Advertisement

Aquman #23 (It's a monster! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Aquman #23 (It's a monster! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:15 am

The best thing about the last few issues of this book has been seeing 3 big threats loom towards Aquaman without him really knowing about them. Here, all of it comes crashing down on his head. He has to deal with Xebel, with the Scavenger attacking Atlantis, with the first King, and oh yeah, up on the Surface, some people are trying to rescue Ocean Master.

This was a crazily packed issue, and Johns and Pelletier really brought their a-game in the battle sequences, which were epic, and surprisingly brutal. That guy Urn got blown to pieces right on panel! Jeezus. It was also pretty damn cool to see Aquaman summon Topo to take out the Scavenger’s troops, that was a great scene, and a cool demonstration of just how powerful this character is.

The only real downside to this series continues to be the relationship between Aquaman and Mera, which I have no interest in. It’s crazy that DC got rid of pretty much every other superhero marriage for the New 52, and kept this one, the least interesting one. Gah! Hopefully Aquaman will find out that Mera was sent to kill him soon and they will break up.

But I doubt that, considering this issue does something pretty surprising right at the end and jumps forward 6 months. After summoning Topo, Aquaman passes out, and he’s out of it for 6 whole months, which is crazy. I’m very interested to see who’s in charge of Atlantis after this, is it Orm? The First King? Scavenger? Hmmm. Other titles like Ultimate Spider-Man have used a time-jump to good effect, so hopefully Johns can do the same for Aquaman. Although, how come the Justice League didn’t notice that one of their guys was missing for that long?

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 8 posts

Re: Aquman #23 (It's a monster! Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:08 pm

Because that would now place this title at the end of or just after Forever Evil.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Aquman #23 (It's a monster! Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:34 pm

For me, the worst part of this story are the lingering threads left over from the "Throne of Atlantis" arc. Sorry, I'm not overly concerned with Murk and Tula trying to break Orm out of prison on the surface. :smt102

Is it just me or does the pacing of this story feel a little sluggish? Not sure how I feel about the time jump and I guess that I will have to wait until October to find out what's going on. Considering the problems that I have with the pacing, I don't know that this issue was a good issue to tide me over until it returns.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand