across as a dick to people. He always has to be in control of his abilities and he extends that same control to all aspects of his being both physical and mental.

Besides, as I have pointed out time and again, other "heroes" in the Marvel Universe have done far worse or are doing far worse and they haven't been branded "terrorists" or incarcerated without due process. But fine, I'll make it easier. The rest of the Marvel Universe doesn't necessarily have to forgive Scott Summers yet but can we a least drop the terrorist bullshit? It's a stretch even for comic book logic.
ImageImageImage

e_galston
Staff Writer

Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Grayson wrote:
Scott took responsibility for Xavier's death because he is a real hero. Throughout AvX it was clear that the Phoenix was gradually gaining more control over it's hosts, so as long as there is a shred of doubt in Scott's mind that he could have stopped the Phoenix, he will always blame himself. That's just the type of character that he is. That's why he always comes across as a dick to people. He always has to be in control of his abilities and he extends that same control to all aspects of his being both physical and mental.

Besides, as I have pointed out time and again, other "heroes" in the Marvel Universe have done far worse or are doing far worse and they haven't been branded "terrorists" or incarcerated without due process. But fine, I'll make it easier. The rest of the Marvel Universe doesn't necessarily have to forgive Scott Summers yet but can we a least drop the terrorist bullshit? It's a stretch even for comic book logic.

Well when one does terrorist like things you get labeled a terrorist. didn't he have Illyana break him out of prison and send the guards to limbo?? (that's a terrorist move there)...

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 11 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:33 pm

e_galston wrote:
Well when one does terrorist like things you get labeled a terrorist. didn't he have Illyana break him out of prison and send the guards to limbo?? (that's a terrorist move there)...

Like supplying the world with renewable energy and feeding the hungry?

Really terrorist like things.....

If anything the Avengers were the terrorists, even Reed Richards pointed this out.

Hab

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Did you read the infinite comic where Scott talked to Jean? It went to lengths to remind readers that Scott was in control, and that he willingly took the responsibility of the Phoenix. Just because the Phoenix can corrupt people doesn't mean he shouldn't be responsible for letting it turn him evil.

Regardless of that, before Dark Phoenix took over Scott, the Phoenix 5 actually became supervillains (while Scott was still in control) and imposed their will on the entire world, taking it over, and enslaving those that wanted freedom in Hell. These are not things i expect the Avengers to look back on fondly.

Regardless, Scott is seen as a terrorist at this point. He's building an army of kids to fight humans. His ideology has actively switched from "teach the world" to "force the world to respect and fear us". He has gone as far as attacking humans to make a point, and is essentially what Magneto was. So we can look at that, and while many Avengers have done terrible things, none of them actively hold supervillain-esque ideologies, and none of them are seen as radical extremists.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm

e_galston wrote:Well when one does terrorist like things you get labeled a terrorist. didn't he have Illyana break him out of prison and send the guards to limbo?? (that's a terrorist move there)...

After Avengers vs. X-Men Scott Summers was imprisoned without due process but he was content to remain unjustly imprisoned. It wasn't until a fellow prisoner was murdered for being a mutant and he discovered what the warden was a mutant-hater who profited off of the suffering of mutants, that Scott decided he would do more good as a free man than he would as a political prisoner. Super villains in the Marvel Universe get treated better than that! Also, if I remember correctly the guards that were sent to limbo were the people who murdered the mutant prisoner. In fact, if I remember correctly they were left alive which is the opposite of how they left their victims.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand