Advertisement

X-men: Battle of the Atom #1 and All new X-Men # 16 Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Self Important

X-men: Battle of the Atom #1 and All new X-Men # 16 Spoilers

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:37 am

Bendis is not disappointing yet.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Re: X-men: Battle of the Atom #1 and All new X-Men # 16 Spoi

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:41 am

Ok Battle of the Atom first-

New Mutant activity in the hell hole of phoenix, AZ. Original X-men and kitty go to check it out. Sentinels show up, Uncanny X-men show up, Young Cyke is blasted and old Cyke disappears. The healer from Uncanny heals young Cyke and old Cyke reappears.Everyone goes back to their corners. The Jean Grey school team decided it's time for the original X-men to go back. Then boom Future X-men show up.More on that team in the next post.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 am

All New X-Men #16

Future X-men team consists of
Old ass horned beast
Molly Hayes(her and Wolverine have met like 6 times)
Deadpool
Charles Xaivers grandson
Old ass Kitty Pryde
Giant retard Iceman
and Xorn with boobies

So they talk about how the original X-men need to go back to their time...which is weird since that's what was about to happen....anyway, they talk and suddenly Wolverine pops his claws,they fight they stop. He says it's not him the only person that could do that is Jean...who is gone. Jean doesn't like that she can't read the future x-men's minds and escapes trying first with Beast who doesn't want to leave and then with Cyke because he's all about the fire crotch. They escape in the black bird all thelma and louise style. Meanwhile back in the X-mansion Rachel Summers wants to know why Jean was so pissed, Charles Jr. says it's because he was blocking their minds because know one should now about their future. Rachel is also pissed because Xoobies is all mysterious and Xorn last time killed Jean....well Xoobies takes off the helmet to reveal that she is the Original Jean Grey grown up from being left in the present.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 am

I don't normally summarize issues but these were actually good. And I fully expect Wood to drop the ball and screw up next week. But the story is shaping up to be very interesting with still no real villain or even any kind of conflict happening after 2 issues.

- Les Paul

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 332 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:04 am

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:18 am

Yeah it's still comics and time travel, suspension of disbelief is literally part of the whole thing.

- Les Paul

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Bear du jour

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

Chesscub wrote:Xoobies :lol:

Yeah I'm proud of that one.

- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:30 pm

As you should be. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Yep, it’s time once again for the X-Men books to join together for yet another crossover, but I’m much more pumped for this one than I have been for a lot of the other ones. This is mainly because I’m already reading all of the books involved in the crossover, so my wallet is only adversely impacted for 2 one-shots, and also because, with the exception of Brian Wood’s X-Men title (which is still good), all of these books have been amazing lately, and it’s going to be brilliant to see them all come together and for this time-travel stuff to really get crazy.

This opening issue of the story is mostly set-up for what’s to come, but it was still very enjoyable nonetheless, as Bendis handily recaps the recent status quo of the various X-Books, delivers some great action and hits us with a great ending. The book opens with an introduction to the fact that this book is all about the future, as Magik travels forwards in time to see if things turn out well or badly for the X-Men. I think you can guess what the answer is there.

We then head to the Jean Grey School, where Kitty Pryde and her team of time-travelling original X-Men are sent on a mission to stop a newly powered-up Mutant from destroying Phoenix. Of course, things get more complicated, as those pesky Sentinels get involved, and then Cyclops and his team show up to help out. I was surprised to see that these two teams were so willing to work together, but I guess Kitty Pryde is nowhere near as antagonistic towards Cyclops as Wolverine is. This fight sequence was a lot of fun, especially because it’s drawn by Frank Cho, who is simply one of my favourite superhero artists. I feel he’s unfairly pigeonholed as a cheesecake perv artist, and whilst he does draw very hot women, he also draws very hot everything else, and I loved that Bendis gave the new Mutant in this issue the power to create dragon monsters, nobody draws better dragons than Frank Cho.

