Advertisement

Sharon Carter Poll (Spoilers for Captain America #10)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Do you agree with me?

Yes
17%

Amoebas
No
33%

Chris, Johnny Smith
Neither (please state reason in thread)
50%

chap22, Draco x, MikeinLA

Total votes : 6

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Sharon Carter Poll (Spoilers for Captain America #10)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:12 am

In the thread about Captain America #10 there was a discussion about Sharon Carter and the fact that she didn't return with Cap from Dimension Z to the MU after sacrificing herself to ensure his escape. Grayson was disappointed in this ending while Chap and myself admitted that neither of us cared about Sharon Carter and therefore weren't really affected by this fact. Well, other than the fact that it was a well written ending that we enjoyed.

This made me begin to think about just how I saw the character and her place among Cap's supporting cast. I realized that I actually preferred her dead to being alive. The thing is, I think she added more to Cap being the true love that he lost, that he still measured all other women against. Because of this, there is a part of me that kind of wishes that this development this issue becomes permanent and that she isn't brought back. I know with comics being the way they are now that this wish is unrealistic, but I can't help my feeling that she adds more to Cap being dead than she does being alive.

The reason I started this thread instead of posting this in the issue discussion thread was due to the fact that I wanted to include a poll asking if people agreed or disagreed with my position. So, do your agree or disagree with me?
Last edited by Stephen Day on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Sharon Carter Poll (Spoilers for Captain America #10)

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:26 am

Disagree. Sharon is my preferred Cap love interest.

Tattooed Jesus
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 719 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Tattooed Jesus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:41 am

I do agree with you Mr Day but I doubt that Sharon is really dead anyways and we will probably see her return sometime around the release of the new Cap movie next year.

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 67 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:50 am

Never liked Sharon. Bernie Rosenthal was a much better romantic interest for Cap, since she was far removed from the superspy world that he's part of.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:32 pm

I actually always preferred Diamondback, as the bad girl that Cap inspired to be good, and the girl that earned Cap's trust as he believed in her even when nobody else (including herself) did. seeing as how that inspirational quality, and that belief in his fellow man, are what I've always thought of as Cap's greatest, and most singly-defining characteristics, she seemed like the perfect love interest for him. plus she was never in any danger of being the helpless damsel-in-distress like Bernie could be.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:33 pm

also, to slightly correct Mr. Day, I DO like Sharon, and I hope she comes back some day soon, she's just never been my preferred partner for Cap.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:50 pm

chap22 wrote:also, to slightly correct Mr. Day, I DO like Sharon, and I hope she comes back some day soon, she's just never been my preferred partner for Cap.

Ah, sorry to misinterpret your position then.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Ah, sorry to misinterpret your position then.

no worries. :wink:

thing is, I have a hard time answering the poll as worded, b/c I agree with you in that she's not really who i'd want Cap to end up with, but I disagree in that I think she's an interesting, fun character on her own, at least as she was "re-invented" by Waid. I like Sharon as the hard-talking, take-no-shit SHIELD agent who thanks to her history is the one female who doesn't act like she's in awe of Cap. she'll call him on shit and talk to him in a way that nobody else does, which I think makes for an interesting dynamic. i'd just prefer that the romance side of it be over and done with, because that angle was never there for the first 2 decades of my comic-reading life.

where I really disagree with you is on your position that "The thing is, I think she added more to Cap being the true love that he lost, that he still measured all other women against." I don't think Cap needs that, and Marvel already has that character: she's named Gwen Stacy, Karen Page, Pepper Potts, Jane Foster...

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:17 pm

chap22 wrote:no worries. :wink:

thing is, I have a hard time answering the poll as worded, b/c I agree with you in that she's not really who i'd want Cap to end up with, but I disagree in that I think she's an interesting, fun character on her own, at least as she was "re-invented" by Waid. I like Sharon as the hard-talking, take-no-shit SHIELD agent who thanks to her history is the one female who doesn't act like she's in awe of Cap. she'll call him on shit and talk to him in a way that nobody else does, which I think makes for an interesting dynamic. i'd just prefer that the romance side of it be over and done with, because that angle was never there for the first 2 decades of my comic-reading life.

where I really disagree with you is on your position that "The thing is, I think she added more to Cap being the true love that he lost, that he still measured all other women against." I don't think Cap needs that, and Marvel already has that character: she's named Gwen Stacy, Karen Page, Pepper Potts, Jane Foster...

Fair enough, I just added a third option which I hope satisfies you. By editing the poll I wiped out the votes made so far, but since there were only two votes in, with Troy in agreement and Chris in disagreement, I don't think it'll be that hard to keep track.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 646 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:38 pm

chap22 wrote:I actually always preferred Diamondback, as the bad girl that Cap inspired to be good, and the girl that earned Cap's trust as he believed in her even when nobody else (including herself) did. seeing as how that inspirational quality, and that belief in his fellow man, are what I've always thought of as Cap's greatest, and most singly-defining characteristics, she seemed like the perfect love interest for him. plus she was never in any danger of being the helpless damsel-in-distress like Bernie could be.

I agree with this completely.

However I voted a straight "yes I agree".

I first met Sharon way back when she was originally alive and - she was boring. Apart from her first appearances (ah - those classic Batroc stories), she added nothing. When the decision came to kill her I doubt anyone at the House of Ideas objected. I know from my perspective it barely mattered (except that Cap was melancholy for a short while (which during the DeMatteis Bernie stuff made her loss more interesting than her last decade alive).

When Waid brought her back I was pissed. A lame character returns and Diamondback went into limbo. :smt011

Yeah - there's no way she's dead, but on the plus side, as she doesn't have a super-soldier serum in her veins, she could be an old hag by the time she gets out. :lol:

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:41 pm

chap22 wrote:I actually always preferred Diamondback, as the bad girl that Cap inspired to be good, and the girl that earned Cap's trust as he believed in her even when nobody else (including herself) did. seeing as how that inspirational quality, and that belief in his fellow man, are what I've always thought of as Cap's greatest, and most singly-defining characteristics, she seemed like the perfect love interest for him. plus she was never in any danger of being the helpless damsel-in-distress like Bernie could be.

I agree plus she is hotter than Sharon Carter

both made by Cat-Scratch

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1465 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:28 pm

I guess I should clarify the main problem that I had with Sharon's "death" in this issue. There are so many other relationships ending in comics, I was excited to read about a relationship moving forward. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Sharon Carter and I actually enjoy her relationship with Steve. However, being a fan of her and their relationship isn't why I am so upset by her "death." In the past 5 years we have seen the end of Peter Parker and Mary Jane, Scott Summers and Emma Frost, Lois Lane and Clark Kent, Buddy and Ellen Baker, Jay and Joan Garrick, Barry and Iris Allen, Black Panther and Storm, Colossus and Kitty Pryde, and Green Arrow and Black Canary among countless others. Hell, all DC did after Barry Allen came back was reinforce how important Iris was to Barry Allen, only to split them apart during the relaunch.

I get that realistically most relationships don't work out but I also like to have relationships that do work out as well because Reed and Sue are not exactly the best example of a healthy relationship. It's nice to have other relationships in comics, that are long term, and don't end with some ridiculous retcon or over-the-top death. Just let 2 characters be together and be happy. That's all I really want. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Sharon will be back at some point, rest assured. As for love interests, I am on the fence with her in particular. Don't mind her as Cap's squeeze but if they were to pair him with some other female it wouldn't bother me either. I did kind of like the idea of Cap and Black Widow but that never really went anywhere.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:37 pm

I like Bucky/Black Widow.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand