Advertisement

Action Comics #23.1: Cyborg Superman Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
penile prisoner

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Action Comics #23.1: Cyborg Superman Preview

Postby Draco x » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:04 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:I like the look of the character... but the new origin is ridiculous. "make him look like his brother but more robotic and with the colors his nephew will someday wear."

:lol:

That's a lot of hoops to jump through to get where they wanted to go.

Here's what the Cookie Monster had to say about this matter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Advertisement

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 pm

What is DC's beef with Zor-El? First they kill him off after bringing him back pre-Nu52, now post reboot, they turn him into this. Do they hate him or just any fans he may have?

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Zechs wrote:
It's the Zor-El part. That's like making Two-Face not Harvey Dent or General Zod not a dude named Zod. You don't take away the identity that's the nature of the character. It connects him to someone he doesn't need to be connected too. It makes him "more connected". The Cyborg Superman is already connected to SUPERMAN, SUPERBOY, and GREEN LANTERN. Why the necessity to tie him to someone who hasn't been tied before? The Brainiac part doesn't bother me since I even said that's how they should incorporate the Cyborg Superman in the DC Movieverse with Superman Returns.

Also this just throwing every available villain to tie into Kara and not Superman himself is ridiculous. She already has He'el and New 52 Eradicator tied to her as well. The best part of Cyborg Superman's origin is gone too. Technically the accident WAS Superman's fault (the fight he had with the Eradicator caused the waves that hit the ship) and in the end he failed to save them all save one (Henshaw's wife Terri). There was a tragedy to it all when Henshaw returned and it freaked the living hell out of his wife. Now it's all gone and replaced with this Anakin/Luke Skywalker subplot with Zor-El and Kara with no doubt the later trying to prove there still is good in him even though he's more machine than man.

Then there's the reasons of Henshaw's insanity slowly being cut away until there's only the machine left and the only emotional a fix of utter hatred for Superman.

The freaking Smallville comic understood all these facts and gave a better origin than the New 52. All the facts that made the Cyborg Superman are all there. You know what they should have done? Use the New 52 Henshaw that appeared in Team 7 and the Spartan program made him survive and use it to be found by Brainiac who then tries to adjust it into making it Kryptonian and hence the Cyborg Superman. Have him fight Superman or Green Lantern and nuke Coast Cit.. oh wait that didn't happen but Hal still turned into Parallax. HOW THE FUCK DID THAT HAPPEN WITH NO HENSHAW OR MONGUL?!

Better idea? Just have the Henshaw from the old universe survive. It's the ultimate cruel joke. The entire universe gets wiped out and rebooted. Old Hank? He survives and remembers everything from the past ala Psycho Pirate. Give me my damn paycheck DC I write better than all your Superman ongoing writers save your digital ones.

Hell if I was Jurgens himself whenever he gets to write or gets some authority back in a Superman book I hope he retcons and pulls a Prometheus or Lobo on this utter shit.

*sigh* I didn't want to rant. I didn't even want to look. WHY DID I HAVE TO LOOK AT TIHS PREVIEW!?

Zechs pretty much put it better than I ever could here. I am sorry but this New 52 origin for the Cyborg Superman is utter crap and I am wondering how drunk the writers were when they thought making Supergirl's dad this new incarnation of the character was a good idea. I am still reeling from Twilight Lobo and Spawn Doomsday and now this dreck has put me in facepalm mode again. :smt011 :smt011

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Lord Ice wrote:What is DC's beef with Zor-El? First they kill him off after bringing him back pre-Nu52, now post reboot, they turn him into this. Do they hate him or just any fans he may have?

This is the Didio era of DC so what do you expect? Didio and co are seeing how many people they can piss off with all the stunts they keep pulling.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Grayson wrote:I don't mind the new origin, in fact it's actually kind of intriguing. If I had more interest in the Superman family titles, I would probably check this out. The only issue that I have with it, is the same issue that I have with a lot of the new origins of DC characters that don't originate from Earth. How does Barry Allen messing with time to save his mother, effect entire races of extraterrestrial life? Even factoring in Pandora meddling, it's difficult to wrap my head around and I usually love high concept ideas and stories.

It has more to do with the merging timelines and time moving "the correct way" now that they're pieced together.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm

syxxpakk wrote:It has more to do with the merging timelines and time moving "the correct way" now that they're pieced together.

So did Pandora interfering with Barry Allen's time traveling retroactively merge DC, Wildstorm, and Vertigo at the beginning of time? I'm asking because from the books that I have been reading, it was never really made clear...or I forgot... :oops:
ImageImageImage

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 pm

That's the way I understand it.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:07 pm

And, according to Pandora at the end of "Flashpoint", the three universes were originally one, then were split to weaken them for some upcoming massive threat (presumably Forever Evil ?) so she re-merged them as Barry was attempting to fix the time-line.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 pm

And they were split into three universes... I wonder if that might hint towards Earth 3?

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:55 am

syxxpakk wrote:
It actually makes perfect sense if you've read the story.

How so? I am genuinely curious.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:57 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:How so? I am genuinely curious.

Well at first I thought it was because he was shaped from her memories (like everything else on the planet for the most part) - but looking back I might have inferred that myself.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm

syxx, you're probably thinking of the "assistant" Delacore. Whenever he shape-shifts that is derived from memories, as are the other replicants of the JLA and her mother, Alura.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:21 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:syxx, you're probably thinking of the "assistant" Delacore. Whenever he shape-shifts that is derived from memories, as are the other replicants of the JLA and her mother, Alura.

Yeah, I think that's probably where I got the idea. My bad guys!

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:I like the look of the character... but the new origin is ridiculous. "make him look like his brother but more robotic and with the colors his nephew will someday wear."

That's a lot of hoops to jump through to get where they wanted to go.

Okay I agree it's a stretch that Brainiac made him look like Jor-El. Unless it was a jab because Jor has always been considered the more astute and successful of the two. As far as the outfit that is the El family crest as well as the basic design and colors of the El family "graduation" outfit. This was explained way back in "Supergirl" and is why she was given her outfit before she left Krypton.

Taa daa :lol:
-

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:57 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Okay I agree it's a stretch that Brainiac made him look like Jor-El. Unless it was a jab because Jor has always been considered the more astute and successful of the two. As far as the outfit that is the El family crest as well as the basic design and colors of the El family "graduation" outfit. This was explained way back in "Supergirl" and is why she was given her outfit before she left Krypton.

Taa daa :lol:

I was kinda curious as to where the super suit came from in the New52. Ever since I started reading comics WAY back in the early nineties, I dip my foot into Superman comics every two or three years. Since my last Superman comic was... issue 2 or 3 from the current run... I'm about to hit my window to check the titles out again.

Money permitting, of course. I've got a next gen video game system to buy. ;)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to Previews