In the midst of this fight, something crazy happens, Young Cyclops is killed by a Sentinel! Yep, killed. This causes adult Cyclops to disappear from existence, which is worrying. But fortunately, one of the blank space that was formerly Cyclops’ new recruits, Christopher Muse, has healing powers, and he brings OG Cyke back from the dead. This was a great scene, not only does it get across just how powerful Christopher is, but it also shows the consequences of the original X-Men being here in the present day.

Because of these shocking events, the modern day X-Men decide to send the original five back to the past, only before they do so… some X-Men from the future show up! This development was spoiled by the cover, but still, it was cool to see, and these future X-Men look very cool. There have been a lot of dystopian future characters in X-History, so they have a lot to live up to, but I trust Bendis, Aaron and Wood.

This was a great starter to this crossover, it has great art, great action, it niftily catches up new readers with the vast array of characters and points of view that make up the X-Men universe these days, throws in a curveball, and wraps everything up in some great Bendis dialogue. I can’t wait for part 2. Wait, what’s that? It’s out this week too? Well, let’s get on with it then…

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Battle Of The Atom continues, and since it’s from the same writer as Part 1, it’s no wonder that there’s a seamless transition. The problem with a lot of crossovers comes when you hand over from one writer to another, but so far, this is all Bendis, and it’s all great.

After a brief opening sequence where Christopher Muse freaks out about his powers and current Cyclops reassures him about the craziness in their lives, we are right back into that craziness, as the Future X-Men are here, and they are not happy. I love this line-up of characters, you’ve got Kitty Pryde, Beast, Deadpool, Molly Hayes, a monstrous Iceman, a female Xorn and the grandson of Charles Xavier (I haven’t been reading X-Men Legacy, does Legion have a love interest? Who’s the mother?). They explain that, yep, bringing the OG X-Men into the present was a huge mistake, and they’ve come to make them stop. I really like the layers of this story. The original X-Men are visited by a Beast from their future who warns them about the terrible future (our present), and then in turn, the present X-Men are visited by a Beast from their future! There may be a lot of time-travel in the Marvel Universe these days, but I think the X-Books are using it the best.

I loved the various reactions to the Future X-Men here, especially the Icemans freaking out about their fucked-up future. Of course, this isn’t just a peaceful dialogue between the various characters, for some reason, Wolverine pops his claws and attacks. Why? Well, Jean Grey made him do it. Bendis flashes back to show us inside Jean’s mind as the Future X-Men introduce themselves, and she doesn’t trust them, as they are blocking their minds. After first attempting to get her new love interest OG Beast to run away with her, she finally convinces OG Cyclops to come with her, and now we’ve got those two on the run, and I expect various factions of X-Men chasing after them. I must admit, it brought a smile to my face to see Scott and Jean back together again. I wonder if Jean is right not to trust the Future X-Men or not.

The reveal at the end certainly raises a lot more questions, as the Female Xorn reveals herself to be… Jean Grey? What the? What a great ending, Bendis really does know how to get people on the hook for the next issue.

The art for this issue comes from Stuart Immonen, and if you’ve been following this title regularly, you’ll know just how good he is, his style is so good, and it’s even more impressive given the sheer number of characters he has to draw here, even George Perez might struggle with this story! Battle Of The Atom has kicked ass so far, now it’s over to Wood and Aaron to see if they can keep up the pace with Bendis.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 989 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:45 pm

These were 2 of the 3 books that I didn't receive today because my LCS was shorted half of their books! Now I have to wait until Friday! :smt013

Chesscub wrote:Xoobies :lol:

:lol:

Glad to know I was right about who "Xoobies" really is.
ImageImageImage

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 749 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Grayson wrote:These were 2 of the 3 books that I didn't receive today because my LCS was shorted half of their books! Now I have to wait until Friday! :smt013

:lol:

Glad to know I was right about who "Xoobies" really is.

Just read Punchy's un-spoiler-tagged reviews above. :P
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:49 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Just read Punchy's un-spoiler-tagged reviews above. :P

But his is lacking Xoobies.

- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 749 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
But his is lacking Xoobies.

No spoilers! :x

I haven't read these yet. Dammit, and put together with something Doombug said to me earlier, I now know what you're talking about. :x
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand